PDA

View Full Version : How to pay a $12 fine:

TheNocturnalEgyptian
28th April 2011, 03:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iq37c.jpg

$109 after administrative and processing fees.

This almost went in "Thought-Provoking Photos", but it's a little too Provoking...needed its own thread.

And no, this is not my statute violation.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
28th April 2011, 03:17 PM
What is an "Offense Surcharge"? What is a "Unitary Assessment"? Why are these 683% more than the principle fine?

Serpo
28th April 2011, 03:22 PM
The actual fine is only a small proportion of the total :redfc :boom

ximmy
28th April 2011, 03:25 PM
The officer who pulls you over has salary requirements...

Plastic
28th April 2011, 04:02 PM
I have sworn to myself out of principal to take jail instead of paying their blackmail, so my answer is time served.

ximmy
28th April 2011, 04:27 PM
I have sworn to myself out of principal to take jail instead of paying their blackmail, so my answer is time served.

They charge $15 a day in jail for meals.

Plus Offense Surcharges and Unitary Assessments billed to you upon your release...

TheNocturnalEgyptian
28th April 2011, 04:40 PM

If one cannot pay, does this incur further jailtime? Or would they just put the individual straight to work...or some third option?

Glass
28th April 2011, 05:10 PM
Its because he/she argued it in court and lost. They got away cheaply. Downunder the fees are 4 - 5 times that amount at about 2500% on top of the original fine.

iOWNme
28th April 2011, 05:18 PM
Hey, its only Commerce, right?

Incredible.

messianicdruid
29th April 2011, 06:03 AM
My son got a ticket for "Exhibition of Acceleration" a few years ago. Long story shortened, after two appearances in "court", we sent them 120 bucks in pennies, unwrapped. They still talk about that down a city hall.

SLV^GLD
29th April 2011, 06:11 AM

Do they force you to eat them? Can't you just decline the offer?
I hear they poison the food with saltpeter, anyhow.

Buddha
29th April 2011, 08:43 AM
What is an "Offense Surcharge"? What is a "Unitary Assessment"? Why are these 683% more than the principle fine?

Because they can be.

SLV^GLD
29th April 2011, 08:47 AM

Because they can be.

Precisely.
The general statutes provide specific penalty per infraction PLUS associated fees. The penalty money has specific accounting destinations. The additional fees are effectively slush money.