PDA

View Full Version : Holsters for subcompact Glocks

iOWNme
9th July 2011, 07:07 AM
I am hoping someone here as a good knowledge of holsters for Glocks. I am looking for a hip/belt holster, and a shoulder style holster.

Right now i only have the inside the pants clip on belt style holsters. I actually like the one because in clips in my pants/shorts and allows me to keep it in pocket. It only shows a clip from the exterior, like a beeper or cell phone.

A lot of the less expensive shoulder holsters seem a bit hokey. I dont mind spending a bit more for comfort and feel. The cheaper ones i tried on at my local gun shop felt horrible.

Any help would be appreciated!

madfranks
9th July 2011, 07:09 AM
Waiting for Heimdhal to check in, he's an expert at holsters, in fact he makes them!

osoab
9th July 2011, 10:01 AM
Just ordered a couple from Heimdhal.

Heimdhal
9th July 2011, 10:23 AM
Hey Sui,

I see my name was mentioned, it was like the bat signal, some one said "Heimdhal" "Holsters" and "Glock" and my spidey sense went off.

As far as a nice outside the waist band, its hard to beat a safari land. Stay away from Serpa with the push button release (like the one guy had in the "i shot my self" video). Blackhawk paddle holsters have a bad rap too, but I've never used em.

If you are looking for cheap, economical "I Just need to carry this thing around for an hour or two" Uncle Mikes work, but they arent very comfortable for long periods.

I make holsters as well, but am more geared towards IWB concealed holsters. I make OWB pancake hybrids as well, but on a limited basis for right now.

I cant give you much advice on shoulder holsters mostly because I dont EVER use them and dont like them that much. They can go either way on comfort, it kinda depends on your anatomy. I dont like them because they have rather limited and awkward access unless you're open carrying. But putting a shirt over it, button up or T-shirt, you've just doubled if not trippled the amount of time it takes to draw, as well as the contorted positions you must assume to do so and you chance sweeping yourself with the muzzle about 10 times more.

These are just my .02, hope it helps!

iOWNme
9th July 2011, 11:09 AM
Hey Sui,

I see my name was mentioned, it was like the bat signal, some one said "Heimdhal" "Holsters" and "Glock" and my spidey sense went off.

As far as a nice outside the waist band, its hard to beat a safari land. Stay away from Serpa with the push button release (like the one guy had in the "i shot my self" video). Blackhawk paddle holsters have a bad rap too, but I've never used em.

If you are looking for cheap, economical "I Just need to carry this thing around for an hour or two" Uncle Mikes work, but they arent very comfortable for long periods.

I make holsters as well, but am more geared towards IWB concealed holsters. I make OWB pancake hybrids as well, but on a limited basis for right now.

I cant give you much advice on shoulder holsters mostly because I dont EVER use them and dont like them that much. They can go either way on comfort, it kinda depends on your anatomy. I dont like them because they have rather limited and awkward access unless you're open carrying. But putting a shirt over it, button up or T-shirt, you've just doubled if not trippled the amount of time it takes to draw, as well as the contorted positions you must assume to do so and you chance sweeping yourself with the muzzle about 10 times more.

These are just my .02, hope it helps!

Thanks so much!

I will check out the Safari. ALso the uncle Mikes, just to see it.

As far as the shoulder holster it would be for open carry. I just want to have options as far as comfort, ride, etc. Its hard for me to spend a ton of money on a shoulder holster without trying it on, or some type of review at least.

Can i check out your holsters online? I would like to check them out to get an idea of what someone experienced would build.

Thanks again,

madfranks
9th July 2011, 01:06 PM

I have a shoulder holster and personally I find it the most comfortable of all my holsters. I can't wear it during the summer because I wouldn't wear it under a shirt, but during the cooler months when I'm wearing a jacket it's perfect to wear underneath the jacket. The negative about the shoulder holster is that if you carry chambered you're constantly sweeping everyone around you, unless you buy those special shoulder holsters that point the gun down. When carrying in the shoulder holster, I don't keep a round chambered because I believe if I ever found myself in a position where I needed to use it, I could chamber it quickly enough.

Traditional waistband holsters I find to be uncomfortable, especially when sitting down I can always feel the bulge of the gun. I also have a cheap ankle holster for my smaller Ruger LCP, but I hardly ever wear it simply because it's out of reach and quite awkward to access.

Heimdhal
9th July 2011, 04:30 PM
" I don't keep a round chambered because I believe if I ever found myself in a position where I needed to use it, I could chamber it quickly enough."

.................................................. ...................... really......................................?