PDA

View Full Version : Pickup runs on wood.

Ponce
4th June 2011, 10:19 AM
Pickup runs on wood.

A lot of people complain about the high price of gasoline but Ron Lemler did something about it.

The Marshall County man built a hybrid vehicle—that runs on wood.

“I don’t have to use any gas (gasoline),” said Lemler. “I feel bad for everybody else you know, that has to pay the price, but whenever it (the price of gasoline) goes up more, I just drive my truck more,” said Lemler.

Lemler has a 1960 Ford F250 pickup truck with a complex wood burning contraption bolted down in the back bed.

On this day, Ron poured small pieces of oak into a cylindrical “wood gas generator,” which was located just behind the passenger cab, and actually stood higher than the roof of the cab.

“I used just stuff that we had laying around the shop here; the tank itself was made out of an old water heater and then, so is the filter, and these here were just some old sawdust augers.”

After Ron filled the generator with wood, he used a blow torch to light it through a small opening in the middle of the tank.

“You see the charcoal behind there, that charcoal is red hot already,” Lemler said.

The entire process is a bit like lighting a bar-b-que grill, but in this case, the contraption extracts gas from the burning wood, cools it, and then feeds it to what’s behind the grill of his pickup.

“The main reason I did it is because when I heard about it, I really wondered if it would work,” Ron said.

Lemler pushed down a lever mounted to the left of the driver seat that switched the fuel source from gasoline to wood gas. He then turned the key.

Although truck didn’t start on the first try, it wasn’t long before it did, and he was lumbering down the highway.

“It has a little bit of smell,” said Lemler. “Like bar-b-que almost.”

On the downside, no matter how they’re made, wood gas generators are big and bulky.

No matter what the season, the truck has to warm up for about five minutes before it is ready to roll.

Furthermore, a wood powered vehicle won’t go as fast as its gasoline counterpart. The top speed of Ron’s pickup is about 65 miles per hour.

On the plus side, if he so chooses, Ron never has to stop at a gas station. “The fuel tank holds about nine buckets (of wood), and it’ll take me between 80 and 100 miles, it varies that much. I think it has to do with, a lot, with headwinds and the type of wood I’m burning and how dry it is, how much moisture content is in the wood.”

Ron has never driven the truck further than he did last month when he and his wife Ronda took a trip to Mackinaw.

“We can just hop in the truck, fill it with wood that just is scrap, and we can go wherever we want, pretty much,” said Ronda Lemler.

The trip totaled 900 miles. All but 30 miles were driven using pure wood power.

The Lemler’s stopped three times to reload the wood gas generator on the way up to Mackinaw, and twice on the way back.

Using gas, Ron’s truck gets about 12 miles per gallon, with wood, performance is measured in miles per pound.

On the Mackinaw trip, Ron’s truck went about one mile for every pound and a quarter of lumber.

When asked if wood was a cheaper fuel source than gasoline, Ron replied, “Well, for me it’s free.”

Ron operates a wood pallet business and therefore gets his wood from the scrap heap for free.

It was when business was slow back in 2008 that he first got the urge to become more energy independent.

Ron took advantage of the free time he had to go beyond simply complaining about high gasoline prices.

“He’s a doer,” said Ronda Lemler. “He don’t say a whole lot, and he, you know, he’s thinking all the time, but you never know for sure what he’s thinking about. But once he makes up his mind, he’s a doer, and he’s done it and I think it’s great.”

Ron Lemler displayed his truck in last years Nappanee Apple Festival Parade and he will do so again this year.

“I’m not really sending a message to Saudi Arabia, but it would be nice if America could use the resources that they already have on hand,” Ron Lemler said. “I can drive for nothing.”

The technology is nothing new: Wood chip gasification was actually popular in Europe during World War II.

Ron got the plans for his unit from a 1981 issue of Mother Earth News magazine.

Ron has been tinkering with his wood burning truck for about three years now and believes he has most of the bugs worked out.

Perhaps it is fitting that the 1960 red pickup truck he uses was formerly used as a fire truck.

The Lemler’s live in Bourbon, Indiana.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/Truck_runs_on_wood_123049698.html

solid
4th June 2011, 10:46 AM
Sounds like this guy turned his truck into one big molotov cocktail. I don't know if that's courage, stupidity, or just a big set of balls...all I know is I hope I don't end up driving next to this guy.

the biss
4th June 2011, 11:19 AM
Wood gasification is an old old technology. The Nazis used it in WWII when their vehicles ran out of petrol. Mother Earth News did an across-the-country tour with their wood gas truck back in the early 1980s. I have a 1976 Dodge D100 that I plan on converting to woodgas.

The downside is that there is no crank and roll. You have to wait for combustion to begin, meaning that you plan your trips to the store better. Also, you use a pound of wood per mile driven. Every 50 miles or so, you have to stop, get out and restoke the gassifier unit.

keehah
4th June 2011, 12:51 PM
If you live in a relatively flat forested or coal area, great technology if oil is cut off to run a local transport and bus service with one of those smaller cube van buses.

http://www.gengas.nu/byggbes/contents.shtml
http://www.gengas.nu/byggbes/executive_summary.shtml

This report is one in a series of emergency technology assessments sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The purpose of this report is to develeop detailed, illustrated instructions for the fabrication, installation, and operation of a biomass gasifier unit (i.e. a "producer gas" generator, also called a "wood gas" generator) which is capable of providing emergency fuel for vehicles, such as tractors and trucks, should normal petroleum sources be severely disrupted for an extended period of time. These instructions have been prepared as a manual for use by any mechanic who is reasonably proficient in metal fabrication or engine repair.

Fuel gas, produced by the reduction of coal and peat, was used for heating as early as 1840 in Europe and by 1884 had been adapted to fuel engines in England. Prior to 1940, gas generator units were a familiar, but not extensively utilized, technology. However, petroleum shortages during World War II led to widespread gas generator applications in the transportation industries of Western Europe. (Charcoal burning taxis, a related application, were still common in Korea as late as 1970.) The United States, never faced with such prolonged or severe oil shortages, has lagged far behind Europe and the Orient in familiarity with and application of this technology. However, a catastrophic event could disrupt the supply of petroleum in this country so severely that this technology might be critical in meeting the energy needs of some essential economic activities, such as the production and distribution of food.

keehah
16th November 2011, 11:07 PM
http://krisdedecker.typepad.com/.a/6a00e0099229e88833014e60e703bc970c-320wi

Gas Bag Vehicles
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/11/gas-bag-vehicles.html

November 13, 2011
Wood gas cars were not the only answer to the limited supply of gasoline in World War One and Two. An even more cumbersome alternative came in the form of the gas bag vehicle.

The old-timers on these pictures are not moving furniture or an oversized load. What can be seen on the roof is the fuel tank of the vehicle - a balloon filled with uncompressed gas.

Gas bag vehicles were built during World War One and (especially) World War Two in France, the Netherlands, Germany and England as an improvised solution to the shortage of gasoline. Apart from automobiles, buses and trucks were also equipped with the technology. The vehicles consumed 'town gas' or 'street gas', a by-product of the process of turning coal into cokes (which are used to make iron).

Today, vehicles powered by compressed natural gas (CNG) or liquified petroleum gas (LPG) are quite practical. The fuel tank needs to be roughly twice as big as a gasoline fuel tank in order to get the same range. But the fuel used for gas bag vehicles during the World Wars was generally not compressed and had a much lower energy density than LPG or CNG. To replace one litre of gasoline, two to three cubic metres of gas was needed.

The only way to get a somewhat practical range, was to use an extremely large 'fuel tank'. Buses were better suited for this than automobiles - they had a full-length gas storage bag on a roof rack. It could be enclosed in a streamlined fairing but most often it was not

Private automobiles were equipped with a wooden framework which was fastened to the roof and the reinforced bumpers of the vehicle. It was hard to overlook a gas bag vehicle passing along.

The Dutch old-timer on the pictures above carried a gas storage bag of 13 cubic metres, an installation that gave it a range of approximately 50 km (30 miles) at an energy consumption of 13 litres per km (22 mpg). The aerodynamics of gas bag automobiles were disastrous, so fuel economy was far from optimal.

Witnesses to the vehicle passing by could easily see how much fuel was left: the gas bag was fully inflated at the start of a trip, and it deflated with every mile that was driven.

The gas storage bags were made of silk or other fabrics, soaked in rubber (Zodiac was one of the manufacturers). These bags were (and are) much cheaper and easier to build than metal tanks. They could also be repaired in a similar way to bicycle tyres. The bag was anchored to the roof using rings and straps. Some gas bag vehicles could operate alternatively on gas or gasoline. Switching between the two options could be controlled from inside the vehicle.

Although it was technically possible to compress town gas or street gas, this did not happen because of two reasons. Carbon monoxide, one of the components of town gas and street gas, disintegrates quickly when compressed, while hydrogen gas, another component, leaks away through steel tanks when it is compressed.

http://krisdedecker.typepad.com/.a/6a00e0099229e88833014e60e7fb4a970c-pi

The only exception was the use of gas cylinders in France during World War Two (picture above), allowing for a smaller fuel tank or a better range. Natural gas was used in this case, which could be compressed without the drawbacks of compressing town gas. However, this configuration turned out to be more expensive and more dangerous.

It will not surprise anyone that gas bag vehicles had their risks. One obvious risk was fire, which could cause a gas explosion. As a result, people waiting for the bus were urged not to smoke (See pictures: "Autobus-Haltestelle" = "bus stop" & "Rauchen verboten" = "smoking prohibited").

Another risk were bridges and other overhead obstacles. The driver needed to know the exact height of his vehicle and of the bridges that he planned to drive underneath.

Excessive speeds were not a good idea either. It was advised not to surpass a speed of 50 km/h (30 mph), not only to maintain a decent range but also to make sure that the fuel tank would not fly off the vehicle. Strong side winds could present hazardous situations, too. Gas bag vehicles also suffered from carburator fires, loud bangs and engine damage.

Gas bag buses could still be seen in China in the 1990s, notably in the municipality of Chongqing where they were developed in peace time as a cheap public transportation option.

Edited by Deva Lee. Thanks to Dutch John.

mightymanx
16th November 2011, 11:20 PM
My wood gas generator project is stalled I am still designing the cooler, reclaim filter and concentrator.

Wood gas to run a small engine like Brigs and stratton etc. is easy now getting it small and hi concentration is hard.

The problems are filtering and cooling of the gas the engine carbons up fairly quickly with unfiltered woodgas.

I am trying to adapt a 10 horse Brigg's and stratton side shaft to a wood gas system that fits on a standard 4'x4' pallet.

Small and efficient is hard big is easy.

palani
17th November 2011, 09:19 AM
They will catch up with him. Theft of services. He don't pay road use tax and does not contribute to the roads he destroys. Also, EPA hasn't checked his emissions so he is running around uncertified. Probably a $50,000 fine there.

Son-of-Liberty
17th November 2011, 10:15 AM
Hydrogen Generator Gas for Vehicles and Engines: Volumes 3 and 4

http://www.knowledgepublications.com/

Yes you can run a generator on wood. Contains Hands ON DIY STEP By STEP Construction of a Simplified Wood Gas Generator for an engine in a Petroleum Emergency. Includes detailed, illustrated instructions for the fabrication, installation, and operation of a Biomass Gasifier plus it contains The Handbook of Biomass Gasifier Engine Systems, which gives you all the theory and background on design, testing, operation and manufacture of small-scale gasifiers. We have combined two unique works and republished them as the second book in our Hydrogen Generator Gas for Vehicles and Engines series to help fill the continuing needs for information in this needed DIY home power field.