PDA

View Full Version : .357 Amadeo Rossi 6-shot Revolver M971 VRC - vs. .22 Rifle - Opinions ?

gunDriller
24th April 2011, 05:00 PM
I looked at this gun today, it looks very high-quality in terms of machining.

Didn't get a chance to use it, just saw it at a garage sale.

The guy is asking $375.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3305/img3067q.jpg

What's it for - Hunting + Home Security.

I also saw a .22 Rifle with a 25 shot magazine at a local store - $200 - it is a Ruger.

In my case I have wild turkey and deer cruising through my property ... I would like to harvest a turkey and, once I become comfortable & to some extent proficient with that, then, a deer.

Is a .22 enough to kill a deer if you shoot them precisely in the head at a distance of 50 yards or less ? Or is it more likely to produce an injured animal that runs off into the woods - do you need a bigger caliber ? I was thinking there might be a high-velocity round of the .22 caliber.

I was reading about the US Army using .22's in the field in an article about the Pat Tillman case. I figure if they use it there, with the official purpose of killing the designated bad guys, then a .22 might be sufficient to shoot a medium-sized game animal.

I doubt my aim would be good enough with the .357 handgun to shoot a deer precisely. But since I held it in my hand today, I have to say, now that's a beautiful piece of steel.

As I explore the technology of home-defense, I get the impression that a handgun is useful for home defense, but not hunting unless you have exceptional aim. And a rifle is good for home defense and hunting.

Do people sometimes prefer handguns for home defense (for example, dealing with a home-invasion-robbery situation) because they can be "drawn" quicker, in a situation where tenths of a second can mean the difference between life & death ?

Large Sarge
24th April 2011, 05:06 PM
I am just speculating ok.

but the M-16 was/is 22 calibre also

I think you would want magnum rounds (for hunting)

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-228967.html

hollowpoints for self defense

I am not convinced you would penetrate a deers skull for a head shot, I think it has a good chance of bouncing off

NOOB
24th April 2011, 05:16 PM
I personally wouldn't buy a used rossi at that price. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx
I also would not want to be shot with a 22lr but a deer hunting round it is not.

Buy a 400 frn wasr ak. Home defense and deer gun all in one.

Handguns are for fighting your way back to the rifle you should have had in the first place. In home defense, a shotgun or a rifle are the way to go. A pistol is for discreet carry outside the home.

Large Sarge
24th April 2011, 05:23 PM
a small deer hunting rifle is more traditionally a .270 winchester (as an example)

you get much below that, and its touch and go on bringing them down with any reliability.... (IMO)

osoab
24th April 2011, 05:48 PM
This is my combo gunDriller.

Taurus MODEL 66 .357 MAG. REVOLVER (http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=278&category=Pistol)

and the

Marlin 1894 in 357 magnum. (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1894_45Colt.asp)

I would still get yourself a WASR 10.

Heimdhal
24th April 2011, 06:23 PM
without near perfect shot placement and some luck, a .22LR is not sufficient to bring down a deer, not with reliability and consistency. The military uses the 5.56, which is .223 in diameter. Yes, its a .22. No, it is NOTHING like a .22LR. One is going about 1100 FPS and weighs 34, the .223 is going 3000+ FPS and weighs 55-75 grains.

But you should have a gun in the caliber, as they are great to learn on, practice on, and yes, there are even some tactical and hunting uses as well.

If you need a self defense gun and like revolvers, get the .357. If you have self defense covered and dont have a .22, get one. Everybody should have a .22 ;)

ETA: Handguns are great for home defense, especialy if you have tight spaces to operate in that a long gun, even with a short barrel, might have trouble in.

If you have no long gun, its hard to go wrong starting with an SKS or WAS-R in 7.62x39. Cheap ammo, which means more practice and its extremley common. Both can also double as hunting rifles with some good soft-point ammo. .357 can be used for hunting as well. Perfect Practice makes perfect. Whatever you get, practice, practice, and practice, perfectly, and youll be confident enough to make the shot when it counts...hopefully!

Book
24th April 2011, 06:25 PM
Unless that money is burning a hole in your pocket spend some more time deciding upon your actual needs. There are more than just these two choices out there.

osoab
24th April 2011, 06:32 PM
Unless that money is burning a hole in your pocket spend some more time deciding upon your actual needs. There are more than just these two choices out there.

Yep gunDriller needs a 45/70 too.

.50 wouldn't hurt either. ;D

willie pete
24th April 2011, 06:38 PM
IF I was going to spend at least $375, it wouldn't be for that used Rossi.. :D ...and the M-16 does have a a .22 cal rifle bore, but the vast difference is the powder charge behind each.....
You could probably kill a deer with a .22 LR, I don't think it'd be practical though, I don't know the laws, but it's probably against the law to hunt deer with a Rim-Fire cartridge

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9193/22lrvs223.jpg

A: .22 LR

B: .223

solid
25th April 2011, 11:50 AM
Yep gunDriller needs a 45/70 too.

.50 wouldn't hurt either. ;D

I second the 45-70. :)

GunDriller, my combo is a Glock 27 and shotgun, if needed for home defense. The 45-70 for larger game such as deer and pirates, and heck just about anything in North America.

The two guns I'd love to add, would be a 22 for small game, and a 44 mag Ruger Blackhawk.

That .357 Rossi looks like a nice gun, and the price is right too. I think it would be good for home defense.

Like others have said, analyze your needs and buy the correct tool/gun to fit your needs. Everyone's situation is different. Sounds like you are doing that though...let us know what you decide!