PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Attack

Spectrism
21st June 2011, 01:37 PM
When I got home today, I went to bring water to my chicks.

I have one cage of older hens laying eggs.... and another cage of 6-7 week old chicks.
I was very excited about the new birds. I had 12 meat birds, 10 dark cornish, 10 buff orpingtons, 6 rhode island reds and one barred rock. I bought out the remainder of the seller's birds when I picked up my new cornish hens, so I was loaded for the days ahead.

A hawk got in through the top of the cage and savaged half of them. Both cages ajoin houses that are large enough for them to take shelter... but the hawk even went into the house and ripped apart half of them in the house. I am really bummed out by that. That bird cost me dearly today.

Dogman
21st June 2011, 01:46 PM
Sorry for the loss, Was the hawk still around? And it sounds like better defenses are in order.

Rack it up as a learning experience that will not be repeated, with due diligence.

Spectrism
21st June 2011, 01:47 PM
yes and yes.

I had 2-inch chicken wire over the top. Unfortunately, the wire was laid in two strands from each side of the cage. The middle was not sewn tight yet where it overlapped. The birds have just gotten big enough to let them out of the house.... my bad for sure.

Dogman
21st June 2011, 01:49 PM
yes and yes.

If it was me the hawk will be toast, have pellet with its name on it.

mamboni
21st June 2011, 01:57 PM
I have four red tail hawks that are constantly hovering around my pen. I have the wiring tight as a drum with ties every couple of inches. So far, nothing has gotten in. Recently, a bear has been into the feed can; but, he hasn't tried to enter the pen.

Sorry for your loss.

Spectrism
21st June 2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys. The bird was in the cage and a threat to those still alive. Such birds will never stop. I worked for a pheasant breeder many years ago. Periodically a hawk or owl would crash through the tops of his cages... and usually break a wing in the process. One time an owl got in there and I tried to keep it as a pet. Ended up that the thing was let go since I could not domesticate it. Boy was my boss mad- even though he lived 10 miles away. He knew the thing would come right back for his birds. No more pets for Spectrism.

FYI-
Protective Legislation: Federal - Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. State - Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 26-311.

You will probably get ripped a bigger hole than all the chicks that thing savaged if they come after you.

Dogman
21st June 2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys. The bird was in the cage and a threat to those still alive. Such birds will never stop. I worked for a pheasant breeder many years ago. Periodically a hawk or owl would crash through the tops of his cages... and usually break a wing in the process. One time an owl got in there and I tried to keep it as a pet. Ended up that the thing was let go since I could not domesticate it. Boy was my boss mad- even though he lived 10 miles away. He knew the thing would come right back for his birds. No more pets for Spectrism.

FYI-
Protective Legislation: Federal - Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. State - Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 26-311.

You will probably get ripped a bigger hole than all the chicks that thing savaged if they come after you.

You were shooting skeet and the bird flew into your pattern. ;D Plus out of sight , out of mind! ;D

Spectrism
21st June 2011, 03:19 PM
I sewed up the cage tight. While working on it, I found 3 birds that were hidden. One under a flipped feeding tray and two under some wood. The half that are left are traumatized by the attack. They just want to hide in corners and under things. Some handling time settled them down.

Lessons:
Protect your assets.
Those who hide best live longest.
Don't count on nothing going wrong just because it hasn't happened before.
Don't be stupid like me.

Spectrism
21st June 2011, 03:26 PM
You were shooting skeet and the bird flew into your pattern. ;D Plus out of sight , out of mind! ;D

I really have no idea what you are talking about sir. What bird?

You know- many years ago I wanted to have a crow for a pet. Someone told me that they were protected under the migratory bird law. Even as a dumb kid... I thought- "boy the laws are stupid! Crows don't migrate."