PDA

View Full Version : Portland Cop Shoots Man 3 Times With Shotgun; Thought It Was A ‘Beanbag’ Gun, Says ‘S

Ponce
11th July 2011, 10:16 AM
Portland Cop Shoots Man 3 Times With Shotgun; Thought It Was A ‘Beanbag’ Gun, Says ‘Sorry’.

July 11, 2011 by POPEYE
Filed under Featured Stories, Police Brutality & Abuse Of Power

(The Oregonian) A lawyer for a 20-year-old Bremerton, Wash., man wounded by live rounds from what was supposed to be a Portland police beanbag shotgun says his client likely will suffer some permanent damage.

The Oregonian says William Kyle Monroe remains hospitalized in good condition, recovering from at least three separate wounds.

Lawyer Thane Tienson said Friday that one blast hit Monroe’s right buttocks, shattering his pelvis and puncturing his bladder and colon.

Tienson says Monroe required surgery and appears to have permanent damage to his sciatic nerve on the left side. The lawyer says that will likely lead to a permanent loss of mobility.

Police Chief Mike Reese and Mayor Sam Adams have called the June 30 shooting by Officer Dane Reister a tragic mistake due to human error. They publicly apologized to Monroe.

Police say Reister fired after officers issued unspecified commands to Monroe.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/lawyer-injured-man-may-have-permanent-damage/a3e34b3978794d59885c9023bfad5ac5

mick silver
11th July 2011, 10:20 AM
what would happen if i shot someone in error .... that right theres two sets of laws ... one for them and one for me

midnight rambler
11th July 2011, 10:26 AM
http://pro-patria.us/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/LessLethalAimpro.247181456_std.jpg

Beanbag guns are very clearly marked and in some hi-visibility color. Seems to be more and more of those "oops, we made a mistake" bullshit going on. I mean really, how does a cop claim to have gone for his Taser when he shoots someone execution style??

freespirit
11th July 2011, 10:29 AM
here in canada, we call them "hunting accidents" lol

Spectrism
11th July 2011, 10:52 AM
what would happen if i shot someone in error .... that right theres two sets of laws ... one for them and one for me

Shoot a cop and say it was just a mistake... sorry. Let by-gones be by-gones. Give me a paid leave so that I can get over the trauma of having shot a cop. Yeah... sure.

madfranks
11th July 2011, 11:09 AM
The guy took three shotgun blasts and survived? Holy moly!

madfranks
11th July 2011, 11:12 AM
Police say Reister fired after officers issued unspecified commands to Monroe.

Let me see if I can re-create this in my mind. So some officers issued unspecified commands to the victim, and it's reasonably logical to assume that if the cops themselves don't know what commands they issued, that the victim probably didn't either. So he continues on his way when the cop levels a shotgun at him and blasts three rounds into his ass. Then the cop realizes it's a real gun and not a bean bag gun, and says sorry. W T F!

And mick silver is correct, anyone not holding a badge would be in jail right now for that.

Joe King
11th July 2011, 11:26 AM
That's what I thought too, at first. I was picturing 3 direct shotgun blasts, and wondering how anyone could survive.
But he supposedly got hit with 5 pellets. Although they would still hurt and can cause damage, it's not what it first read like.

Here's a link with a video that tells a little more.
Supposedly they responded to a 911 call about a guy harrassing children in a park, and he was running away from the scene when shot.

What exactly the guy had been doing, I have no idea.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-27347-federal_investigators_mum_on_thursdays_portland_po lice_shooting_(updated).html

Joe King
11th July 2011, 11:39 AM
Beanbag guns are very clearly marked and in some hi-visibility color. Seems to be more and more of those "oops, we made a mistake" bullshit going on. I mean really, how does a cop claim to have gone for his Taser when he shoots someone execution style??Supposedly he used the "right" gun, but it had somehow been loaded with actual shotgun shells as opposed to beanbag rounds.

Y'know, I'd think it would only be smart for the bean bag gun to be a different caliber, thereby eliminating the possibility of something like this happening at all.

willie pete
11th July 2011, 11:50 AM
Eh...doesn't matter...the cops cover for one another ..plus they have immunity

Joe King
11th July 2011, 12:09 PM
Eh...doesn't matter...the cops cover for one another ..plus they have immunity

Oh yea, they will cover for each other. No doubt. But that doesn't mean that everything any of them do is always done with malice.
...and the guy was running away after being asked to stop. Got shot in the a$$, afterall.

Most normal people only bolt in an attempt to get away after having done something they know wasn't the right thing to do.

As I said, what he was actually doing I have no idea. But it must have been something to cause someone enough concern to call the police. All I know is that it supposedly involved him interacting with children in a park.

I don't know about you, but I'm smart enough to refrain from trying to interact with strangers children in a city park.

Awoke
11th July 2011, 12:18 PM
He might have been some pedo douche for all we know. Maybe he was a danger to the kids.

Seems strange to me that the NWO pigs would start blasting off a shotgun in a park filled with kids, beanbag or not.

Joe King
11th July 2011, 12:31 PM
He might have been some pedo douche for all we know. Maybe he was a danger to the kids.

Seems strange to me that the NWO pigs would start blasting off a shotgun in a park filled with kids, beanbag or not.The guy was attempting to flee, but there was no indication he had committed an offense that would justify the use of lethal force, and he was too far away to use a stun gun.

Perhaps the cop was too fat to give chase? I dunno. lol

As far as him being a danger to the kids, at least one of the people to call knew that he had a knife. So what exactly he was up to, who knows. But I think I can safely say that based on what I've read about this that it doesn't sound as though he was being too smart about whatever it was he had been doing.

Here's a better account that includes witness statements.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/07/man_shot_by_portland_officer_w.html

After reading that, I'd have to say the cop was probably a bit over-zealous in going for the beanbag gun just because he wouldn't sit down for him when asked to.
Sounds like there could have been better thinking done by all parties involved.

willie pete
11th July 2011, 12:56 PM
not to derail the thread just to give another example; like I've said, it was told to me by a CHP Sgt., IF you run or don't stop when you're told to by a cop....it's "Open Season" on your ass, you will get an ass-beating, and Probably worst...he elluded to it's like an "unwritten cop policy"...and when you run or fail to stop, whatever happens to you IS covered...case in point
↓ ↓ ↓

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9llvTQn8v-c

madfranks
11th July 2011, 01:57 PM

Seems strange to me that the NWO pigs would start blasting off a shotgun in a park filled with kids, beanbag or not.

Especially when one of their prime arguments for shooting inhabitants during a swat raid is to make sure that the inhabitants can't hurt innocent bystanders.

Joe King
11th July 2011, 03:15 PM
Apparently the shooting didn't happen in the park, but just South of the location marked on this map. The park where the guy was interacting in some manner with the kids that resulted in the 911 calls being made was in Lair Park, .33 of mile to the NW of that location. {a 5 minute walk away}

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=SW+Naito+Pky+Frontage+Rd+%26+SW+Pennoyer+St,+Por tland,+Multnomah,+Oregon+97239&aq=&vps=1&jsv=353b&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=56.768363,79.277344&ie=UTF8&ct=clnk&cd=1&geocode=FdA7tgIdExWw-A&split=0

Gaillo
11th July 2011, 03:19 PM

Yet MORE proof that small arms are an iffy proposition at best. It's ALL about shot placement, I don't care how badass you think your gun is!

Spectrism
11th July 2011, 03:35 PM
He wouldn't survive in a SHTF scenario. Those wounds would have zombie-ized in a day. Punctured colon and bladder. Shattered pelvis. Hmmmm... dead in two days.

midnight rambler
11th July 2011, 04:15 PM
Yet MORE proof that small arms are an iffy proposition at best. It's ALL about shot placement, I don't care how badass you think your gun is!

Don't kid yourself, as Spectrism pointed out those wounds could easily be fatal.

As for small arms being 'iffy', more people have been killed with a .22 rimfire than you can imagine. Don't ever discount a 12 ga. round intended for large game. For an up close and personal tactical situation I would go with a hi-cap 12 ga. before I would grab the EBR.

Gaillo
11th July 2011, 04:57 PM
Don't kid yourself, as Spectrism pointed out those wounds could easily be fatal.

As for small arms being 'iffy', more people have been killed with a .22 rimfire than you can imagine. Don't ever discount a 12 ga. round intended for large game. For an up close and personal tactical situation I would go with a hi-cap 12 ga. before I would grab the EBR.

I agree with you 100% - the shotgun is a TERRIBLE weapon, extremely lethal. I keep mine by the bedside as my "go to weapon of choice" when things go bump in the night - at least I did before I lost all my weapons in a terrible BBQ'ing accident! ;D

The point of my OP is that ANY small arm can fail you if you don't do your part and PUT THE SHOTS WHERE IT WILL COUNT... I've read reports of people unloading entire magazines, hitting the target over 7 times, and still dying in a fist fight afterward by the person they intended to kill. I read one report where a guy took 5 .45ACP rounds to the back, made it to the hospital, and survived. All I'm saying is don't kid YOURSELF... NOTHING beats proper shot placement when using a small arm. Small arms can give you a false sense of security, the only TRUE security comes from training, training, more training, and ultimately a bit of luck when all is said and done.

Veni, vidi...evigilavi!
11th July 2011, 05:07 PM
I wonder if it's this kid....?
http://www.myspace.com/bballer_monroe/

Whomever it is, it's sad to hear something like this happens to someone at such young age, but then again at that age many ppl do alot of stupid things....so he paid the price I guess...damn.

Funny no one visits their own myspace anymore.

Hatha Sunahara
11th July 2011, 06:10 PM
Portland cops are trigger happy. They have regular one-way shootouts with all sorts of stupid people. When it costs you nothing, human life is pretty cheap.

Hatha

Twisted Titan
11th July 2011, 07:22 PM
one blast hit Monroe’s right buttocks, shattering his pelvis and puncturing his bladder and colon.

THAT KID IS GOING TO BE A FREAK OF NATURE FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE

PISSING IN A BAG
WALKING WITH A LIMP
HORRIBLE DISFIGUREMENT

Son-of-Liberty
12th July 2011, 07:04 AM
Portland Cop Shoots Man 3 Times With Shotgun; Thought It Was A ‘Beanbag’ Gun, Says ‘Sorry’.

July 11, 2011 by POPEYE
Filed under Featured Stories, Police Brutality & Abuse Of Power

(The Oregonian) A lawyer for a 20-year-old Bremerton, Wash., man wounded by live rounds from what was supposed to be a Portland police beanbag shotgun says his client likely will suffer some permanent damage.

Lawyer Thane Tienson said Friday that one blast hit Monroe’s right buttocks, shattering his pelvis and puncturing his bladder and colon.

I like how they composed the article. First line makes it sound like he wasn't hurt to badly. That he might have permanent damage. Sets the tone for the article.

Then we find out a little later that he had a punctured bladder, colon and shatered pelvis. Like you can sustain those injuries and not have permanent damage? WTF