PDA

View Full Version : Glock "unsupported case web" myth

Gaillo
5th June 2011, 02:00 PM
There's a myth going around that Glock handguns blow up ("KB") more frequently than other handguns because a large portion of the case web is unsupported in the chamber (left "hanging out" without surrounding metal). I found this photo on another site:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31096&d=1205545053

Draw your own conclusions.

sunnyandseventy
5th June 2011, 02:12 PM
From that pic I'd say the Glock is fine.
My impression was the KB problem was with .40S&W models?
In Glocks defense (I don't own any) I'd suggest more people report this because Glock has sold so many handguns. There's likely to be a higher number of failures. Also the Glock crowd maybe a little more internet savvy on gun forums.

It's kind of like Beretta 92's in my opinion. A lot of people, especially ex-mil say they suck and are unreliable. I've seen military M-9's and the majority were running with worn parts and springs. Another one is that it and the 9MM had no knockdown power. I suggest there are a lot of "misses" behind these claims. Only the higher speed special types get a lot of pistol training.

If someone gave me a Glock 19 I wouldn't worry about thing other than I can't shoot cast reloads in it.

Heimdhal
5th June 2011, 03:18 PM
Its BS at this point. But yes, glocks do have a partialy supported (or partialy unsupported, however you want to say it) chamber.

There were problems about 15 years ago and it was almost exclusivley in the .40 cals when they first started entering the market. Then it became an issue for reloades who were using already fired brass (weakened case webbing), with lead bullets out of a pollygonal rifled barrel (excessive leading, causing pressure spikes).

The reason the whole "Glock KB" thing is still floating around is because there are groups of people that are want nothing more than to bring the gun down and screw noobz.

I wouldnt worry about it. There are over 4 million glocks in this country alone, not to mention the rest of the world and a few handfulls of gun failures over 20+ years doesnt make the design bad. They are great guns, just like the other three guns in the picture above. Anyone of them would serve well.

madfranks
5th June 2011, 07:28 PM
I've owned and fired many handguns in my day, and the only one that has never ever had a misfire is my Glock.

mightymanx
5th June 2011, 08:35 PM
I have a gen 2 glock 19 that I bought used when I turned 21 that was 17 years ago I have shot LOOOOOOTTTTTs of ammo thorugh it. I have shot lots of cast through it as well SHHHHH don't tell Glock. You need to clean it very well and use hard cast bullets but if Glock say no don't do it because I have. if I hadd to guess I would say 50k total shot through it.

My point is that gun has been going so long, and still my EDC It has had 1 breakdown and I did not know it was broken the pin supporting the trigger was broken for how long I have no idea I went to a Glock only Match and the armorors gave it a tune up and found the problem. I am about to see if I can send it back to Glock for a refinish mine is about worn off.

Conversly I have broken (3) 92F/M-9's at work 2 cracked locking blocks and a cracked frame that gave me one hell of a blood blister it seperated and then clamped down on my hand.

My friend said it best Glock is the Mackentosh of the gunworld you either love them or hate them.

I want another Gen 2 Glock as a backup/bugout pistol (I hate the finger groves of newer Glocks) but they are hard to find. and I cant justify sending a brand new pistol to Robar to change the grip and void the waranty.

JJ.G0ldD0t
13th June 2011, 10:32 AM
My friend said it best Glock is the Mackintosh of the gun world you either love them or hate them.

I want another Gen 2 Glock as a backup/bug out pistol (I hate the finger groves of newer Glocks) but they are hard to find. and I cant justify sending a brand new pistol to Robar to change the grip and void the warranty.

IMO the lovers outnumber the haters at this point.

I recently picked up a G21 w/ some custom work and I'm in love.
warranty be damned - lol

This one has some really kewl mods:

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/index.html