PDA

View Full Version : strange place to find a knife...

freespirit
2nd May 2011, 03:18 PM
i was in a NAPA auto parts store the other day, when i saw this little guy, nice milling on the body, great edge, zero play in the hinge, and easy operation...ALL FOR $18 tax in!!

it's the one on the bottom, the top one is the buck knife i've had since i was a kid, the middle one a fixed blade i got at canadian tire for $29.95.

they had a few different types, all lock blades, some tanto tips, some camo finish, none over $25.

StreetsOfGold
2nd May 2011, 05:21 PM
That knife on the bottom was probably a good deal cuz it has a bunch of holes in the handle :P

freespirit
2nd May 2011, 07:53 PM
if you look at the blade on the knife at the top you can see i've had it for a long, long time...i've sharpened it so many times over the years that the blade is noticeably narrower than it used to be...lol

ximmy
2nd May 2011, 07:58 PM
if you look at the blade on the knife at the top you can see i've had it for a long, long time...i've sharpened it so many times over the years that the blade is noticeably narrower than it used to be...lol

Did it used to look like the one in the middle?

freespirit
2nd May 2011, 08:11 PM

Ximmy--

if you look at the base of the blade (near the hinge) you can see how the edge curves up from it's start point about 1/8th of an inch, then continues towards the point...when it was new, it was pretty much straight from the hinge point forward...

ximmy
2nd May 2011, 08:18 PM

Ximmy--

if you look at the base of the blade (near the hinge) you can see how the edge curves up from it's start point about 1/8th of an inch, then continues towards the point...when it was new, it was pretty much straight from the hinge point forward...

like this?... oops i think i drew the tip too high...

Book
2nd May 2011, 08:24 PM
http://www.ddknives.com/shop/d/ddknives/img-lib/spd_20090903200706_b.JPG

http://www.ianharford.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Buck-Folding-Hunter-Knife-380x289.jpg

Keep it simple kids. Photo of Buck 110 new.

:D

freespirit
2nd May 2011, 08:29 PM
well, there ya go, ximmy...book to the rescue...lol

ximmy
2nd May 2011, 08:34 PM

I see... the post made it seem really big/thick... "if you look at the blade on the knife at the top you can see i've had it for a long, long time...i've sharpened it so many times over the years that the blade is noticeably narrower than it used to be...lol"

I've seen some really cool knives at Big-5 ... good prices too. I have a couple of them, my brother gave me, good tight tolerances, good action.

freespirit
2nd May 2011, 08:36 PM

I see... the post made it seem really big/thick... "if you look at the blade on the knife at the top you can see i've had it for a long, long time...i've sharpened it so many times over the years that the blade is noticeably narrower than it used to be...lol"

I've seen some really cool knives at Big-5 ... good prices too. I have a couple of them, my brother gave me, good tight tolerances, good action.

in the picture, you can see the shadow of the blade...that's about how thick the blade originally was...

TheNocturnalEgyptian
6th May 2011, 08:00 PM
That Buck knife at the top was my first "serious" blade, and I still treasure it.

Cobalt
6th May 2011, 08:30 PM
I have an old Buck folding like that, I bought it many many years ago

Also have the S&W Extreme Op's, had 3 of them for a while and gave 2 away as stocking stuffers too friends.

Bought all 3 from some goofy ebay seller that listed them on one day auctions with a starting bid of $.99 and free ship
She listed them in something like the kitchen category and just had the titles as pocket knife, I was the only bidder and got all 3 shipped to my house for less then $3 ;D

freespirit
6th May 2011, 08:32 PM
That Buck knife at the top was my first "serious" blade, and I still treasure it.

me too! i was just a teenager when i got that knife, and it's lived in my pocket or my tackle box pretty much ever since! lol

the fixed blade in the middle is actually a really decent knife for the money as well. it has an amazingly sharp edge on it, you could shave with it (if the mood struck, lol)

i do like the new addition, though...been keeping it in my pocket since i bought it, and have used it numerous times already. cuts through zip ties and green plastic tie straps with very little pressure...
the edge is not really consistent, however, and i will be tuning it before too long i imagine...

solid
7th May 2011, 03:30 PM
Also have the S&W Extreme Op's, had 3 of them for a while and gave 2 away as stocking stuffers too friends.

This is the knife I carry at work. For the price, it's a tough knife..so far has lasted me 6 months. It's now seeing the wear, minor rust, the serrations getting dull. It would cut a rope like butter. I don't like the angled blade though..would be better if it was straight.

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-CKHBS-Serrated-Hawkbill/dp/B000EX7GVE

Horn
7th May 2011, 03:58 PM
Any useful knife should carry a toothpick.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IVKlDqmxsGM/Smd3vZRV3_I/AAAAAAAAAPM/FdPROYxjBiY/s400/DSCF0088.JPG

freespirit
7th May 2011, 05:49 PM
if you've got steady hands, any knife is a toothpick! lol
;D

freespirit
7th May 2011, 09:42 PM

This is the knife I carry at work. For the price, it's a tough knife..so far has lasted me 6 months. It's now seeing the wear, minor rust, the serrations getting dull. It would cut a rope like butter. I don't like the angled blade though..would be better if it was straight.

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-CKHBS-Serrated-Hawkbill/dp/B000EX7GVE

damn, solid! that's hot! lol

very raptor-esque! and a good price too. Although for myself, i prefer a more traditional styled blade.

solid
8th May 2011, 09:57 AM

very raptor-esque! and a good price too. Although for myself, i prefer a more traditional styled blade.

Haha...it does feel like you have some raptor claw in your hand, rather than a knife. When you pull this knife out, it scares folks around you.

However, it is very sturdy and a workhorse. I've come to dislike the serrated edge though, it has gotten dull from use. It still works though when needed.

I've grown to prefer the more traditional style as well. When I read Gaillo's review of the phat bob, that to me looks like the perfect work knife. I can't wait to get it. We discuss the merits of different style knives all the time at work, everyone has a different opinion.

BTW, nice find in the first post!

freespirit
8th May 2011, 03:25 PM

Haha...it does feel like you have some raptor claw in your hand, rather than a knife. When you pull this knife out, it scares folks around you.

However, it is very sturdy and a workhorse. I've come to dislike the serrated edge though, it has gotten dull from use. It still works though when needed.

I've grown to prefer the more traditional style as well. When I read Gaillo's review of the phat bob, that to me looks like the perfect work knife. I can't wait to get it. We discuss the merits of different style knives all the time at work, everyone has a different opinion.

BTW, nice find in the first post!

thanks!

i was gonna ask about the sharpness of your blade, i suppose you could take it down past the serrations and put a regular edge on it, no? personally, i have never been fond of serrated knives, they seems to tear more than they slice...all depends on what you use it for, i guess.

solid
9th May 2011, 06:18 AM
i was gonna ask about the sharpness of your blade, i suppose you could take it down past the serrations and put a regular edge on it, no? personally, i have never been fond of serrated knives, they seems to tear more than they slice...all depends on what you use it for, i guess.

The serrated blades do seem to tear more than slice. When I originally bought that knife, it was very sharp, now it's quite dull. That's the problem with serrated blades, is how to sharpen them. A straight blade is easier to maintain.

We cut and splice line a lot at work, mostly 3 strand and 8 strand. Often the big 3" diameter lines. The serrated blade when sharp was great for that, now it works more like a hacksaw, but still works. Actually a hacksaw works better now. :)

SHTF2010
9th May 2011, 06:53 AM
the Buck fixed blade in the middle, is that the 471 ?

the Buck 471 is a discontinued line, but i like them
i have 5 now, all at 50-55 % off from Canadian Tire

freespirit
9th May 2011, 12:25 PM
the Buck fixed blade in the middle, is that the 471 ?

the Buck 471 is a discontinued line, but i like them
i have 5 now, all at 50-55 % off from Canadian Tire

the fixed blade is actually a model 479. i don't know if it is discontinued or not, but i would buy another one in a heart beat.