PDA

View Full Version : My Time in the US Navy: 'Service' to Whom?

madfranks
3rd July 2011, 11:42 PM
This is a must-read, folks; everyone here should do themselves a favor and read this testimony of a Navy veteran who learned the truth about what he was doing during his service. It's very timely too, posted today on the 4th of July.

http://lewrockwell.com/orig12/fetz1.1.1.html

I never in my life would have thought that I would I enlist in the military. Sure, there are a great many reasons that people do enlist, some want money for college, others want a change of pace, yet others had dreamed of it since they were a kid. None of these reasons explains why I joined. In many ways it would dictate my fate.
I grew up in a middle-class Ohio town, went to college for a year, quickly realized that it just wasn’t for me, and began working for a records management service as a delivery/pickup driver pulling in about $27,000 a year. Sure, that isn’t much to some people, but it was pretty good back then for a 21-year-old with no education. I certainly didn’t love my job, but it paid the bills.
On September 11, 2001 all of that changed. I remember where I was when the planes hit, and I remember seeing those scenes of the towers falling, crying and hugging complete strangers in order to console each other in the devastation and horror that that event brought with it. It was at this time that I began talking to a Marine recruiter, but I had not yet made a commitment. When I lost my job that following January, I no longer had anything to prevent my choice. I called my father and told him about my plans. He agreed that it would probably be a good thing, but he had warned against joining the Marines, instead recommending that I join the Navy. That is just what I did.

Continued at link...

Serpo
4th July 2011, 07:02 AM
Great stuff.................

palani
4th July 2011, 07:18 AM
An E-5 with over 2 years service makes $2230.20 monthly. No wonder they require a Starbucks and video games. And the service does not even require they provide their own weapon or ammo (although they could afford it).

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

These guys are going to leave the service and expect something equivalent on the outside? THAT is going to be the real PTSD.

mamboni
4th July 2011, 07:20 AM
Outstanding read. Thanks for posting.

boogietillyapuke
4th July 2011, 07:27 AM
and if he worked an 8 hour day he'd be making 13.93@hr... but he worked 12 on, 12 off while deployed so it's more like 6.19 and hour.........just sayin'. :p