PDA

View Full Version : Mofongo ...fufu de plátano

palani
27th July 2011, 05:33 PM
Mofongo is a plantain-based dish from Puerto Rico. The dish is also known as fufu de plátano in Cuban cuisine. Mofongo is generally made from fried green plantains (although fried yuca or breadfruit are possible) which is mashed together with broth, garlic, olive oil, and pork cracklings or bits of bacon. It is often filled with vegetables, chicken, crab, shrimp, or beef and is often served with fried meat and chicken broth soup. Mofongo relleno is mofongo stuffed with stewed beef, chicken or seafood, with stewed sauce poured over.

I used to ask for ketchup with my mofongo. The chief said they were going to put a hit out on me!!!!

wrs
27th July 2011, 05:45 PM
I fix great patacones. They are easy, just buy three slightly yellow plantains. Peel them, cut them in 1/4 inch rounds. Use 1 cup olive oil (or whatever it takes to fill about an inch) in a cast iron skillet and fill a large stainless steel bowl with ice water. Fry the rounds in the oil until just brown on each side and transfer to the ice water. Remove them from the ice water and press them with your palm on a cutting board. Fry the smashed rounds again until golden brown and cripsy. These are the best fried plantains you will ever eat if you follow this recipe. Make sure to use EVOO and don't put the heat up too high, it doesn't need to be. I got this recipe watching the maid at my wife's parents house in Panama back in 1980 when I first got married.

Ponce
27th July 2011, 06:42 PM
Palaniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.......da nmmmmmmmm you all to hell, haven't had Cuban food in 13 years....oh well.

Something worse than kashup on fufu?.....how about kashup on watermelon?, by a indian guy in Alaska.

palani
27th July 2011, 06:47 PM
Palaniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.......da nmmmmmmmm you all to hell, haven't had Cuban food in 13 years....oh well.

Something worse than kashup on fufu?.....how about kashup on watermelon?, by a indian guy in Alaska.

See, guys. That is how you troll for Cubans!!! Ya gotta bait the hook with the right bait.

Ever thought about opening up a Cuban restaurant??? ... I miss Cubanos and media noches.

wrs
27th July 2011, 06:48 PM
My wife puts ketchup on arroz con pollo, that is apparently the way they eat it in Panama.

palani
27th July 2011, 06:54 PM
I used to appreciate my weekend trips through the mountains in Puerto Rico. Always had someone bar b queing along the side of the road ... lechon asado served on a plantain leaf, pan de agua bread.

Then north of Ponce (PR that is) there was an open air restaurant that served bbq chicken grilled on 55 gal drum halves. Order one, they would slide it off the spit on to a board, chop it up with machete and serve it on the board.

Ponce
27th July 2011, 07:14 PM
Already hunted for a Cuban restaurant in Oregon.......none to be had.

Openning one of my own?........why hell, I would be the only client because there would be a "Closed" sign at the door 24/7.

palani
27th July 2011, 07:21 PM

Vancouver can't be that far.

http://www.havanarestaurant.ca/

Buy an ambulance and go for a ride.

Havana Sloppy Joe $14.00
Crispy vegetable patty, Swiss cheese and black bean chili on a fresh toasted bun

palani
27th July 2011, 07:42 PM
Seem to be quite a few Cuban restaurants in Portland

http://local.yahoo.com/OR/Portland/Food+Dining/Restaurants/Cuban+Restaurants

basplaer
27th July 2011, 07:51 PM

Dunno if you're close to Portland, but Pambiche gets good reviews. Just north of Burnside on the East end. I'll be in PDX this weekend and might be able to check it out if I have time (quick trip for a wedding).

Hatha Sunahara
27th July 2011, 07:56 PM
I just went to a Cuban Restaurant last week in Portland called Pambiche. I noticed on their menu they had a Plato Communista, and a Plato Cubano. No cuban products though. I drank a bottle of Dos XX Equis, and had a vegetable soup with yucca in it. Compared to Calle Ocho in Miami, this place has reasonably good food. Kind small indoor dining room but seating on the sidewalk. There are a few others--I'm going to check Palani's post above for where they are. I give Pambiche about 7.5 out of 10 on the rating scale.

Hatha

Ponce
27th July 2011, 08:02 PM
About 400 miles from me :(

Spectrism
28th July 2011, 05:46 AM
See, guys. That is how you troll for Cubans!!! Ya gotta bait the hook with the right bait.

Ever thought about opening up a Cuban restaurant??? ... I miss Cubanos and media noches.

I thought you were trolling for Puerto Ricans with all that PR talk.

Ponce
28th July 2011, 09:17 AM
There is a song that says that Cubans and Puerto Ricans are like the wings of the same birds because we are both the same.

palani
28th July 2011, 11:19 AM
I thought you were trolling for Puerto Ricans with all that PR talk.

Mira, you bait for catfish do you occasionally come up with carp or even a snapping turtle once in a while?

Ponce
28th July 2011, 12:32 PM
Palani, and your are? which one?......

palani
28th July 2011, 01:14 PM
Palani, and your are? which one?......

The one holding the rod.