PDA

View Full Version : $100,000 in coins, silver taken from Dodge County home

madfranks
7th July 2011, 10:01 AM
All I can say is, if I had that much I'd make sure the safe was bolted to the floor or something. Having once been the victim of PM theft, I know what the guy feels like, but $100k is much worse than what happened to me.

Link Here (http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/20110707/FON0101/307070066/-100-000-coins-silver-taken-from-Dodge-County-home?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Cimg%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cp)

TOWN OF ASHIPPUN — Someone entered a town of Ashippun home on Monday and stole a safe containing about $60,000 cash and $40,000 in silver coins and bars, according to the Dodge County Sheriff's Department log.Chief Deputy Blaine Lauersdorf confirmed the Sheriff's Department is investigating the alleged crime reported at a home at N807 Oak Ridge Drive.
The Neosho-Rubicon-Ashippun (NRA) Police Department turned the investigation over to the Sheriff's Department.
"It is still under investigation. We are working on some leads," Lauersdorf said. "Until we determine whether those are worthwhile leads or not, we would like to investigate it first and comment on it after that. … Basically, we got someone reporting a considerable amount of money and property stolen."
The theft was reported at about 2:45 p.m. Monday, according to the Sheriff's Department log.
Lauersdorf said he could not comment on why someone would have so much money and silver inside their home.
A call by The Reporter to the Ashippun home was not returned.
Lauersdorf said there have been no reports of damage to the home or force used to gain entry.
Anyone with information about the crime should contact the Sheriff's Department at (920) 386-3726.

General of Darkness
7th July 2011, 10:21 AM
I bet it's an inside job.

willie pete
7th July 2011, 10:41 AM
I bet it's an inside job.

that's the first thing I thought, maybe an insurance scam? ...if not, then it was someone close that knew it was there....should've concealed a lo-jack in the safe...huh?

steyr_m
7th July 2011, 11:34 AM
...if not, then it was someone close that knew it was there....

That's why I don't tell anyone I save PM's. OK, maybe my Mom....

Awoke
7th July 2011, 12:50 PM
That's why I don't tell anyone I save PM's. OK, maybe my Mom....

I can't remember where I heard this quote, but it was funny at the time. Something like:

"I don't trust anyone in this world except my Mother, and I'm not so sure about her..."

Serpo
7th July 2011, 03:44 PM
All I can say is, if I had that much I'd make sure the safe was bolted to the floor or something. Having once been the victim of PM theft, I know what the guy feels like, but $100k is much worse than what happened to me.

Link Here (http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/20110707/FON0101/307070066/-100-000-coins-silver-taken-from-Dodge-County-home?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Cimg%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cp)

Yes bolts certainly help...................

Uncle Salty
7th July 2011, 04:05 PM
Bummer....

Uncle Salty
7th July 2011, 04:07 PM
As much as I love silver, this is a good reason to own gold. Gold is easier to hide in plain sight. You can put $40,000 of gold in a small space that doesn't require a safe. Also, when TSHTF, it is much easier to travel with $40,000 in gold than silver.

I would provide some great hiding tips, but I don't want to blow my own cover.