PDA

View Full Version : Meet America's 51st (Broke) State

Ares
11th July 2011, 06:15 PM
It is only fitting that a few days after South Sudan became the newest independent country to join the roster of IMF and World Bank "modernization and industrialization" targets, another Southern version of something should break apart, although some may be surprised that this latest secession is not somewhere in the middle of Africa, but in America's own insolvent back yard. Meet Southern California. "Accusing Sacramento of pillaging local governments to feed its runaway spending and left-wing policies, a Riverside County politician is proposing a solution: He wants 13 mostly inland, conservative counties to break away to form a separate state of "South California.'' Supervisor Jeff Stone, a Republican pharmacist from Temecula, called California an "ungovernable'' financial catastrophe from which businesses are fleeing and where taxpayers are being crushed by the burden of caring for welfare recipients and illegal immigrants." Ah yes, the heart of prosperity that is the Inland Empire, known for such great achievements as Hell's Angels, the most ridiculous excesses of the housing bubble, Del Taco, and... that's pretty much it. This sounds like yet another Swiss Watch plan.

This is what the 51st state would look like:

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/draghi/South%20Cali.gif

From SF Gate:

CBS Los Angeles reports:

"Stone said in a statement late Thursday that Riverside, Imperial, San Diego, Orange, San Bernardino, Kings, Kern, Fresno, Tulare, Inyo, Madera, Mariposa and Mono counties should form the new state of South California."

The new state would therefore encompass almost half of California's landmass, leaving out the strip of Southern California counties along the coast including Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara counties.

This is not the first time California has dealt with plans for secession, but until now most of the proposals have come from the rural counties of northern California where counties have tended to get left behind with state funding.

In fact, in 1941, a campaign to create the new state of Jefferson from several counties in northern California and southern Oregon was on the brink of success. The counties, frustrated from their lack of adequate roads and funding put together the movement, and Jefferson looked to be on track to be the 49th state (Alaska and Hawaii weren't on board yet).

By December, a "Proclamation of Independence" had been circulated and the residents had even elected a governor. But, on the week the Jefferson statehood movement was to make its national debut, the attacks at Pearl Harbor quashed all plans as residents went to work for the war effort.

Since then, every few years these and other northern counties have mounted several more secession attempts, but none have come quite so close to success as the Jefferson movement.

LA Times adds:

A spokesman for Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, called Stone's proposal a laughable political stunt, saying the Riverside County supervisors should be more concerned about closing that county's expected $130-million revenue shortfall in the next budget year and possible cutbacks to public safety.

"It's a supremely ridiculous waste of everybody's time," said spokesman Gil Duran. "If you want to live in a Republican state with very conservative right-wing laws, then there's a place called Arizona.''

Then again, all politicians do is focus on supremely ridiculous things that are wastes of everybody's time.

But, yes, this will make a great diversion for the country over the next week while the world burns. Unless, of course, Osama is killed for third or fourth time.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/meet-americas-51st-broke-state

General of Darkness
11th July 2011, 06:18 PM
The problem with the map is that Northern California could completely hold Kern County etc hostage by keeping water, LIFE, from their crops.

palani
11th July 2011, 06:28 PM
Yep. Byzantiam watershed empires. Worked millenium ago. Will work now.

Glass
11th July 2011, 06:31 PM
Do any of these counties border with Texas? Don't no my US geography very well.

Dogman
11th July 2011, 06:46 PM
Do any of these counties border with Texas? Don't no my US geography very well.

Not only no, but HELL NO! Wouldn't have them! ;D

mrnhtbr2232
11th July 2011, 06:50 PM
The correct split would be the counties along the coast become one state and the rest of the state becomes another. I predict no matter how close Supervisor Jeff Stone may (or may not) get with his idea it will never see the light of day for the same reason election maps here reflect the majority of counties vote conservative but are overridden by population centers that don't. In fact, California outside of the Bay Area, LA, San Diego, and Sacramento is almost entirely conservative. But the usual suspects are entrenched in the halls of power and out here they have a stranglehold on bureaucratic largess at the expense of our conservative minority.

General of Darkness
11th July 2011, 06:51 PM

That's cold Dogman. There's still a lot of good people left in California, and we're not leaving, we're holding our ground. FYI - I hear there's a ton of CA plates driving in TX, most likely our unemployeed liberals that caused this mess looking for work. Hopefully you'll welcome them with open arms. :)

JJ.G0ldD0t
11th July 2011, 06:51 PM

yeah.. we have about a 500 mile buffer w/ Cali via New Mexico and Arizona.
And we don't need anymore desert right now :/

JJ.G0ldD0t
11th July 2011, 06:52 PM
That's cold Dogman. There's still a lot of good people left in California, and we're not leaving, we're holding our ground. FYI - I hear there's a ton of CA plates driving in TX, most likely our unemployeed liberals that caused this mess looking for work. Hopefully you'll welcome them with open arms. :)
fuck Gen... just move here man... I can hook you up

call the libs back tho will ya?

Dogman
11th July 2011, 06:58 PM

Way I look at it if you have to cross, any river to get here, and especially in state ,that makes you a wet back. What ever the direction traveled. ;D

And we have more liberals than we need in Austin anyway! Come visit, spend money and then go home!

mrnhtbr2232
11th July 2011, 07:31 PM

Right on GoD. My family has been here since 1851 and I see no reason to break the trend. Just as you say - some of us are standing our ground and have no lost love for the carpetbaggers that got us into this mess.

steyr_m
11th July 2011, 09:23 PM
When I read the title of the post, I thought it was going to be Puerto Rico. That's another 3rd World shit-hole that's actually the US.....

palani
12th July 2011, 04:19 AM
When I read the title of the post, I thought it was going to be Puerto Rico. That's another 3rd World shit-hole that's actually the US.....

Ever visited Puerto Rico?

steyr_m
12th July 2011, 07:25 AM
Ever visited Puerto Rico?

I used to live there.

Horn
12th July 2011, 07:42 AM
If that Southern section was created, you would see tons of isolated Aliens in California.

palani
12th July 2011, 12:20 PM
I used to live there.

La Perla can be quite interesting. La Princessa prison less so.