PDA

View Full Version : Visiting a hospital far riskier than flying in an airplane

Serpo
31st July 2011, 12:30 AM
They say that flying is the safest way to travel, but who would have thought that it is even safer than visiting a hospital?

Yes it is, according to the World Health Organization, which recently appointed a "health czar" to inform doctors and hospitals to take such earth-shattering measures as washing their hands.

The WHO named Liam Donaldson, Great Britain's former chief medical officer, to combat what the global health watchdog claims is a growing problem around the world - worsening health conditions inside hospitals.

In Canada, the WHO's Report on the Burden of Endemic Health Care-Associated Infection Worldwide 2011 said the "health-care-associated infection rate" of patients is 11.6 percent, one of the worst levels among developed countries. In the U.S., the report said, it's much lower - 4.5 percent. The European Centre for Disease Control says Europe's overall rate is 7.1 percent.

"Health care still has not achieved the level of safety of many other high-risk industries," Donaldson told a news conference in Geneva, according to the Vancouver Sun. "Citizens of countries around the world find it incredible that errors lead to patients getting the wrong operation or the wrong medication, sometimes with fatal consequences."

What's more, he said, hospital patients worldwide had a 1-in-10 chance of being victims of a medical error, and that one in 300 of those patients would die from that mistake. Only one in 10 million people are victims of airline fatalities, he said.

Donaldson added that while medication errors are fairly common in hospitals, care and fall associated accidents harm patients fairly frequently.

Healthcare, he said, is a "high-risk" business because it's delivered in a "fast-moving, high-pressured environment, involving a lot of complex technology and a lot of people."

Hospital-related injuries and deaths have been a problem in the U.S. for years. A report published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 1995, said that 280,000 patients died each year from hospital accidents, and that more than 1 million are injured.

Moreover, hospitals are full of infection-causing bacteria - superbugs, if you will - and other microbes that are resistant to antibiotics and kill as many as 48,000 patients a year.

Besides the resistance, bad infection control habits by hospital staff increase the likelihood of contracting a superbug related ailment is a sickness that can kill you.

What can be done? One of the simplest, most effective ways to reduce the spread and destruction of these superbugs is, quite simply, for hospital staff to just wash their hands.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033167_hospital_dangers.html

Twisted Titan
31st July 2011, 02:21 AM
Now factor in that "medicines" that are given more times then not increase disease and infection with horrible side effects.

That fatality rate shoots through the roof

gunDriller
31st July 2011, 06:34 AM
the key word is Iatrogenic.

American doctors cause more problems than they solve.

but few of them can tell the truth about it, or modify their practices accordingly.

beefsteak
31st July 2011, 07:33 AM
And Drs have been "patting down" turn your head and cough, subjecting us to invasive scans for years, of course, only with our "permission."

Odd, yes?

Dogman
31st July 2011, 07:44 AM
If for any reason you or loved ones are patients in a hospital. And the Dr. or nurses walk in and try and touch or do anything, Insist that they wash their hands and put on gloves before doing a thing. Putting on gloves alone is not enough. And raise hell until they do wash. It is proven that doctors and nurses hand hygiene does make a difference in the spread of the nasty's.

Joe King
31st July 2011, 07:56 AM
And raise hell until they do wash. It is proven that doctors and nurses hand hygiene does make a difference in the spread of the nasty's. After reading that, I was gonna say that they obviously aren't washing enough if there's 130 people dying per day of hospital-aquired "superbugs".

Dogman
31st July 2011, 08:05 AM
After reading that, I was gonna say that they obviously aren't washing enough if there's 130 people dying per day of hospital-aquired "superbugs".

They will never completely eliminate the risks, and medical personnel are supposed to wash hands between patients not all do all the time for a variety of reasons, they know they should but they are people also and make mistakes or forget, to name a few. With these new super bugs going around, you do not play around. They are a man made problem thanks to all the antibiotics that are fed to livestock and people demanding them and doctors over using them over the years. You reap what you sow.

Always insist that the hands are washed.

Ponce
31st July 2011, 09:03 AM
One of this days someone will have the guts to talk about the killer pills that they give out everyday.......live longer, take no pills.

First post of the day.........good morning to one and all.

gunDriller
31st July 2011, 02:00 PM
in order to understand how sick American medicine is, it helps to see a doctor in Mexico or Canada (unless you need a heart transplant, then it might be better to have the operation in the US, and THEN go to another country if the bill is life-threatening.)

you walk into the office, say what's wrong, they write you a prescription.

that's the way in Mexico.

in Canada there's a bit more forms to fill out. i'm talking about if you're paying CASH. i haven't had experience with the Canada official medicine.

i remember an appointment at Saint Mary's in San Francisco ... 4 or 5 people standing around trying to figure out my bill - I'M NOT PAYING THEIR SALARY !

American "doctors" also tend to promote elective procedures or drugs a lot more. Cause they make money on them.

Also, rich people in the US can get any drugs they want. I had a rich neighbor in San Diego - retired biker chick inherits father's electronics fortune, lives with her chihuahuas in a 20 bedroom mansion, goes to the doctor once or twice a week for various feel good drugs.

if a layperson had her stash, they'd be arrested. because she is paying a doctor to write the prescription, "all is well".