PDA

View Full Version : Fast Composting

vacuum
7th May 2011, 06:19 PM
In my search for the best composting method, I came across this. I think it looks like a good method. I plan on trying it out. I've also built some low cost raised beds and a low cost greenhouse, and hopefully will eventually make posts on those. I'm not rushing it though because I want to see how they hold up.

http://www.hillgardens.com/21compost.htm

Fast, Biologically Active, Highly-Efficient, No-Turn Composting. . .

http://www.hillgardens.com/images/21comp1.jpghttp://www.hillgardens.com/images/21comp2.jpg

In 21 Days — Really!

Most of the old-fashioned composting methods are actually labor intensive and often a little too slow for my taste and purposes. The pile must be turned to re-introduce air into colonies of oxygen-starved bacteria, fungi and other organisms. There is an easier way which incorporates very nearly all basic composting principles but which vastly improves two crucial factors: aeration and time.

Here's my system for producing finished "black gold"—fully decomposed, rich, dark, nutrient-saturated, almost totally weed- and pathogen-free organic matter ready to be worked into garden soil—in 21 to 28 days, with no turning — REALLY!

The Enclosure. A diversity of materials may be used for the enclosure—concrete blocks, timbers, wire mesh or boards, for example—but for economy's sake, I have constructed my "no-turn, self-aerating, 21-day" compost bin from salvaged pallets commonly used by truckers in the transport of equipment or supplies. Other sources of these used—oftentimes perfectly usable—pallets are large hardware stores, plumbing and heating suppliers, lumber yards...and don't overlook your local landfill or waste transfer station. A friend or neighbor who works at large discount stores or on construction sites may be of some help, too. As interest in using recycled or salvageable pallets increases, it is likely that you may have to pay for them. $5 would not be an unreasonable amount for sound, fully-intact pallets. Most medium-to-full-size automobiles are wide enough in the trunk to accommodate one or two pallets.

http://www.hillgardens.com/images/21comp4.jpg

It'll take 10 pieces of perforated pipe. Recall that biological composting does not rely on bright light and sunshine, so you can secrete your bin in a dark corner of the yard, behind shrubbery or "back in the woods" where it won't be seen. Place the least attractive pallet on level ground where you want your compost pile to reside. This base or "foundation" allows air circulation (remember that free air movement is key to the composting process) Showing saplings to block wide gaps in bottom pallet.and prevents tree roots from creeping in and feasting on your compost. You might consider nailing additional narrow strips on this "foundation" pallet between each top-surface board, leaving just enough space for air to pass without difficulty, while preventing your shredded garden wastes from falling through (1/2-inch gaps work for me). You could also use saplings instead of sawn strips, as in the picture at the right.

http://www.hillgardens.com/images/21comp5.jpg

Next, stand the remaining four pallets on edge with the closely-spaced boards facing inward and vertical (perpendicular to the ground) to form a box just outside of the foundation pallet. Lash them together using wire or synthetic cord (so it won't decay in a few weeks). I've used plastic clothesline cord with lasting results. Later, you'll want to untie the pallet which constitutes the "front" in order to access finished compost—so select your knots carefully.

Allowing For Maximum Air Circulation. Important to the function and success in this new system are appropriate length sections of salvaged 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" black plastic water or PVC drain pipe. Most discount salvage stores (here in Maine we call them "Mardens") sell such pipe for a fraction of what the same material would cost at a builder's supply.

You'll need ten or twelve lengths about 4-1/2 feet long. Use a half-inch "spade" drill bit and an electric drill to create random perforations about every four or five inches all around the pipe. Precise spacing is not important. All right - ready?

Let's assume you've gathered all your shredded "greens" and "browns" and are ready for some serious composting action. I like to mix these two main ingredients together before tossing them into the pile. Place a layer of mixed material 4" to 6" deep on the foundation pallet of your new, high-efficiency, low-cost, no-turn composting bin. Make certain that the material's moisture level is adequate (recall that it should feel like a wrung-out kitchen sponge) and do not press the layer down. Place two of your perforated aeration pipes on top of this layer so the cut ends protrude through the side pallets. Space a pipe about 16" in from each side so, when you look down at the layer's surface, it looks as if it's been divided into thirds. Recall that I suggested making the boards in your pallet walls stand vertical. Perforated aeration pipes can now slide down freely as the pile settles during the accelerated composting process. 2 pipes per layer, alternating direction on each layer. Had those boards been placed horizontal, your pipes would have hung up, bent—and possibly "kinked"—in a short time. You can guess what that'll do to the flow of air into the pile.

http://www.hillgardens.com/images/21comp6.gifThe diagram on the left illustrates the approximate arrangement of the aeration pipes. . .sort of like the game of “Tic-Tac-Toe” you played as a kid.
Now it's time for a second six-inch layer of shredded material followed by a second set of perforated pipe at right angles to the ones in layer #1, below. Continue, layer by layer, adding another set of pipes to each layer as you go, until you've reached the top (and the end of your supply of pipes). Remember to alternate the direction of each layer of perforated pipes. It is not necessary to install aeration pipes above the top layer. But it is recommended that you lay on an additional 4" or 5" layer of some coarse, insulating organic material like pine needles or whole leaves.All the components, assembled and ready for the mix. This insulating layer allows generated heat to penetrate all the way to the top of your mixed material, thereby destroying most—if not all—weed seeds, undesirable insects and plant pathogens.

http://www.hillgardens.com/images/21comp7.jpgThis photo shows all components of the basic structure assembled and ready to receive the first layer of compost. The front pallet has been removed for a better view.

What happens next is pure simplicity and efficiency! Mass temperature immediately begins to rise until, between 48 and 96 hours later, it has topped out at between 140° and 160° (F). Things not to put into a compost pile.As bacterial decomposition consumes oxygen in the process, air passes through the aeration pipes to replenish supplies. As material quickly decomposes, the pile begins settling. In about seven to ten days, temperatures will have begun to fall until, by the end of about 3 weeks, it should have reached ambient outside air temperature and the pile's mass will have shrunk to a little over half its original size.

There is one small problem, however, which must be dealt with during the high-heat stage.

Because fresh, cool outside air is flowing through the perforated pipes—and therefore into the pile—a small area of the mix near each perforation will remain cool enough to prevent the destruction of seeds and pathogens by heat. To overcome this small handicap, it is recommended that, for one 24-hour day (only) about 3 days into the high heat stage, the open ends of each aeration pipe be plugged, thereby allowing high heat to thoroughly penetrate throughout the mix. At the end of this 24-hour period, remove the plugs, and the process continues essentially unaffected by the missing days' worth of air. Wadded-up newspaper makes a good temporary plug.

http://www.hillgardens.com/images/21comp8.gif

It's done! Actually, I like to allow the finished product to just sit there for another week or two to stabilize. At this rate, given a large enough supply of greens and browns, you should be able to produce nearly a square yard of finished compost every five weeks. You guess what that'll do to the health of your garden—and your success rate!

After 3 weeks of no turning:
In the photo on the right, the front pallet has been untied and removed, and the sides have been swung out. Note the aeration pipes sticking out of the sides and front. Also note that the pile of finished "black gold" has shrunk to a little over half its original height. Click the picture for an enlarged view.
http://www.hillgardens.com/images/21-comp-done.jpg

vacuum
7th May 2011, 06:23 PM
Here is some info on composting basics:
http://www.hillgardens.com/composting.htm

Some Composting Basics
by Fred Davis, MG, MC, Hill Gardens of Maine (To view other articles, click: Archives)

In this day of the recycling craze, what better way to do your share on an individual and personal basis, than to convert your own household and garden wastes into rich, dark, nutrient-filled humus?

If you are proud of your garden...if you delight in growing bountiful crops and beautiful flowers...and have a little extra space in one corner of your garden, then composting is for you! It means richer soil and that means better vegetables and flowers. And THAT means healthier and happier families! So let's take a closer look at the construction and maintenance of the home compost pile.

The Cooperative Extension Service's Manual For Master Gardeners says: "Correct composting is an art which can result in a valuable nutrient and humus source for any garden. The basis of the process is the microbial decomposition of mixed raw organic materials to humus, a dark, fluffy product resembling rich soil, which is then spread and incorporated in the garden soil."

The first thing to consider, after a firm commitment to compost has been made, is where to put the pile. Since compost-in-the-making may have a slight (though not disagreeable) odor, you probably wouldn't want it up-wind of your bedroom window. Also, since there might be some incredibly rich liquid that may leach out of the pile, it would be wise to construct the pile under a fruit tree that would benefit. Or you could make some provision to recover the run-off and use it as a liquid fertilizer. Don't build your pile too far away from the garden unless you think you need the extra exercise of hauling it to where it'll be used.

TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION

The very simplest and most inexpensive would be four sturdy pallets stood on edge and lashed together. That would give you a "bin" about four feet square and four feet tall. When the stuff is ready to spread, untie the lashings, remove the pallets and you're in business.

Concrete blocks are considerably more permanent, but you may need to find a helper with a strong and willing back. Remember to leave some gaps between blocks for aeration. Planks work very well, as do cedar poles stacked a little like a small log cabin. Again, remember to leave gaps for air to pass through.

Four posts and some chicken wire is quick and inexpensive, but not as sturdy. Our large (conventional 3 to 4 month process) compost pile is made from 8-foot 4x4s stacked very much like the walls of a log cabin. I think it unwise, pending more detailed research, to use wood which has been treated with creosote or other types of wood preservative. Those harsh chemicals retard decomposition and could very well leach into your compost pile...where decomposition doesn't want to be retarded!

Things not to put into a compost pile. The Maine towns of China and Vassalboro are now providing qualified homeowners with low-cost wooden composting bins, part of a new system of community composting.

Lastly, a number of companies manufacture and market composting machines, many made from recycled plastic. Most are large drums with a door and a geared crank on one end that rotates the unit, mixing the contents. They say you can have finished compost in about three weeks. Costs in the mid '90s varied between $350 and $600. Today (November, 2007), you can count on spending a lot more. I, personally, don't think they even come close to being worth it. More recently, a few very small plastic drums with a little door for stuffing in raw organic material have shown up on the market. They need to be agitated frequently and, in my experience don't have the mass size for truly efficient, hot, biologically-active composting. A good way to dispose of a little kitchen garbage but, again, not worth the inflated price for a clever bit of recycled plastic.

STARTING OUT

Start your compost pile with a three- or four-inch layer of twigs, chopped-up corn stalks, or some fairly coarse material, spread out evenly. The coarse stuff on the bottom helps aeration and drainage. Now a 3-inch layer of just about anything that will decay: Kitchen wastes, grass clippings, crushed eggshells, leaves, weeds, a little shredded paper or cardboard (the jury is still out on colored printing inks used in slick magazines so, for the time being, avoid them) and garden wastes like overripe vegetables. Don't use fresh bones or meat wastes—the skunks and raccoons will tear the pile apart.

Now add a couple inches of something high in nitrogen like manure, fresh and hot if available. Fresh lawn clippings work ok but will mat down and smother if you use too thick a layer. If you can't get fresh manure, then add about 1/2 cup of some natural form of nitrogen fertilizer like bloodmeal to each 6-inch layer (assuming a 4x4x4 bin).

Most composts tend to be moderately acidic, so about a double handful of ground limestone sprinkled on each 6-inch layer will "sweeten" the results and help eliminate odors. It is not necessary to purchase commercial compost "starter". A sprinkling of soil or old compost (about a shovel full) is all the starter you need for each layer. Now wet that layer down until a little water seeps from the bottom, and repeat all the above steps until your household and garden refuse is used up.

http://www.hillgardens.com/images/21comp3.gif

When you finish for the day, leave a slight depression in the center on top so rain will soak in—not run off the sides. Keep the pile moist but not saturated or soggy. In a few days the temperature should reach about 150 degrees (F), enough heat to kill most weed seeds and harmful insects. If it doesn't get that hot, you may need more nitrogen, better aeration or more moisture.

After about a month, turn the whole pile upside-down with a spading fork. Mix it all up, wet it down again, and wait about five weeks. Mix again. In another month or so of warm weather your "black gold" should be ready to spread and incorporate into your soil.

When finished, your compost will be a dark, rich, chocolaty brown and crumbly. Sift out the large chunks with a 1/2-inch screen, and add the "waste" into your next compost pile...and enjoy a lovelier, healthier garden!

vacuum
7th May 2011, 06:27 PM
Here is the 3-bin method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phj9LmqnwDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYUAXfVQFfM

Practical method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcQFrssgMgM

gunDriller
8th May 2011, 04:01 PM
After 3 weeks of no turning:
In the photo on the right, the front pallet has been untied and removed, and the sides have been swung out. Note the aeration pipes sticking out of the sides and front. Also note that the pile of finished "black gold" has shrunk to a little over half its original height. Click the picture for an enlarged view.

i like that process, it seems like the addition of the pipes helps the pile to reach a higher temperature.

a 10 week hot compost process at a place like Sonoma Compost results in a little more loss of volume. when we did their process in a 4 week class, our pile went from 12 cubic yards to 4 cubic yards in 3 weeks. the instructor, who is the chief soil scientist at Sonoma Compost, said it would end up being 2 cubic yards.

Here is the 3-bin method:

i belonged to a community garden that attempted the 3 bin method. they never got it off the ground because the "garden coordinator" and her designated garden expert were expert at de-motivating volunteers by treating their time as value-less.

so we actually never tried it.

Sonoma Compost does turn their pile 3 times, but that's to get an OMRI certification. i.e., most of the weed seeds will have been killed by the heat, if it's been turned 3 times.

personally, i aim for
* least labor intensive
* primo, out of this world dirt, as a result.

i prefer a combination of hot-composting but not turning the pile. then letting worms introduce themselves, because if it's winter and you have a pile of rotting yard waste on the ground sitting at about 85 degrees, to them that is Heaven. they will move in and replicate and you will end up with a large pile of worm castings & premium dirt. it takes a little longer - like all winter - but it works, and all the labor is up-front, collecting the ingredients and building the pile.

vacuum
8th May 2011, 06:04 PM
i like that process, it seems like the addition of the pipes helps the pile to reach a higher temperature.

From my understanding the pipes provide the much needed oxygen to the center of the pile, which allows the no-turn method to work. They actually end up cooling the pile, thats why they recommend plugging the pipe ends for 3 days to allow the heat to kill everything around the pipes, then unplugging to allow the process to continue.

Grog
8th May 2011, 06:46 PM
i prefer a combination of hot-composting but not turning the pile. then letting worms introduce themselves, because if it's winter and you have a pile of rotting yard waste on the ground sitting at about 85 degrees, to them that is Heaven.

Worms rock. Our compost pile is more open and free form. I brew beer and all of my spent grains go into the compost. This year I've introduced over 300# of spent grains. Our compost pile is super happy right now. Very hot and full of worms. The worms also spread over to the garden too. I love worms.

I just have to remember to give it some water and urinate in it occasionally. It can dry out here.

gunDriller
9th May 2011, 06:31 AM
i prefer a combination of hot-composting but not turning the pile. then letting worms introduce themselves, because if it's winter and you have a pile of rotting yard waste on the ground sitting at about 85 degrees, to them that is Heaven.

Worms rock. Our compost pile is more open and free form. I brew beer and all of my spent grains go into the compost. This year I've introduced over 300# of spent grains. Our compost pile is super happy right now. Very hot and full of worms. The worms also spread over to the garden too. I love worms.

I just have to remember to give it some water and urinate in it occasionally. It can dry out here.

agreed. urinating on the compost pile is important ! :o

... or just keeping it wet enough. e.g. millipedes, the big ones, they help chew up the pile too. but they need moisture just like earthworms.

the soil scientist, name's Will, who taught the composting class told us a story about a "perfect storm" compost predicament that he was called in to consult on.

an area about 20 feet cubed got filled in with a natural mix of carbon and nitrogen. small particle size, good air access, just the way he would build it on his lot.

then it rained.

the pile went up to 240 degrees F and started smoking. then they called him in. then the fire department came and sprayed more water on it. he had to tell them, "NO ! water will keep the reaction going !"

then one of the firemen crawled up on top of the pile. again, Will had to communicate forcefully - "get the hell off there ! you'll get burned if you fall in !"

all they did to stop the reaction was use rakes & earth movers to spread the pile out over about an acre. as soon as the pile was down to about 2 feet thick, it cooled off, problem solved.

it actually started smoking before they pulled it apart. of course, it was steaming too, so they knew it was smoking by the smell.

i sure would like to know what combination of ingredients were in that pile that caused it to get so hot.

at the community garden i used to belong to, the "garden coordinator" made a deal with one of her Jewish friends, that he could dump the waste from his tree-removal service on the Lutheran church land, to save him the dump fees.

though i wasn't a fan of the takeover by Talmud Worshippers of a Lutheran church, i did like the end result of that sweetheart deal. from a learning-compost point of view, it was great. at any given time, there would be 50 piles of ground up trees, randomly mixed, just sitting there. then it would rain and 5 or 10 of them would "go nuclear" - get hot enough to start steaming.

so i would take material from the hottest pile for my own compost pile. sometimes it seemed like the tree piles with ground up evergreens got the hottest.

vacuum
9th May 2011, 09:12 AM
So gunDriller, would you say a wood chipper/shredder would be the single best thing to get to start making compost?