PDA

View Full Version : Burn Bans

Dogman
19th July 2011, 09:26 AM
Just for a grin, how many of the members live where burn bans exist?

Texas has set a state record of burn bans and soon the entire state may have them.

Here in Texas, we have 254 county's and 247 of them are now under burn bans. Only 7 left and they may also ban fires soon. No out side burning, tho some will allow outdoor cooking if the fire in in a container with a cover.

Wondering about the rest of the world, burn or not burn?

Ponce
19th July 2011, 09:31 AM
OK here in Oregon........raining right now.

first post of the day................goog morning to one and all.

big country
19th July 2011, 09:42 AM
the little city where I live in WV has a city ordinance against buring at all times. I can't burn trash, I can't burn a brush pile in my yard (almost 1 acre!) and I can't have a fire pit or ring unless I can fit a steel grate over it.

Hopefully I won't be living here much longer...

drafter
19th July 2011, 10:28 AM
It's seasonal here. Ban is usually in effect during the summer months, rain or shine.

AOW
19th July 2011, 11:08 AM
Here in the PNW we get burn bans in the summer when things are too dry and in the winter when we get inversion layers that trap smoke and fog near the surface. Didn't happen much at all last winter and not this summer either with our fall-like weather.

Sparky
19th July 2011, 10:41 PM
Burning here is seasonal, and you have to pay a small fee to get a burn permit which is good for the season. You are also required to notify the local fire department in the morning before you start burning. Burning is not permitted during the summer months.

skid
19th July 2011, 10:59 PM
Up here in South west BC they only allow max. 1 meter fires for cooking right now. Normally there is a complete fire ban in the summer, but it has been so wet that fires aren't a big concern right now. My grass is still growing like crazy and the woods around here are like a tropical jungle. The trees are growing like crazy due to all the moisture.

BabushkaLady
19th July 2011, 11:14 PM
I believe the "state law" is always a burn ban. The "county" standards are use your own judgement, from what I can tell. We have had an incredibly wet and cool spring in the INW. I hesitate to say "summer" because it just hasn't gotten here yet.

I'll be burning real soon; I bought a huge bag of Campfire Marshmallows and the Pyro in me can't wait much longer!

Dogman
20th July 2011, 04:00 AM
Normally here if within the city limits, you call the fire department the day of the burn. They send someone out to look at the area, and to see if a water hose is handy. And then issue the free permit. It is good for 24 hrs. If in county you do what you want, when you want.

Now it is so dry, if you look cross eyed at anything it may combust.