PDA

View Full Version : Here's My Chicken Tractor!

uncletonoose
14th June 2011, 08:47 AM
I wanted to have a few chickens for a while, so I built a chicken tractor. It is 4' x 8', and the cage is 2' tall with a nice little house on top 3' x 4'.

Dogman
14th June 2011, 08:58 AM
Mundo cool, saves the grass, the grass get fertilized, win win ...Bravo!

Book
14th June 2011, 09:00 AM
The workmanship is pro all the way.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/cool.gif

Olmstein
14th June 2011, 09:20 AM
That is a nice looking tractor.

Seeing that gave me an idea; what if you motorized the thing, and hooked it up to something like a Roomba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roomba). so it could travel around your field all by itself.

Dogman
14th June 2011, 09:22 AM
That is a nice looking tractor.

Seeing that gave me an idea; what if you motorized the thing, and hooked it up to something like a Roomba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roomba). so it could travel around your field all by itself.

Hoot!

LMFAO! ;D

keehah
14th June 2011, 10:02 AM
Looks great! The only thing I would change is making it wider for commercial production.

Is that where it is staying? While the lawn will get good fertilizer, it will never look that good again! :)

ximmy
14th June 2011, 10:51 AM
Very nice... me wants one...

uncletonoose
14th June 2011, 11:38 AM
Looks great! The only thing I would change is making it wider for commercial production.

Is that where it is staying? While the lawn will get good fertilizer, it will never look that good again! :)

I am moving it every couple of days, real easy with the wheels, just lift up a bit and pull. BTW there are 4 very young chickens in it, the oldest is 17 weeks and the youngest is 10 weeks. All doing very well.

po boy
14th June 2011, 01:35 PM
Nice job, was this your design or did you purchase plans?

osoab
14th June 2011, 01:43 PM
Very nice. What did you use for the side walls of the house? 2x2's and 3/8 board? How's the weight overall?

Oh, I also see a lot of unused garden space in those pics. :D

uncletonoose
14th June 2011, 02:53 PM
Nice job, was this your design or did you purchase plans?

I saw one on Ebay, and modified the design, and built it with no real plans. i call it "build as you go".

ximmy
14th June 2011, 02:55 PM
I saw one on Ebay, and modified the design, and built it with no real plans. i call it "build as you go".

What kind of tractor are you using to mow that rather large lawn??

uncletonoose
14th June 2011, 02:59 PM
I used 2x2's and 7/16 OSB which has a texture, kind of looks like stucco when its painted.

Still in the clearing mode for the garden. Got rid of the grass and hoeing out the weeds, and gradually planting.

uncletonoose
14th June 2011, 03:02 PM
I have a 54" zero-turn. I am on a acre so it takes me about 25 minutes. it took me close to 1.5 hours with a regular riding mower. So it's a big relief with the ZT.

Eyebone
14th June 2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, thats the nicest I've ever seen, most are chicken wire with wheels.

Having a little coop?, coup? right in it is a great idea.

Korbin Dallas
15th June 2011, 09:54 AM
Very nice! Years ago I saw a rabbit cage which was similar, the guy was trying to sell them as organic lawn mower/fertilizers.