PDA

View Full Version : sometimes i love banks

chad
25th April 2011, 10:43 AM
was out of town for easter in mn. my dad anted me to sign some paperwork at the bank so i could be on his account "in case something happened to him." he's getting in to his late 60s and is all worried about having a heart attack, etc.

so we went to the bank. big local place. local, but big.

there's this case on the side of the bank with coin sets for sale in it. state proof quarters, sacajawea dollars, etc.

when what, oh what, to my wandering eyes should appear?

http://i52.tinypic.com/105zjic.jpg

even better, little placards on them...$39.95 plus tax. alas, that was all they had. ;D

my dad was like, "what are you buying that for?" :oo-->

SLV^GLD
25th April 2011, 10:46 AM
Did you point your dad to the nearest ticker that indicates you just picked them up for $10-$20 less than you can turn around and sell them for?

chad
25th April 2011, 10:49 AM
Did you point your dad to the nearest ticker that indicates you just picked them up for $10-$20 less than you can turn around and sell them for?

i tried, but "silver is in a bubble."

ximmy
25th April 2011, 10:50 AM

;D ;D ;D When everyone and their dad is saying "Buy silver" like they said, "Buy real estate" then we will know silver is in a bubble...

chad
25th April 2011, 10:53 AM
i've never owned an SAE before. they came with these little cards from the mint assuring me they were silver. :-*

Cobalt
25th April 2011, 10:55 AM
Your bank president is probably on the phone right now asking for a bailout on the $20 they just lost as a toxic investment

osoab
25th April 2011, 10:57 AM

I thought they woke up.

Did they go back to sleep already?

chad
25th April 2011, 10:59 AM
Your bank president is probably on the phone right now asking for a bailout on the $20 they just lost as a toxic investment

i was perplexed at how a bank could be confused as to the true price of ag. i have my dad on "bank investigative" mode now. he goes there once a week and is going to check the case for me. makes no sense they would sell them for the price they did. i'm still confused, but happy, about it.

osab, that was my mom (they have been divorced 25 years, live in different states, are remarried).

solid
25th April 2011, 11:28 AM
I thought they woke up.

Did they go back to sleep already?

Oh, they woke up. The awake one's are all over in China, and other parts of Asia, dumping the dollar.

It's only our guys that are still asleep. ;D

osoab
25th April 2011, 11:30 AM
osab, that was my mom (they have been divorced 25 years, live in different states, are remarried).

Ok, I thought you had said that the woke up ones lived close to you and going to MN didn't seem all that close.

By the way, how is your mom's awakening process going?

Sparky
25th April 2011, 11:39 AM
They probably purchased those things for $30 three months ago, and are so out of tune with the silver market that it was nobody's job to even think of re-pricing them.

vacuum
25th April 2011, 11:50 AM

i was perplexed at how a bank could be confused as to the true price of ag. i have my dad on "bank investigative" mode now. he goes there once a week and is going to check the case for me. makes no sense they would sell them for the price they did. i'm still confused, but happy, about it.

The bank probably bought them around a spot of $25, marked them up, and put them on display. The next coins probably won't be at that price unless they've got a stock of them at headquarters or something before they order more.

gunDriller
25th April 2011, 12:19 PM
since you have had good luck, you could go back and ask for rolls of half dollars. you never know. you might be on a roll.

Shami-Amourae
25th April 2011, 12:39 PM
I was looking around for crazy deals like this early this morning. I had thought about this, how there's got to be some really stupid ass shop keepers who don't check the price of silver everyday and constantly update their prices.

I eventually came around this Indian website:
http://www.chennaiblossoms.com/silverware.htm

At Indian weddings they traditionally give out these silver coins with their deities on them, and according to this website, they are selling 0.8 troy ounce coins for $11.68. Seems to good to be true, or hopefully they don't realize the current price of silver. Anyone else want to look into this for me and tell me what you think? I don't know if this is something for India only, but seriously, WTF is going on here?

I found some more Indian websites with a similar story, and I researched the purity and everything. Most of the Indian websites keep the prices up to date, but a handful don't...

Ponce
25th April 2011, 12:45 PM
My bank is aware of the real price of nickels but only because the government told them not to give them out anymore.........those working pets for the "bankers= Jews" are the more ignorant people that I know.

freespirit
25th April 2011, 12:56 PM
Are those Liberty dollars a .999 bullion round, or are they 80% silver? Sorry for such an elementary question, but I don't know them.

This is Awoke, btw.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
25th April 2011, 01:54 PM
Hi Awoke,

If it's a legit Silver American Eagle, then it's .999 fine silver.

If it's an American Silver Dollar (From before we had silver eagles) then I believe that would make it .715 ounce of 90% silver? not sure.

chad
25th April 2011, 02:05 PM
it's a 2011 SAE, .999 pure.

SLV^GLD
25th April 2011, 02:17 PM
To my knowledge there are no 90% $1 USD coins with the walking liberty depicted on the obverse. The American Silver Eagle is the only $1 USD coin with the walking liberty depiction but then it actually contains more than a dollar's worth of silver so I do not personally consider a dollar coin but rather a 1oz silver bullion coin.

The walking liberty depiction does appear on half dollar coins mintedf (IIRC) between 1916 and 1945.

There was a seated liberty $1 USD dollar coin and there is a standing liberty quarter dollar coin but IINM, the walking liberty depiction as done by A. Weinman only appears on the 1916-1945 half dollar and on the Silver American Eagle.

Awoke
26th April 2011, 05:17 AM
Nice score, Chad!

Buddha
26th April 2011, 06:52 AM
I was looking around for crazy deals like this early this morning. I had thought about this, how there's got to be some really stupid ass shop keepers who don't check the price of silver everyday and constantly update their prices.

I eventually came around this Indian website:
http://www.chennaiblossoms.com/silverware.htm

At Indian weddings they traditionally give out these silver coins with their deities on them, and according to this website, they are selling 0.8 troy ounce coins for $11.68. Seems to good to be true, or hopefully they don't realize the current price of silver. Anyone else want to look into this for me and tell me what you think? I don't know if this is something for India only, but seriously, WTF is going on here?

I found some more Indian websites with a similar story, and I researched the purity and everything. Most of the Indian websites keep the prices up to date, but a handful don't...

Shit Shami, I think that you maybe be on to something, It says FREE shipping to the U.S. Also 25 grams, but it does not mention purity, or if it is even silver. It says "Ganesh Silver Coin" but silver is also a color to people. I have to do some digging on this.

Even though silver is high compared relatively to what is has been, we can get ahead even further by finding deals. Just think, something more than doubles in price in about 3 months and people still don't know what it is.

cthulu
26th April 2011, 06:56 AM
what bank was this?

chad
26th April 2011, 07:01 AM
what bank was this?

bank forward