PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts State Militia Reactivated

osoab
1st June 2011, 09:58 AM
Are they needing lakeys for something else? Maybe Sparky can infiltrate. ;D

Snap to attention!
State militia reactivated to shore up local security (http://www.telegram.com/article/20110601/NEWS/106019919/-1/NEWS07)

WORCESTER — The state’s militia was reactivated yesterday to provide emergency support in the event of natural and other disasters and to augment the work of the Massachusetts National Guard, which has been spread thin over the past few years because of deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Massachusetts State Defense Force, which was mothballed several years ago, was formally re-established during ceremonies held at the Massachusetts National Guard Museum and Archives.

The defense force will be under the command of the governor and will report directly to the state adjutant general. Brig. Gen. Gary Pappas (Ret.) was named commander.

According to Brig. Gen. Paul G. Smith, assistant adjutant general for the Massachusetts National Guard, the MSDF will be primarily responsible for assisting and providing logistical support at emergencies such as floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and snowstorms.

He said the reactivation was necessitated, in large part, because of the National Guard’s transformation from “a strategic reserve to an operational force.”

Officials said that the MSDF is a military force authorized by state law but is not subject to federal call-up. Members are volunteers, and, unlike guardsmen, receive no monetary or other compensation.

Gen. Smith said the MSDF is now forming a command staff and is still being organized.

He said he believes most of the MSDF’s membership will be retired military personnel. It’s expected that most of the officers will have an average of 30 years of service.

“This is about civic engagement and an opportunity for retired military personnel to serve,” Gen. Smith said.

First Sgt. Pallas A. Wahl, a spokesman for the Massachusetts National Guard, said the MSDF is especially interested in recruiting lawyers, doctors, chaplains, and other skilled professionals who can assist with relief operations.

Officials said a full recruitment effort will begin once the MSDF’s command structure is in place.

Healthy individuals between the ages of 21 and 70 are eligible to join.

Gen. Pappas said the MSDF, which will be headquartered at National Guard facilities in Milford, will meet and train regularly but not as often as guardsmen.

He said discussions about reactivating the MSDF began about three years ago and focus groups composed of individuals with military service provided input.

Lt. Gov. Timothy P. Murray, who spoke at the ceremony, said the MSDF is needed, noting the thousands from Massachusetts that have been called to service to the Middle East since 9-11.

The MSDF’s roots go back to the Civil War and a militia has been mustered from time to time. For example, the organization played an important role during World Wars I and II.

In addition to their supportive roles, MSDF members may assist at color guards and military funeral details.

Yesterday’s ceremony was attended by several veterans groups, including the First and Second Corps of Cadets, the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Co. of Boston and Disabled American Veterans.

sunnyandseventy
1st June 2011, 10:08 AM
Um yeah...
Trust me. It's no militia. Not even close. My state did this after Sept 11th. It took them until early last year to force out the "gun" types.
They just want people in uniform to hand out water, manage shelters, set up folding chairs, parking cars, etc.
NO WEAPONS.

Sparky
1st June 2011, 11:20 AM

I think maybe I'll stay clear of this one. Would rather join the GSUS militia... ;)

osoab
1st June 2011, 12:41 PM

I think maybe I'll stay clear of this one. Would rather join the GSUS militia... ;)

Probably would be for the best.