PDA

View Full Version : Hide your face

osoab
17th July 2011, 07:15 AM
Amid Privacy Fears, Police Across the Nation Will Roll Out Face-Recognizing iPhone Tech This Year (http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-07/amid-privacy-fears-police-across-nation-will-roll-out-face-recognizing-iphone-tech-year)

A controversial piece of facial recognition technology (and a PopSci “Best of What’s New 2010” alum (http://www.popsci.com/bown/2010/product/b12-technologies-moris)) is rolling out (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303678704576440253307985070.html) in police stations across the country this fall, and naturally not everyone is happy about it. The Mobile Offender Recognition and Identification System (MORIS) uses an augmented iPhone to snap pictures of faces, scan fingerprints, and even to image irises, and then combs through police databases looking for matching identities. This, understandably, has privacy and civil liberties advocates crying foul.

The MORIS device (http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-06/police-get-facial-recognition-iphone-app-id-perps-field) attaches to the back of an iPhone, adding roughly 1.75 inches to the thickness of the smartphone. Police officers armed with the tool can take a photo of a person’s face from about five feet away, or scan his or her iris from about six inches, and wirelessly beam that data to law enforcement databases elsewhere to look for a match. It can also perform remote fingerprint matching.

Similar biometric technology has been deployed by the U.S. military in places like Iraq and Afghanistan to confirm the identities of civilians entering military safe zones and to search for known insurgents at checkpoints. But rolling it out in the streets of the U.S. has plenty of people concerned with privacy and Constitutional issues.

The technology lives in a somewhat gray area of the law. It’s generally permissible to take a photo of anyone in a public space, but when a law enforcement agent does so--and especially when he or she then cross references it against a criminal database--that could constitute a search, and therefore should require a warrant.

It’s another one of those situations where technology has simply outpaced the law ( you would think Ben Franklin of all people would’ve seen mobile facial recognition software coming). So while it would be nice to turn to legal precedent here, there simply is none.

Nonetheless, BI2 has deals with about 40 agencies nationwide to deliver about 1,000 of the devices starting in September. From a law enforcement standpoint, police officers seem to like it. It’s a technology that lets them get to the bottom of a situation quickly. Moreover, in the technology’s defense, it’s tough to use MORIS to abuse a person’s rights if an officer is not already in the process of abusing them.

In an interview with BI2’s chief executive Sean Mullin last year, he told PopSci that the responses of privacy groups and civil liberties advocates are entirely appropriate, but that he thinks the technology passes legal muster. The facial recognition technology requires a frontal facial image taken from close proximity, he says--in other words, it requires consent. Iris scans are practically impossible without the subject’s cooperation, as are fingerprint scans. Besides, the alternative when a police officer can’t confirm a suspect’s identity is generally a trip downtown to sort it out. MORIS simplifies that process.

Whether or not that’s enough to satisfy the privacy rights crowd--and the law--remains to be seen. How this kind of technology is treated by the law now will set the precedent for when the technology becomes more robust--and perhaps more long-range, more surreptitious, and potentially more “Big Brother.”
http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/OB-OS273_0713fa_G_20110713091159.jpeg

With this and the device to scan your cell phone, maybe small scale emp's are called for.

General of Darkness
17th July 2011, 07:30 AM
Well with so many jews as judges they'll completely disregard the Constitution and WILL make it legal. :(

mrnhtbr2232
17th July 2011, 07:40 AM
Well with so many jews as judges they'll completely disregard the Constitution and WILL make it legal. :(

And within your quote is the very oxymoron that got us to this point - the law is interpreted not followed. Judicial fiat remains the ultimate obstacle to justice.

Son-of-Liberty
17th July 2011, 08:22 AM
With this and the device to scan your cell phone, maybe small scale emp's are called for.

Chapter 25

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Gadgets-Genius-Build---Yourself/dp/0071426094/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310912745&sr=1-9

Son-of-Liberty
17th July 2011, 08:32 AM
In an interview with BI2’s chief executive Sean Mullin last year, he told PopSci that the responses of privacy groups and civil liberties advocates are entirely appropriate, but that he thinks the technology passes legal muster. The facial recognition technology requires a frontal facial image taken from close proximity, he says--in other words, it requires consent. Iris scans are practically impossible without the subject’s cooperation, as are fingerprint scans. Besides, the alternative when a police officer can’t confirm a suspect’s identity is generally a trip downtown to sort it out. MORIS simplifies that process.

So let me get this straight even if you are minding your own business and haven't committed a crime if you have no ID on you they can take a picture of your face and link it with their database find your drivers license or whatever and then they will be able to assume joinder between you and the strawman even if you are not operating in that capacity?

That is the real danger I see from this tech.

I heard of one guy traveling with no license/registration, they didn't know who he was, hauled him down to the station went through his cell phone numbers called his parents who confirmed he was their strawman and then charged him with driving without a license, registration and insurance. Now they don't even have to use dirty tricks like that.

Joe King
17th July 2011, 12:35 PM
So let me get this straight even if you are minding your own business and haven't committed a crime if you have no ID on you they can take a picture of your face and link it with their database find your drivers license or whatever and then they will be able to assume joinder between you and the strawman even if you are not operating in that capacity?

That is the real danger I see from this tech.

I heard of one guy traveling with no license/registration, they didn't know who he was, hauled him down to the station went through his cell phone numbers called his parents who confirmed he was their strawman and then charged him with driving without a license, registration and insurance. Now they don't even have to use dirty tricks like that.

Per my understanding, once created, you are the "strawman".

If you don't want to be one, don't create one in the first place.

It's all done by consent.

Hatha Sunahara
17th July 2011, 12:57 PM
This is a great example of what I call 'The Totalitarian Principle'.

Murphy's Law is 'When anything can go wrong, it will.'

The Peter Principle is 'People will rise to a level just above their competence'.

The Totalitarian Principle is 'When government finds a technology they can use to control you, they will.'

Hatha

vacuum
17th July 2011, 01:33 PM
A controversial piece of facial recognition technology (and a PopSci “Best of What’s New 2010” alum) is rolling out in police stations across the country this fall, and naturally not everyone is happy about it. The Mobile Offender Recognition and Identification System (MORIS) uses an augmented iPhone to snap pictures of faces, scan fingerprints, and even to image irises, and then combs through police databases looking for matching identities.
What they didn't mention is they'll use it anyway even if you have an ID and add your biometric data to their database if it isn't there when they pull up your info.

palani
17th July 2011, 01:47 PM
Proper ID is necessary to make sure they know for whom the check is intended.

EE_
17th July 2011, 03:21 PM
Technology has been the best and worst invention for mankind. It's technology that will destroy us.

Most people think if we can get one good guy in government we can begin to fix everything and go back to normal...
What do these people think we can go back to?
A police state that tracks and controls your every movement, contaminated/GMO food, service jobs, more overcrowding, less public land to enjoy because it was bought up by foreigners, less resources to go around?

There is no hope of ever going back to anything that even resembles a fraction of what we remember as normal.
The collapse is the new normal!

Joe King
17th July 2011, 03:50 PM
What you remember as "normal" was but a an illusion anyways. People today are so far removed from what "normal" is supposed to be, they wouldn't recognize it even if came up and kissed 'em on the mouth.

Sparky
17th July 2011, 07:33 PM
There's a story in the Boston Globe today about a guy who got his driver's license revoked (via a mail notification). Turns out it was because his photo was incorrectly matched to someone who had committed some type of fraud.

Dogman
17th July 2011, 07:41 PM
The way this is going , soon everybody will have their photo and info, linked into a national data base, and if you are not in it , you could be flagged. This tech is going to grow, and it scares the hell out of me, not because of my doing anything wrong. But it will get to the point , that when in public, you will be able to be tracked as cameras grow in number and get linked together. When it happens , nobody will be able to be or do anything in public. The ptb at anytime can check recordings and track movements.

osoab
17th July 2011, 07:49 PM
Check out BI2 Technologies site. http://www.bi2technologies.com/

They are a privately held company can't find much about them with a cursory search.

Check out this page in their Newsroom. Very last page. http://www.bi2technologies.com/newsroom?page=4

It looks like a paid advertising sent to local stations to get the idea of the benefits of this crap.

Son-of-Liberty
17th July 2011, 10:52 PM
Per my understanding, once created, you are the "strawman".

If you don't want to be one, don't create one in the first place.

It's all done by consent.

I don't agree. The whole thing is fraudulent. How can you consent when you are not aware of what you are consenting to? It would be similar to me going door to door selling boxes of chocolates but when you purchase them there is a contract filed with the courts that says that when you buy XYZ chocolates you have agreed to hand over the deed to your house. I never mention that there is an adhesion contract filed somewhere but when we go to court over the house they side with me cause you should have done your due diligence before buying chocolates. Do you think that would actually be a binding contract in the real world. Of course not.

What makes them enforce their contracts is that they assume that if you are acting in the capacity of the strawman, then you are the strawman. Having drivers license, registration and insurance on you is pretty good proof you think you are the strawman. as long as you think you are the strawman and act like you are the strawman, answering to the strawmans name for example then it will be assumed that you are said strawman and subject to the laws that apply to the strawman.

I have heard of people being arrested, hauled off to jail and after they can't figure out who it is releasing them out the back door because they don't have a strawman to attach the charges to.

Why do you think many laws are not enforced on illegal aliens?

Joe King
18th July 2011, 12:15 AM
I don't agree. The whole thing is fraudulent. How can you consent when you are not aware of what you are consenting to? It would be similar to me going door to door selling boxes of chocolates but when you purchase them there is a contract filed with the courts that says that when you buy XYZ chocolates you have agreed to hand over the deed to your house. I never mention that there is an adhesion contract filed somewhere but when we go to court over the house they side with me cause you should have done your due diligence before buying chocolates. Do you think that would actually be a binding contract in the real world. Of course not.

What makes them enforce their contracts is that they assume that if you are acting in the capacity of the strawman, then you are the strawman. Having drivers license, registration and insurance on you is pretty good proof you think you are the strawman. as long as you think you are the strawman and act like you are the strawman, answering to the strawmans name for example then it will be assumed that you are said strawman and subject to the laws that apply to the strawman.

I have heard of people being arrested, hauled off to jail and after they can't figure out who it is releasing them out the back door because they don't have a strawman to attach the charges to.

Why do you think many laws are not enforced on illegal aliens?
I agree with your assessment other than the fact that instead of the gov coming to them saying they have to participate, the people made their own legal determination of what they thought they were and then they carried themselves down to the gov office to apply {ask} for the benefit of signing up for whatever particular benefit it happened to be that they wanted at the time.
...and then they told their kids, "you gotta do this here thing and don't ask why"....and the kids were like, "ok dad"...and then they did.....and then they told their kids the same...etc etc etc... then "POOF! Welcome to the machine my son! lol

The problem is [was] that too many people only thought that they knew what they were, and then acted accordingly.....and are still doing so to this day.

Don't forget that those contracts were written by the peoples agents. Agents that the people, for the most part, fervently supported. Anyone who tried to tell the people at the time what was really going on was looked at as nearly a traitor would be.
Remember, for at least a few generations there anyways, it wasn't considered "American" to question the gov about anything.

The problem for those that can see what's really going on is that they're surrounded by those who neither do, nor want to know what's going on.
That's how you end up with what we've got today.

Also, honest mistakes can be corrected.