PDA

View Full Version : Matching Travelers

palani
26th July 2011, 01:25 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/25/technology/matching-travelers-with-rooms-via-the-web.html?_r=1

When Lisa Marion’s roommates moved out of her apartment in Toronto in February, she scrambled to find replacements. But instead of finding one or two, she found 30.

Nathan Blecharczyk, left, Brian Chesky and Joe Gebbia founded Airbnb in 2008.

Lisa Marion, in one of two rooms in her Toronto apartment that she rents out using Airbnb, a San Francisco start-up.

Ms. Marion, 26, has been using Airbnb, a Web site that streamlines the process of renting out her extra bedrooms to travelers. The service has unexpectedly turned her into a bed-and-breakfast owner, bringing in roughly $1,800 a month, a nice cushion as she works on starting her own business.

“It pays my rent with a little left over,” she said. “I’ve been able to upgrade my place, paint and get new furniture, which in turn means I can charge more.”

Everyone could use a little more excitement in their life ... this has possibilities of a reality show in real life.

mick silver
26th July 2011, 03:21 PM
who in the hell wants people they dont know in there home . i dont lets some of the people i know in my home

mick silver
26th July 2011, 03:30 PM
ok they can come over

Joe King
26th July 2011, 03:36 PM
Even if their Dad is a banker?

ximmy
26th July 2011, 04:13 PM
it's a good way to make a few dollars... like Forrest Gump's mom

Ponce
26th July 2011, 05:13 PM
Even if their Dad is a banker?

Specially if their dad is a banker hahahahahahha.

In the past 11 years only my attorney and my brother (with wife and kids) have been inside of my home..........

ShortJohnSilver
26th July 2011, 07:29 PM
I must be seeing double, I see two sets of twins in that photo ...

Ponce
26th July 2011, 07:32 PM
LOL Short........and EE? danm you man, I came back four time to this thread to look at them.......they must by Gypsies.

Joe King
26th July 2011, 07:33 PM
Specially if their dad is a banker hahahahahahha.

I see what you did there. lol

Glass
26th July 2011, 09:05 PM
Way back before the dawn of time (internet time that is) I knew a couple of ladies who were planning a world trip. They had this very large book which contained listings of all sorts of non hotel/motel accomodation in countries all over the world. The accomodation ranged from BnB's to spare rooms people had that they wanted to let out. So these two had organised their whole trip by staying in other peoples spare rooms or granny flats etc.

I can't recall the name of the book but it was well renowned at the time. This was just as the WWW hyperlinking was invented. I've actually been thinking about this prospect my self. To rent out some spare space short term. I don't really want to have a permanent sharer. A casual thing would be great. I could take a break between people.