PDA

View Full Version : Quality vs Quantity 9mm Handguns

YukonCornelius
2nd May 2011, 09:36 PM
I have a feeling of what I'll hear but was wondering if there were differing opinions.

So, which would you go for?

Three hi point c9's or one glock 17

Book
2nd May 2011, 09:42 PM
Glock.

:)

YukonCornelius
2nd May 2011, 09:50 PM
Glock.

In all situations?

Say SHTF, in a family of 7 would the three prove more valuable?

Edit: three c9 = $450 one glock = $500

Book
2nd May 2011, 09:55 PM
family of 7

A guy can afford FIVE kids but only $450 for their protection?

Glass
2nd May 2011, 10:01 PM
Hi Point thread
http://www.handgunforum.net/general-semi-auto/25629-hi-point-firearms.html

Are you looking to arm more than one person or are you looking to have a few pistols stashed around your digs for go to purposes?

C9's sound like they are fairly hefty guns even though they are polymer. Can you go somewhere and get your hands one of each? See how they heft in your hands?

YukonCornelius
2nd May 2011, 10:14 PM
family of 7

It was theoretical, I'm 23 with no kids, but good point. Its just hard to pass up having three rather than one.

P.s. Have shot a glock but never a hi point. Some reviews on YouTube are fond of it, however it obviously has no credentials when compared to the flock brand.

YukonCornelius
2nd May 2011, 10:25 PM
Hi Point thread
http://www.handgunforum.net/general-semi-auto/25629-hi-point-firearms.html

Are you looking to arm more than one person or are you looking to have a few pistols stashed around your digs for go to purposes?

C9's sound like they are fairly hefty guns even though they are polymer. Can you go somewhere and get your hands one of each? See how they heft in your hands?

Thanks for the link. I was considering the three because there'd be plenty of spare parts and more fun at the range for rec shooting with family and friends.

Never shot a hi point as I just mentioned above to Book.

Book
2nd May 2011, 10:29 PM
family of 7

It was theoretical, I'm 23 with no kids, but good point. Its just hard to pass up having three rather than one.

P.s. Have shot a glock but never a hi point. Some reviews on YouTube are fond of it, however it obviously has no credentials when compared to the flock brand.

Get a Glock.

It took me awhile but I (finally) realized that many product "reviews" on the internet are actually written by corporate shills. I first noticed this when shopping for a knife a few years back. They troll knife and gun forums (and others) and pretend to be happy customers who bought the latest model of some new product line. Their sales/marketing people do this for a living.

Common sense should question the $150 vs. $500 gun quality...

Glass
2nd May 2011, 10:51 PM
I'd say if it's not time critical and you don't have to buy 3 at once to get the deal grab one and have a muck about with it and see what you think. Of course your down 1/3 the cost of the glock if you decide glocks the better way. Could always trade it in, in that case I 'spose

sunnyandseventy
3rd May 2011, 04:59 AM
This shouldn't even be up for debate. Especially if you're single. Get a Beretta 92. ;)
Seriously, I'd go with one Glock over three questionable guns.

Dogman
3rd May 2011, 05:16 AM
Sig Sauer P220 , and do not look back.

SLV^GLD
3rd May 2011, 05:20 AM
I've shot both and I don't particularly care for Glocks and I would still recommend the one Glock over the 3 Hi-Points. Hi-Points are the shittiest piece of garbage ever to be presented as a handgun I have ever experienced. If the goal is to rely on this weapon to protect your life then you may be better throwing it at the attacker when clutch time arrives. At least then you are sure to get one reliable hit. The HiPoint is what I want the bad guy to have in HIS hand, not mine. My experience encompasses 3x 9mm, 2x .380acp and 1x .45acp Hi-Points so it wasn't just a fluke gun or two.

Personally, I'd do as sunnyandseventy suggests and get something besides a Glock but better than a Hi-Point if price is the primary consideration. There are plenty of options. Glocks are hard to beat for reliability and availability for the price, though.

big country
3rd May 2011, 05:53 AM
Also, if you EVER plan on carrying this gun in a holster day-to-day you will NOT want the hi-point. I can't imagine carrying a hi-point. If it was me, I'd reconsider the G17 as well (I have one) and get the G19 instead. You can conceal/carry the G19 easier then the G17. You lose a couple of rounds in the magazine, but you can carry extra mags too (and should).

Book
3rd May 2011, 06:52 AM
If it was me, I'd reconsider the G17 as well (I have one) and get the G19 instead.

I agree.

madfranks
3rd May 2011, 07:49 AM
If it was me, I'd reconsider the G17 as well (I have one) and get the G19 instead.

I agree.

Unless you have big hands (like me) then the G17 fits your hand much better. I have a compact (G38) and a full size Glock (G17), and the full size fits much better.

JJ.G0ldD0t
3rd May 2011, 08:01 AM
Also, if you EVER plan on carrying this gun in a holster day-to-day you will NOT want the hi-point. I can't imagine carrying a hi-point. If it was me, I'd reconsider the G17 as well (I have one) and get the G19 instead. You can conceal/carry the G19 easier then the G17. You lose a couple of rounds in the magazine, but you can carry extra mags too (and should).

this ....
and
this

I agree.

Unless you have big hands (like me) then the G17 fits your hand much better. I have a compact (G38) and a full size Glock (G17), and the full size fits much better.

Personally I have a G17 and I shoot no other pistol better than that one. But the concealment argumet for the G19 weighs heavily.

I carry a G30 for concealment and although it has a pretty beefy grip- it can be managed well if you have small hands. I do and I shoot it pretty good as well. Its just that I can drive tacks with the G17.

Forget the Hi-points. you get what you pay for.

Before I tried Glocks, I was really expecting to not like them- thought it was all hype.

Now I know better. These are quality, reasonably priced (because they are simple designs) and extremly accurate sidearms.

mightymanx
3rd May 2011, 08:07 AM
2 CZ 82's $200 x 2 (The CZ 82 is probably the best kept secret in the budget gun world)

or 1 Glock 19 $500

I own all of the above and Carry the CZ 82 now it hides better and 13 rounds is nothing to sneeze at.

madfranks
3rd May 2011, 10:56 AM
2 CZ 82's $200 x 2 (The CZ 82 is probably the best kept secret in the budget gun world)

or 1 Glock 19 $500

I own all of the above and Carry the CZ 82 now it hides better and 13 rounds is nothing to sneeze at.

Isn't there an availability issue with the 7.62x25 round? I don't see it very often and I'm not sure my local shops even carry that caliber.

JJ.G0ldD0t
3rd May 2011, 11:16 AM
It Shoots the 9 x18 Makarov

7.62 x 25 is the Tokerev I think

madfranks
3rd May 2011, 12:24 PM

Whoops! You're right, thanks for the correction. My original point still stands though, isn't it harder to find 9X18 ammo?

SLV^GLD
3rd May 2011, 02:07 PM
isn't it harder to find 9X18 ammo?
Not really. I find it at most major outlets like Gander Mountain and at practically all private gun shops. It is also called the 9X18 Makarov. I would dare to say that 95% of the time you will see it sitting right next to the 9X19 parabellum. But my experience is certainly subjective.

Heimdhal
3rd May 2011, 02:27 PM
Glock. G19 more specificaly, if you ever plan on carrying it. G17 you're strictly SHTF, home defense and range use.

Theres nothing wrong with a high points as a plinker or maybe a back up, but in this case, I'd rather rely on my 1 glock than my three hi points that may or may not want to work at the same time I want them to.

Glock mags are incredibly easy to find, and very cheap so theres that benefit too.

mightymanx
3rd May 2011, 06:17 PM

Yep ^^^^^^^

You can also get a CZ 83 which is the same gun in 380 which has been much harder to find and Waaaaay more expensive than 9x18 for the last few years.

9x18 used to be a rare round but now it is very inexpensive and common to find my local shop has it for 9.99 for a box of 50.

Black Blade
5th May 2011, 02:58 PM
I like my Glocks but a few CZ-82s aren't bad to have around:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/c3516d16a024123f9cc16f22622b72671ff0da94.pjpg

Just toss em into a bag or two:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/0d1265619ca292ef1653cd99dda57db2315e8c8b.pjpg

Horn
5th May 2011, 03:32 PM
Dude, you need to design a 9mm auto clip loading machine, and train yourself a guard Octopus..

Is that a rug beneath those? Looks like Hotel carpet.

http://calitreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/shining.jpg