PDA

View Full Version : Depression: Rare colour photographs

EE_
18th May 2011, 09:23 AM
Check them out, later we can match them up with this Great Depression.
I bet our's will be much much more depressing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1388179/Rare-Library-Congress-colour-photographs-Great-Depression.html

chad
18th May 2011, 09:31 AM
this is at least the fourth time i have seen these "rare color photographs discovered" story in the last 2 years or so (and it's the exact same group of pictures). i'm trying to find out what the angle is...

Bullion_Bob
18th May 2011, 10:07 AM
Everything looks pretty normal for that time period to me.

drafter
18th May 2011, 11:17 AM
this is at least the fourth time i have seen these "rare color photographs discovered" story in the last 2 years or so (and it's the exact same group of pictures). i'm trying to find out what the angle is...

I've kinda been wondering the same thing. Anybody notice the pictures are a tad heavy on showcasing women and minorities? Just kinda strikes me as a little odd. Just my observation.

Korbin Dallas
18th May 2011, 11:44 AM
The difference in today's depression photos will be the designer clothes, flat screen TV's, ipads and all the other bullshit corporate Amerika has brainwashed the masses into thinking they need. During the '30's, people still somewhat knew how to survive and put food on their own tables.

sirgonzo420
18th May 2011, 11:48 AM
The difference in today's depression photos will be the designer clothes, flat screen TV's, ipads and all the other Bullshit corporate Amerika has brainwashed the masses into thinking they need. During the '30's, people still somewhat knew how to survive and put food on their own tables.

People still know how to put food on the table.

Get check.

"Cash" check.

Go to store.

Get food.

The method has just changed a bit.

Uncle Salty
18th May 2011, 12:07 PM
The dug out house was nice. I want one.

solid
18th May 2011, 12:16 PM
The difference in today's depression photos will be the designer clothes, flat screen TV's, ipads and all the other Bullshit corporate Amerika has brainwashed the masses into thinking they need. During the '30's, people still somewhat knew how to survive and put food on their own tables.

Indeed, to add to the whole "purchase your way to happiness" culture, if you are not happy, you must have a disorder and need medication. Back in the 30's, people were working too hard to survive and didn't have time to create disorders for themselves. Anyone who was truly mental and could hurt others, would get thrown in a straight jacket and hauled away. Nobody wants that.

I bet if we all of a sudden went back to the straight jacket days....90% of disorders would magically disappear overnight.

TV's, gizmos and gadgets, and meds...todays depression era.

gunDriller
18th May 2011, 01:55 PM
interesting. pics of rural living & massive public works projects.

actually, to me, that doesn't seem so bad at all. as long as the public works thing is something useful, like a dam that makes hydro, not a Sarah Palin bridge to nowhere.

the rural living - speaks for itself.

what's wrong with the Amish style of farming ? (without the Amish rigid role-definition of what men & woman can & can't do.)

in the 1930's, the US was a net importer of oil.

there were lots of farms, small farms.

there were fewer guns. not that guns are bad, but given that people are now dependent on expensive fuel for their cars, and lack resources to grow their own food ... disputes are more likely to happen, and more likely to be settled with guns than with fists or knives.

2010's Depression = 1930's Depression + iPods + Meth. + Cell Phones. - Farming - HomeMade Fuel

We've Come So Far. :sarc:

Ponce
18th May 2011, 03:11 PM
I just love that A-20 bomber, very rustic and wont crap from anyone......never seen one like that one before.