PDA

View Full Version : 5 Must-Have Shooting Accessories

Dogman
7th July 2011, 12:09 PM
The brands shown here are good, but other's can be better or worse. Posting for info only.

by Greg Rodriguez • June 28, 2011

I get to see and test an incredible variety of shooting accessories. They aren’t all as great as they’re hyped up to be, but I run across a few gems every year. None of the products in this list are new. In fact, I’ve been using some of them for years. They have become indispensable because they’re essential to my success, comfort, or efficiency on the range. When you shoot for a living, those qualities mean an awful lot. By the way, the rifle shown is by GA Precision.

Eagle Industries Shooter’s Stock Pack
Edgewood Rear Rest
Warne Torque Wrench
The Gun Tool
Sinclair Gen. II All-Purpose Windage Rest

http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2011/06/15.jpg (http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2011/06/15.jpg)

These five shooting accessories make the author’s life a lot easier.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/06/28/5-must-have-shooting-accessories/

SWRichmond
11th July 2011, 07:02 AM
Sorry for my blunt reply.

Does the author plan to carry the tripod around with him when he goes afield with his $4,000.00 GAP tacticool rifle with awesome paintjob?

Same question regarding the rear bag.

Can the author hit anything without his mechanical rests, or does the author only shoot "bench rest prone?"

Does the author ever shoot positions (sitting, kneeling, offhand), just in case the deer sized targets do not present themselves while he is prone?

Laying behind a rifle and pressing the trigger after using mechanical rests to carefully align it with the target can only in the purest sense be called "shooting." It has no practical aspect to it whatsoever. You might as well learn any other useless entertainment-only "skill," like golf or tiddly winks.

Make no mistake: I love bench rest shooters, they push the envelope and make improvements available to the rest of us. But there is nothing practical about it. You will not learn good trigger skills touching a 4 ounce trigger, nor will you learn anything about position or natural point of aim.

Why did the author buy a tacticool rifle to shoot bench rest prone? Is he lying to himself about his abilities with the rifle? I think he quite possibly is.

Dogman
11th July 2011, 07:27 AM
In the shooting sports, rests and bags are very common, and not confined to bench rest. Long range varmint shooting, Open F-class competition, best way to really zero a rifle and to test hand loads is to eliminate as many variables as possible (human) to find out what really is going on. Etc, etc.

And many will disagree with you about your statement of not learning about "trigger control", and breathing, waiting for the between heart beat to squeeze off the shot. Only newbies do that! And they will quickly learn from other shooters on the range that will go out of their way to help them improve their shooting skills. Or that is the way it is done here in my part of the world.

steyr_m
11th July 2011, 07:28 AM
Does the author plan to carry the tripod around with him when he goes afield with his $4,000.00 GAP tacticool rifle with awesome paintjob?

I feel the same. I'd want a bi-pod in front and a mono-pod at the rear...

SWRichmond
11th July 2011, 08:02 AM
In the shooting sports, rests and bags are very common, and not confined to bench rest. Long range varmint shooting, Open F-class competition, best way to really zero a rifle and to test hand loads is to eliminate as many variables as possible (human) to find out what really is going on. Etc, etc.

And many will disagree with you about your statement of not learning about "trigger control", and breathing, waiting for the between heart beat to squeeze off the shot. Only newbies do that! And they will quickly learn from other shooters on the range that will go out of their way to help them improve their shooting skills. Or that is the way it is done here in my part of the world.

I know that's how most people do it. It's easier that way and leads to more brags about group size. I get it. The first video I ever watched of some guys shooting steel at 500 yards I thought "Wow!" and then the guy rolled off the rifle and I saw it was completely supported. All he did was put a bit of shoulder behind the rifle and touch the trigger. Big whooop.

If that guy ever had to rapidly engage multiple targets at significantly varying angles and ranges, he'd be useless.

If I can figure out a way to get the deer-sized targets to file past me while I am either comfortably seated at a bench, or after I have had time to prepare my prone position and get my tripod and bag right, and be certain I'll never have to shoot over anything or around anything that requires me to be off the ground, or shoot from less-than-perfect terrain, then I will start shooting that way.

P.S. it is NOT the best way to really zero a rifle unless you are going to shoot it that way all the time, which I agree most people do so go ahead. It is arguably the best way to measure group size, but it also requires one to defer practical practice for impractical bench rest style shooting. Bottom line: if you can't shoot decent (sub-MOA or even half-MOA) groups except when you use a front and rear support, you suck.

Dogman
11th July 2011, 08:17 AM
I agree with you , but not all are into tactical shooting, also the older you get, the more appreciated the rests become. Not all shooters are preppers so tactical defense, never crosses their minds. Just like people that like to shoot hi power rifles do not attend or shoot matches like nra hi power service rifle across the coarse. I have for years and now my bones and eyes are telling me to stop and change directions. F-Class open is starting to look very good to me. ;D

It is all a personal matter of choice, of shooting style's and disciplines.