PDA

View Full Version : automatic handguns question

seaurchin1
30th June 2011, 07:32 AM
I'm looking for an automatic handgun for target shooting and home defence, and was wondering which one to get.
I have heard that Glocks can jam up with some ammunition, Sigs are incredibly reliable, but pricey.
Has anyone here heard anything about the Smith and Wesson M & P40, as it hasn't been on the market
for very long. I'm partial to S & W as I have a model 586 .357, but am willing to consider other makes.
Any suggestions?

Book
30th June 2011, 08:03 AM
I'm looking for an automatic handgun for target shooting and home defense, and was wondering which one to get.

When distinguished as a subset of handguns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handgun), a pistol is a handgun with a chamber that is integral with the barrel, as opposed to a revolver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolver), wherein the chamber is separate from the barrel as a revolving cylinder.

:) pistol

Dogman
30th June 2011, 08:24 AM
I'm looking for an automatic handgun for target shooting and home defence, and was wondering which one to get.
I have heard that Glocks can jam up with some ammunition, Sigs are incredibly reliable, but pricey.
Has anyone here heard anything about the Smith and Wesson M & P40, as it hasn't been on the market
for very long. I'm partial to S & W as I have a model 586 .357, but am willing to consider other makes.
Any suggestions?

When distinguished as a subset of handguns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handgun), a pistol is a handgun with a chamber that is integral with the barrel, as opposed to a revolver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolver), wherein the chamber is separate from the barrel as a revolving cylinder.

:) pistol

You , I hope were referring to a semi-automatic handgun? Using the word automatic and any type of gun in the same sentence , gets the anti gun nuts drooling and spouting gibberish like , ban ban ban. Bunch of raving idiot morons! They can not see the difference between semi automatic and automatic.

SLV^GLD
30th June 2011, 08:35 AM
All of the above listed are fine "pistols", automatic handguns, semi-automatic pistols, gats, straps or whatever it pleases you to call them. Just remember the object that holds and feeds the ammunition is a magazine and not a clip and you'll be okay, LOL.

My recommendation would be to go to a range that rents the guns in question and try them out and see what fits you personally. It can also be helpful to narrow your choices down to a specific caliber before narrowing to a specific make and model.

As to jamming on certain ammunition that can generally be said for 90% of all guns. It is not necessarily a reflection on reliability as it is versatility. If the gun feeds ammunition it "likes" reliably then it can be considered reliable. My Honda is about as reliable as any car on the planet but if I put diesel into the tank it's gonna choke on it. for this reason I avoid putting diesel into the tank.

If you intend to use a gun to defend your life, liberty and property then you'd be wise to find out what ammunition works best in it and only load it with that. Range time is important to learn what works the best and to increase your own skillset.

SLV^GLD
30th June 2011, 08:37 AM
FFS, semi automatic pistols can absolutely be correctly called automatic pistols. The correct differentiation for the evil guns is "fully automatic".
Who the fuck cares how much drool the anti gun nutjobs spill in their own ignorance?

Dogman
30th June 2011, 08:46 AM
FFS, semi automatic pistols can absolutely be correctly called automatic pistols. The correct differentiation for the evil guns is "fully automatic".
Who the fuck cares how much drool the anti gun nutjobs spill in their own ignorance?

In general I do agree. But under the class "Automatic handgun" There are the 2 sub classes , automatic and semi-automatic.

The first you need to pay buckets of money for the tax stamp, then pass the background check , etc. Plus
the stamp needs to be renewed.

And then the semi that anyone that is not a felon , or pure nuts , can buy and possess depending on what dam city or state you live in.

madfranks
30th June 2011, 08:50 AM
You can't go wrong with a Glock 17. The standard magazine holds 17 rounds, and you can get an extended magazine that will hold 33 rounds. It's a full size handgun though, so if you have small hands or want to carry it concealed you might want to get the compact model 19, but you lose a few rounds capacity (standard 15 round mag).

madfranks
30th June 2011, 08:51 AM
Here's a full automatic handgun, the Glock 18:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjUDCyDCuI

Half Sense
30th June 2011, 11:16 AM
Any suggestions?

.357 isn't good enough for home defense?

seaurchin1
30th June 2011, 11:37 AM
Yes, the .357 is good for defense, but I would like another
gun and would like something other than a revolver just
for a change. Also, I am thinking of trying IPSC shooting.

steyr_m
30th June 2011, 08:13 PM
As to jamming on certain ammunition that can generally be said for 90% of all guns.

This is why I would have recommended a revolver. For both home defence, and maybe a bit of target shooting [but more for home defence] nothing beats a revolver. No safety, no controls, just pull the trigger and it works. There is no jamming with a revolver. They aren't tacti-cool; but are very effective. You're limited by the [usually] 6 shots though....

mightymanx
30th June 2011, 08:56 PM
The M&P is the first Smith and Wesson that has an outstanding reputation. the othere SW autos not so much.

I have shot about 50k rounds from my glock in the 17 years I have carried it and the only tine it jammed was right after I super cleaned it once it was dirty again it ran great.

Glocks are the Macntosh of the gunworld love or hate seems to be the only feelings about them. Sig, HK, CZ, and other big names make ine pistols.

Choosing a pistol is like choosing a woman what fits me and that I find sexy every single day is most often not going to be what you would pick. I recomed trying lots of them till you find the the pistol that when you pick it up you say "where have you been all my life?" that is the one for you.

Just think of all the fun you will have trying lots of pistols and unlike trying lots of women pistols can't lead to crotch crickets or child support.

Quad66
4th July 2011, 09:54 PM
I currently own a Glock 26, a Ruger SP101, and a Kel-tec PF9.

The next gun I buy will be a full sized semi-automatic pistol, equipped with a tactical light, and intended for home defense. (And TEOTWAWKI :o )

It will be chambered in 9mm, and most likely manufactured by Ruger, Glock, Smith & Wesson, or Springfield.

The single most important criterion for making my selection?

Ergonomics.

Each will have its quirks, and each will have its merits. Each will come with a legion of fanboys, and an army of detractors.

In the end, I’ll set all that aside, and simply buy the one that feels best in hand when I’m holding it, loading and unloading magazines, racking the slide, and above all, of course, when I'm shooting it.

Agrippa
5th July 2011, 03:56 AM
There is no jamming with a revolver.
Revolvers can indeed jam. I've probably shot hundreds of times as many rounds through auto-pistols (Glocks) as through revolvers, yet the only jams I've experienced were with the revolvers. If the cylinder wont rotate when you try to cock the gun, your revolver is jammed -- and you are out of business.

Heimdhal
5th July 2011, 07:45 AM
Revolvers are NOT ideal for home defense. People need to keep the revolver in its place.

Folks, you're looking at a time where home invasions are being perpetrated by very agressive, not easily intimidated and hardened crimimals. Its not always just one junkie or cat burglar breaking in any more, in many cases its multiple thugs, who are well armed and this isnt their first rodeo.

They arent scared cause you've got a gun, they arent always scared cause you've shot that gun. Please let go of the fantasy that all you have to do is rack the slide and theyll run away, or shoot the first guy and theyll turn tail. It just isnt the case as often anymore.

As ONE example, a Glock has no safties, there are no controls, there are no levers, all you do is load it (you still have to load a revolver) and pull the trigger. Many other semi auto's are like this, too. It also will hold between 10 and 33 rounds depending on the magazine.

Remember, if you find yourself NEEDING the gun, you are in a FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE, and so are the people you are shooting at. Its NOT the person that gets the first shot off that usualy wins, its the person that gets the first hit and if you're stuck reloading your super duper world ender .44 every 6 rounds, you're behind the 8 ball.

steyr_m
7th July 2011, 07:53 PM
Revolvers can indeed jam. I've probably shot hundreds of times as many rounds through auto-pistols (Glocks) as through revolvers, yet the only jams I've experienced were with the revolvers. If the cylinder wont rotate when you try to cock the gun, your revolver is jammed -- and you are out of business.

I never had my GP100 jam, but I've had my H&K USP jam

midnight rambler
8th July 2011, 03:13 AM
I never had my GP100 jam, but I've had my H&K USP jam

It jammed because it's a HK USP. Hello??

Many years ago, like back in the mid-80s, G&A magazine did a torture test with a S&W revolver and a Colt Govt. Model to look into the 'revolver vs. semi-auto pistol reliability' question. The torture test involved placing each handgun in a box of dirt and shaking it up real good. Guess which one was so FUBARed it required a gunsmith to disassemble it and clean it to fire again, and which one would still fire with a little coaxing? That's right, the Govt. Model.

Half Sense
8th July 2011, 06:29 AM
Luckily I keep my .357 in the nightstand and not in a box of dirt.

midnight rambler
8th July 2011, 11:25 AM
Luckily I keep my .357 in the nightstand and not in a box of dirt.

A good friend used to be on the Govenor's DPS security detail, years ago. It was a cush position for 90% of the guys on it, they did nothing other than show up, pretty much. A group of slackers. One day my buddy caught a glimpse of one of his fellow trooper's revolver under his suit coat. My buddy said, "Hey, let me clean that thing for you." And so that dirty ass revolver full of lint and dirt was handed over to my buddy for a cleaning. He said it was so bad that he literally had to beat the bullets out of it (and these were the nickel cases) with a wooden dowel. It required a full tear-down to get it cleaned up.

Point is, many people take revolvers for granted, as if nothing can go wrong with them, and the real deal is that revolvers are in need of more frequent care than say a Glock.

Awoke
19th July 2011, 10:08 AM
Buy a Glock.

You will not regret it.

If you doubt it, read this: 100,000 round torture test by Chuck Taylor (http://www.volny.cz/glock/html/tested.htm)

EE_
19th July 2011, 11:13 AM
I've owned quite a few revolvers and auto loaders

Favorite revolvers:
Colt Python 6" .357 Magnum, royal blue (70's best years)
Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum, 7 3/8" stainless
Smith & Wesson Model 60, 38 Special

Favorite auto's:
Colt 1911 .45 Government Model/Combat Commander
Beretta 92S 9mm (Italian made)
Glock 26
Glock 19
I've had all the pretty handguns but have since changed my view on what is the best tool to use.
That would be the simple design, reliability and durability of the Glock!

Book
19th July 2011, 11:54 AM
Glock 19

My most valued possession...lol.

:) with factory night sights

sirgonzo420
19th July 2011, 12:14 PM
Hear, hear to the glock comments.

I'm never too far from my glock 19.