PDA

View Full Version : World is the largest privately owned residential yacht on Earth.

Ponce
11th June 2011, 10:51 AM
About six years ago they were selling the cheapest apartment for $185,000...it looks like now is going for $750,000, go to link for some real good photos.
================================================== =================

World is the largest privately owned residential yacht on Earth.

St Tropez, Seychelles and… SOUTH SHIELDS: Luxury tax haven cruise liner for the world's super-rich docks on the Geordie shore
By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 9:04 PM on 10th June 2011

Comments (29) Add to My Stories Share The passengers on board The World, the most luxurious cruise ship ever built, have something else in common besides being extremely wealthy - they share a sense of adventure.
Yesterday, the 130 families who call the liner home arrived at their latest destination as they sail around the world.
And this time, it wasn't St Tropez or the Seychelles.. but South Shields.

Incoming: The World luxury cruise liner approaches the River Tyne at Tynemouth on Friday, as part of a series of visits including London Edinburgh, Bergen, Stavanger, Kristiansand and Oslo.

As the ship gently made its first trip up the Tyne, the liner's residents - who hail from the US, Europe, South Africa, Asia and Australia - no doubt took in the scenery as it docked at Northumbrian Quay.
Home for each family is one of 165 bespoke apartments - costing from £500,000 to over £3million - on a one-of-a-kind ship that forever seeks out new and interesting places to visit.

The World's 2011 itinerary includes visits to 53 countries chosen by the residents for their individuality. In June, the ship is visiting London, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Bergen, Stavanger, Kristiansand and Oslo.

However, the residents were looking forward to sampling the rich history and culture of North East England.

During their overnight stay, they were set to visit the Angel of the North, Durham Cathedral and Castle, Hadrian's Wall, and some were even planning a trip to Edinburgh Waverley station to catch the Flying Scotsman back to Tyneside.
Coming in: The World luxury cruise liner enters the River Tyne at Tynemouth. The residents, from about 40 different countries, live on board as the ship slowly circumnavigates the globe

Up river: The World Luxury Cruise liner passes North Shields fish quay as the passengers prepare to visit sites in the North East of England including Durham
Launched in 2002, the World is the largest privately owned residential yacht on Earth. It circumnavigates the globe every two years following an itinerary that passengers select.

On board they enjoy fine dining, a wine cellar with 12,000 bottles of vintage champagne, personal fitness coaches, full size tennis courts, spas and a gourmet deli.

Andrew Moffat, Port of Tyne chief executive, said cruise ships docking on the Tyne may be a joke to those outside the region, but it's serious business for the North East: Ships belonging to companies such as Fred Olsen, Saga, P&O and Holland and America are regular callers.
Dock of the Bay: The World luxury cruise liner, a ship serving as a residential community owned by its residents, amid the industrial surroundings of the River Tyne.

The Port of Tyne cruise business alone has grown from zero in 2003 to a business now worth £33m per year to the North East, with 1,400 jobs created by tourists staying in the region before heading abroad. Another £11m is added by ferry passengers, mostly to Scandinavia.

Mr Moffat said: 'The fact The World is paying a visit to the Port of Tyne is testament to our region's rich heritage and vibrant city culture.

'The Port of Tyne is competing against destinations such a Monaco, Cape Town, Istanbul and Madagascar in attracting cruise ships like this.

'It is a fantastic coup to have The World here and I'm looking forward to meeting the captain and welcoming the ship to North East England.'
Costs the World: A man take a close-up view of the cruise liner berthed up on the River Tyne at South Shields. Apartments cost from £500,000 to more than £3m

Sunday will also see the return of Holland America's 'Eurodam' bringing over 2,100 passengers who will also visit attractions across the North East.

Mr Moffat added: 'A cruise like Eurodam adds an estimated £1million to the regional economy each time it calls and, the good news is, it is set to return in 2012.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002242/San-Tropez-Seychelles-SOUTH-SHIELDS-Luxury-tax-haven-cruise-liner-super-rich-docks-Geordie-shore.html#ixzz1OylXnS4O

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002242/San-Tropez-Seychelles-SOUTH-SHIELDS-Luxury-tax-haven-cruise-liner-super-rich-docks-Geordie-shore.html#ixzz1OykmuCIr

willie pete
11th June 2011, 11:28 AM
hell of a boat....if you buy one ponche; hope you get a good neighbor ...lol ...cause you'd be stuck, ....wonder what the monthly maintenance fees are?

Ponce
11th June 2011, 12:35 PM
The one that I read long ago it was around $35,000 a year....it worked as a co-op.........thinking about it, I think that I'll do a search because this one doesn't look as big as the one that I saw before, that was was for around 2,000 apartments.....it even had a small jet landing pad on top together with helicopters pads.

willie pete
11th June 2011, 01:46 PM
The one that I read long ago it was around $35,000 a year....it worked as a co-op.........thinking about it, I think that I'll do a search because this one doesn't look as big as the one that I saw before, that was was for around 2,000 apartments.....it even had a small jet landing pad on top together with helicopters pads.

Ouch...almost $3k a month for maint. fees? .....I'd rather be on land, sure there are earthquakes,tornados,hurricanes....etc ..BUT boats CAN Sink .....lol

Horn
11th June 2011, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr0Vt7E7U7w