PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Wash

solid
23rd April 2011, 12:06 PM
I tested out the wonder wash today. I've had this thing for the past month or two, and finally got around to trying it out.

I was expecting a gimmick, but this thing really works. I put in my smelliest work clothes...2 pair socks, 1 underwear, 1 t-shirt, and a pair of fire hose pants. ;D There was still room to add a little more. I'm not going to lie, these clothes smelled from rigor.

You add a little detergent, some hot water, and spin it around for a couple of minutes. The hot water builds up pressure inside. I was surprised at the pressure, and even more surprised at how clean the clothes came out. The water at the end was brown from dirt and grime. But the clothes smell fresh and clean.

I gave the clothes another rinse, and hung them out to dry.

All in all, it took less than 10 minutes to do this small load of laundry. I used maybe little more than a gallon of water total.

I like this product. It will do well in off the grid living. The only downside is while the bucket is extremely tough and well made, the base/frame seems a little weak. I don't know how long it will last. If the frame breaks eventually, may need to improvise a solution down the road.

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/products/Wonderwash.html

freespirit
2nd May 2011, 08:46 PM
that's pretty slick, solid!

what's a rig like that worth?

drafter
2nd May 2011, 08:58 PM
We've had one for a couple years. We stopped using it. Just way too much hassle for how small the load had to be. We found it was quicker just to use a washboard in the tub.

I'm sure it would be great for a single guy that only needed to wash a couple items.

Book
3rd May 2011, 07:52 AM
We found it was quicker just to use a washboard in the tub.

How does it rinse?

There are two ways you can rinse the clothes:

1. By Machine. After draining the grey water with the detachable drain spout, leave the clothes in the washer and fill with clean cold water. Replace the pressure lid, tighten and turn the machine for about 30 seconds. Drain and wring dry.

2. By Hand. Fill the sink or basin with clean water. Empty wash into sink and agitate by hand.

:) washboard does seem more practical

Road Runner
3rd May 2011, 09:41 AM
You could do like my uncle in his 90's used to do: Put clothes in kitchen sink with it half full of water. Use toilet plunger to stir them around. Hang out on line to dry. No one let it bug them until he was doing it in the middle of winter, everything froze!!
Book you would make my day if you found a photo of that!!

Book
3rd May 2011, 08:55 PM
You could do like my uncle in his 90's used to do: Put clothes in kitchen sink with it half full of water. Use toilet plunger to stir them around. Hang out on line to dry. No one let it bug them until he was doing it in the middle of winter, everything froze!!
Book you would make my day if you found a photo of that!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Zr9vi2NHzIA/TH_7ky58XKI/AAAAAAAAAMA/TFARvoaGsK0/s1600/P9010007.JPG

http://starvingstudentsurvivor.blogspot.com/2010/09/ive-got-new-way-to-wash.html

:)

Road Runner
4th May 2011, 05:56 PM
I am still laughing, I can invision my uncle on the end of the toilet plunger! What a character he was.
Thanks again, Book.