PDA

View Full Version : Urban hog hunting: Public land around for those willing to look

Dogman
14th July 2011, 03:06 PM
Wednesday, 06 July 2011 13:26 Conor Harrison

http://www.lsonews.com/images/stories/hunting/WEB_Piggies_cromped.jpg

THERE THEY GO: Hogs are abundant close to major metropolitan areas in Texas. With a little research, hunters have great opportunities for year-round hunting close to home. Photo by Nick Conklin, LSON.

The group of hogs bolted from cover; six, seven, eight and then a mess of little black piglets. The two bowhunters and their photographer watched as the hogs passed over a hill 60 yards in front of them.

After a quick run to close the gap to 30 yards, two arrows were eventually released, but both missed their marks.

After a quick laugh and rest to get the heart rate back to normal, the group headed to their vehicles and to their Dallas office — 30 minutes away.
Hog hunting opportunities close to urban areas abound, especially bowhunters, willing to look for them.

This particular hunt described above took place near Grapevine Lake, on property managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

In June 3, the Corps office there started giving out general hunting tags for hogs, squirrels, rabbits and coyotes. Doves can also be hunted in the fall with a general tag.

The office has an allotment of 800 general hunting tags. Lotteries to hunt deer in the fall and trap hogs this summer are also are available at the Grapevine Corps office.

Colleyville resident John Pennington received his tags at the office one morning in early June.

“I haven’t hunted this property in years,” Pennington said. “It used to be good because there wasn’t too many people out here. It’s a great opportunity for the ‘everyman.’

“I can’t afford a lease, so these opportunities are great. I love to hunt squirrels, and I might get to hunt a hog, too.”

The drawback could be in the terrain. Much of the property around Grapevine is just plain hard to hunt. Thick vegetation along the main trails makes spotting game tough.

The aforementioned hunters also encountered other outdoor enthusiasts — a cross-country runner and mountain biker, who certainly have as much right as the hunters do to enjoy nature.

All parties were respectful of each other and the morning was a success, even though no hogs hit the ground.

For information, contact the nearest U.S. Army Corps of Engineers office.
http://www.lsonews.com/hunting-news/1682-urban-hog-hunting-public-land-around-for-those-willing-to-look

mightymanx
14th July 2011, 03:25 PM
I hunt often but I don't hunt for sport, I don't really get it either, and wild hogs taste like crap.

On GIM there was a guy that used to capture feed them for 30 days to clean up the taste and then eat them.

But I don't live anywhere near hog country and don't plan to so I never looked into it.

Dogman
14th July 2011, 03:30 PM
I hunt often but I don't hunt for sport, I don't really get it either, and wild hogs taste like crap.

On GIM there was a guy that used to capture feed them for 30 days to clean up the taste and then eat them.

But I don't live anywhere near hog country and don't plan to so I never looked into it.

I do hunt for varmints, and pests. But I do not kill just for killings sake, If it is good to eat it goes on the table.

These dam critters are the creatures from hell, here if you take the young ones , not so bad. They are everywhere in my area,