PDA

View Full Version : Holy shit balls - New Life Form Unwittingly Created By Monsanto Unleashed

General of Darkness
11th June 2011, 10:31 PM
LINK TO VIDEO.

http://my.firedoglake.com/tucsonrobert1/2011/06/10/new-life-form-unwittingly-created-by-monsanto-unleashed-a-follow-up/

The above video is twenty minutes of your time that will have been well spent, I promise. A special hat tip to GreenWarrior of FireDogLake for adding the link in my post of 6/8/’11 on this topic “If You Are Human, And Eat Food; You Probably Ought To Read This.” here:

http://my.firedoglake.com/tucsonrobert1/2011/06/08/if-you-are-human-and-eat-food-you-probably-ought-to-read-this/

Despite emphatic warnings by well credentialed experts, and overwhelmingly vehement opposition by the majority of the farming community the USDA and Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack and therefore President Obama’s administration have “fully deregulated genetically engineered alfalfa ” which is our predominant feed crop for livestock. The implications of this decision are huge. It is predicted by Dr. Huber in the above video that within only five years there will no longer exist any alfalfa that is not genetically engineered. This is a decision from which there may be no way to turn back, irreversible. “Big AG” has won again. But what they have won, besides obscene relatively short term profits, is questionable to say the very least. As documented by Sarah Parsons at Change.org here:

http://news.change.org/stories/usda-approves-genetically-engineered-alfalfanow-what

and also here:

http://news.change.org/stories/on-the-heels-of-ge-alfalfas-approval-usda-deregulates-genetically-modified-sugar-beets

If Monsanto’s genetically engineered alfalfa (glyphosate resistant) sprayed with Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide prove to be as conducive to the spread of this new pathogenic life form discussed in my above cited post, as is Monsanto’s GMO corn and soy, we are all in trouble. We may then have enabled this new organism to flourish and spread beyond our ability to recall.

Perhaps its very existence already delineates a point too far?

As described by Dr. Huber in the above video, in the livestock herds studied to date, infertility rates of 15% have been observed and combined spontaneous abortion+still birth rates as high as 35% are evident in livestock exposed to and infected by this new virus/fungus by Monsanto’s roundup ready corn and soy crops. If you are a farmer or rancher, and 50% of your herd is unable to reproduce, very shortly you will no longer have a herd.

If all of this so far weren’t enough, the USDA and Secretary Vilsack, and President Obama, have also partially deregulated Monsanto’s genetically engineered sugar beets. The sugar beet crop provides as much as half of our sugar here in the U.S. and will of course give this nasty little critter that has been unleashed yet another frontier in which to flourish and spread.

As a corollary aside to this discussion, Monsanto’s Corporate “ethics” are being looked askance at in other parts of the world as well. Sonali Kolhatkar reporting for Alternet here:

http://www.alternet.org/world/147825/bollywood_superstar_aamir_khan_shines_the_spotligh t_on_what’s_caused_an_estimated_150,000_farmer_sui cides_in_india/

tells us that in India “the vast majority of the world’s second most populated country still farms for a living……… and nearly 150,000 farmers have committed suicide in the past ten years.”

That’s 15,000 farmers per/year folks. Committing suicide. After having gotten involved with Monsanto.

If all you’ve heard me rant about in these last two posts on this topic sounds alarmist, try not to forget that these are the good people who gave us “agent orange”.

Better living through chemistry indeed.

Twisted Titan
11th June 2011, 10:48 PM
Heirloom seeds will be pricelless sooner rather than later.

Cebu_4_2
11th June 2011, 10:52 PM
solution? Suggestions? What are we able to do about this but bitch and post articles that lead us to the end? What can we do? Doom articles without an answer just lead to doom.

optionT
11th June 2011, 11:05 PM
We get grass fed beef an hour outside of Chicago and I asked the farmer lady what they plan to do about the GMO alfalfa. She said they and other grass fed cow farmers don't know what they're going to do! Their cows primarily eat alfalfa and this would be a devastating blow to them and to consumers.
Monsanto may have won.

Olmstein
12th June 2011, 12:13 AM
We're not too far off from a Grey Goo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo) scenario. Either organic or nanotech.

Serpo
12th June 2011, 12:21 AM
Monsanto is a new life form

palani
12th June 2011, 04:00 AM
A local farmer told me the license fee for roundup ready alfalfa is $125 a bag. That means a bag of seed would go for darned close to $300.

I see no advantage to having an alfalfa that you can use roundup on. A thick field of alfalfa by itself crowds out weeds and you control the ones that do come up by mowing 3-4 times a year when you take the hay off. If you have weeds taller than the alfalfa you can use a wiper attached to the loader on a tractor and just wipe roundup on the weed only. We used to to do this all the time with volunteer corn that came up in soybean fields.

Roundup is a chelator. It attaches to several minerals and starves the plants (including the alfalfa) of these minerals. Farmers are finding they have to do a foliar application of spray containing these minerals in corn to replace them. They would have to do the same with alfalfa.

I don't know of anyone who puts in 100% alfalfa. Usually you add brome and other grasses as well as clover and timothy to the mix because the goal is to get as much tonnage per acre as you can get. Depending on the season some grasses outperform others so the composition per cutting varies. Spray roundup on these other beneficial plants and they are gone.

Serpo
12th June 2011, 04:04 AM
Monsanto gone MAD

gunDriller
12th June 2011, 06:34 AM
Heirloom seeds will be pricelless sooner rather than later.

Good to know.

On Friday I took delivery of 45 pounds of heirloom corn seed, from a farmer in Idaho.

It was interesting to hear how they do the harvest. The corn is all dry. I asked them how they dry it, that is one of the best parts about buying from him, he shares his knowledge.

He said they dry the corn on the cob, in the field. Then the combine does all the work - removes the husk, strips the kernels, keeps the kernels and spits the cobs, husks, stalk etc. back onto the ground.

His solution to controlling fuel costs - a 100,000 gallon tank for diesel fuel.

mrnhtbr2232
12th June 2011, 06:44 AM
solution? Suggestions? What are we able to do about this but bitch and post articles that lead us to the end? What can we do? Doom articles without an answer just lead to doom.

For those ahead of the curve they have long since stockpiled good seed stock and grow their own food. For those that are not there's always local farmer's markets selling organic. Even without a lot of dirt space you can grow fruit trees as a good source of fiber and minerals. There are ways Cebu - GoD is keeping the information flowing - that is an important part of awareness, not doom for doom's sake.

gunDriller
12th June 2011, 09:43 AM
For those ahead of the curve they have long since stockpiled good seed stock and grow their own food. For those that are not there's always local farmer's markets selling organic. Even without a lot of dirt space you can grow fruit trees as a good source of fiber and minerals. There are ways Cebu - GoD is keeping the information flowing - that is an important part of awareness, not doom for doom's sake.

for people that don't have a lot of grow space, it helps to have access to plants that are high-yielding, per square foot. like you said, fruit trees, although they take some time to grow to a size where they produce fruit.

one other example is Tree Chard, it's a humongous growing chard that i actually got from a community garden in San Francisco, the Argonne community garden between Fulton & Cabrillo, 15th & 16th in the Richmond.

Tree Chard is best suited to the coastal climate - it transplants super-easy - all you need is a cutting. grows 5 feet tall, you can get 5% of your diet from 4 square feet.

in San Francisco there are also native edibles, e.g. Miner's lettuce, grows wild in Golden Gate Park near the ocean. acres & acres of it.