PDA

View Full Version : Doctor prescribes Exercise for children

Glass
13th May 2011, 04:47 PM
Go out and play: doctor's order
Nature prescriptions" that encourage children to engage in unstructured outdoor play are being put to the test by a Perth paediatrician, who wants other doctors to follow his lead.

Instead of prescribing drugs, David Roberts has been writing prescriptions for his young patients to spend time exploring outside and has seen their health improve.

The prescription is on a normal prescription pad, which Dr Roberts said is much more effective than verbal advice.

"We've long since known there is something magical about the power of the prescription pad," Dr Roberts said.

"I've often joked with parents of the children I see that if I write something on a script pad, they're more likely to take it seriously than if I simply write it on a blank piece of paper.

"It does seem to make them take more seriously the advice they've been given."

The idea of nature prescriptions for children first took hold in the US and green scripts for adults are in use in New Zealand.

Dr Roberts prescribes them for nearly all his patients, not just those with obesity, after taking a detailed history of their diet, sleep, physical activity and unstructured play.

"The health benefits are extraordinary but there are many other areas of benefit too, like the child's capacity for creativity, their development of executive function, their problem-solving skills, stability in terms of mental health and how well they sleep and concentrate, and develop and maintain friendships," he said.

"My anecdotal evidence is that children's behaviour is changing as a result of this."

Dr Roberts, who chairs the WA committee of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and Nature Play WA, said he hoped all doctors would adopt the idea.

Nature prescriptions have cautious endorsement from the Australian Medical Association, with State president Dave Mountain saying they were probably most effective in conjunction with a range of support services.

Dr Mountain said nature prescriptions could be useful in the fight against obesity, anxiety, heart disease and many other conditions.

"There is evidence that they can modify behaviour in getting people to exercise more and get outside, which can only have positive health benefits," Dr Mountain said.
"Most people will actually fill their script and take their pill. The fact that your doctor has written something actually compels you to do your part."

Article link.... (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/9431290/go-out-and-play-doctors-order/)

And fun... exercise and fun. At my boring old age nothing entertains me more than hearing all the squealing and laughing of kids playing. I'm sure parents appreciate the quiet that comes afterwards when they run out of steam and the dream times come.

osoab
13th May 2011, 06:29 PM
The fact that the parents are that dumb is appalling.

Shorty Harris
14th May 2011, 04:48 AM
I don't know, sounds like child abuse to me. :sarc:

Road Runner
14th May 2011, 05:17 AM
Wonder how much those office visits cost??? Common sense is free.. :)