PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 ‘Craziest’ Mental Disorders

Serpo
2nd May 2011, 02:35 AM
Throughout history, mental disorders have been regarded with fear, bias, and ignorance. Though medicine has drastically improved for the mentally ill in the last century, mainstream society still has a relatively uninformed and biased view against individuals with mental disorders. This is particularly harmful because every year up to ¼ of Americans fit the criteria for being mentally ill.

Media has done its best to show us the crazy sides of the mentally ill, but how crazy is crazy? If ¼ of the population is “crazy”, how dangerous is society? This list counts down the most life-interfering disorders, and explores how the individuals fit into our life.

Note: There are many other disorders, some similar to the disorders mentioned. All information is received from the American Psychiatric Association’s “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision”.

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-craziest-mental-disorders.php

solid
2nd May 2011, 05:42 AM
The winning question is which disorder does Book have? :)

My guess goes to #3, Antisocial Personality Disorder.

No offense Book, I just figured since you seem to be on the hot seat around here I'd sneak a jab in as well. ;D

gunDriller
2nd May 2011, 06:49 AM
the #1 most Delusional is what many Americans have - the "my government is honest, I believe the Official Conspiracy Theory, the last time the US government did anything bad was Watergate" version.

BrewTech
2nd May 2011, 07:13 AM
My latest favorite is Orthorexia...

From Wikipedia:

Bratman claims Orthorexic sufferers have specific preferences about the foods they are eating and avoiding. Products that are preserved with additives can be considered dangerous. Industrial products can be seen as artificial, whereas biological fruits and vegetables can be seen as healthy.[6] Bratman asserts that "emaciation is common among followers of certain health food diets, such as rawfoodism, and this can at times reach the extremes seen in anorexia nervosa." In addition, he claims that "anorexic orthorexia" can be as dangerous as anorexia. However, he states, "the underlying motivation is quite different. While an anorexic wants to lose weight, an orthorexic does not desire to become thin[6] but wants to feel pure, healthy and natural.

Yes, friends... if this makes sense to you

Industrial products can be seen as artificial, whereas biological fruits and vegetables can be seen as healthy.

you have a disorder.

::)

Book
2nd May 2011, 07:19 AM
I'd sneak a jab in as well. ;D

How is your treatment for Penis Envy going and why do you insist on calling yourself "solid"?

:D

sirgonzo420
2nd May 2011, 07:22 AM

How is your treatment for Penis Envy going and why do you insist on calling yourself "solid"?

Why do you call yourself book?

I have wondered for years.

AndreaGail
2nd May 2011, 08:17 AM

heres my theory, screenshot of 2003 gimm frontpage
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l321/Gail_Andrea/book.png

solid
2nd May 2011, 12:45 PM

Aha! This comment is a classic example of disorder #11, Book Personality Disorder (BPD). A person with this disorder seeks self-identity through insulting anonymous folks on an internet forum. Signs include posting sardonic pictures, trolling for attention, derailing threads, and general rudeness all around.

Unfortunately, therapy does not help folks with Book Personality Disorder. The only way to cope is through heavy medication and to just turn off the computer/internet.

Book, you need a hug. |--0--|

Book
2nd May 2011, 12:53 PM
A person with this disorder seeks self-identity through insulting anonymous folks on an internet forum.

:oo-->

The winning question is which disorder does Book have?

My guess goes to #3, Antisocial Personality Disorder.

No offense Book, I just figured since you seem to be on the hot seat around here I'd sneak a jab in as well.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
2nd May 2011, 01:03 PM
One of the most interesting books I have ever read was Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It dives deeply into mental illness during worldwar II, and what illness truly is. One of the points is self-diagnosis and self-awareness.

Are you sane enough to wonder if you are insane? This is something I've worried about before - what if I'm crazy and my perceptions are all wrong? According to Catch-22, someone sane enough to question their sanity is sane.

The opposite is true as well. Do you believe 100% that you are sane? Well, so do most insane people.

sirgonzo420
2nd May 2011, 01:04 PM
One of the most interesting books I have ever read was Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It dives deeply into mental illness during worldwar II, and what illness truly is. One of the points is self-diagnosis and self-awareness.

Are you sane enough to wonder if you are insane? This is something I've worried about before - what if I'm crazy and my perceptions are all wrong? According to Catch-22, someone sane enough to question their sanity is sane.

The opposite is true as well. Do you believe 100% that you are sane? Well, so do most insane people.

What does it mean to be insane in an insane world?

Large Sarge
2nd May 2011, 01:08 PM
most of those "disorders" are deficiencies (vitamin), and/or allergies

Abram Hoffer Cured about half of the list above (from a quick glance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgUvAVQbxDY&playnext=1&list=PL3F89CD5C72BB672B

SilverMagnet
2nd May 2011, 01:15 PM
Book, you need a hug. |--0--|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNyO2eti2c&feature=player_embedded

Large Sarge
2nd May 2011, 01:19 PM

I will point in the general direction, and hopefully not offend my friend Book

he was Khalil Gibran for awhile also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalil_Gibran

Mr. Gibran authored a number of books

there might be a connection there
::) ::) ::)

zap
2nd May 2011, 04:44 PM
EVERYBODY'S NORMAL TIL YOU GET TO KNOW THEM. HA !! ( i read a book one time with that title I think)
Then their all crazy !! HA !

I'm crazy and I like it, I know I'm crazy, sooo sometimes I like to act even crazier, that way people stay away from me.

(ooooh stay away from "crazy old herb lady", she's crazy" , I've seen her out there diggin under 2 feet of snow for sumthin' in 'dat garden of hers"

Hahahahaha Love it love love it.

LOL Don't claim to have all the crazy , I got a touch of it too !!! ;D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CuuuRRRRaaaaZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYY WHOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Serpo
2nd May 2011, 04:49 PM

What does it mean to be insane in an insane world?

May mean you are sane ,then again maybe not

nunaem
2nd May 2011, 05:08 PM
EVERYBODY'S NORMAL TIL YOU GET TO KNOW THEM. HA !! ( i read a book one time with that title I think)
Then their all crazy !! HA !

I'm crazy and I like it, I know I'm crazy, sooo sometimes I like to act even crazier, that way people stay away from me.

(ooooh stay away from "crazy old herb lady", she's crazy" , I've seen her out there diggin under 2 feet of snow for sumthin' in 'dat garden of hers"

Hahahahaha Love it love love it.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CuuuRRRRaaaaZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYY WHOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Crazy woman... There's a redundant term if I ever saw one.

gunDriller
2nd May 2011, 06:34 PM
as long as i send in my tax returns on time, they let me run around without a straitjacket ;D

TheNocturnalEgyptian
2nd May 2011, 08:41 PM
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" -J Krishnamurti