PDA

View Full Version : Dry firing

Sparky
3rd August 2011, 09:51 PM
The operator manual for my Beretta 9 mm says it's okay to use an empty shell casing to absorb the firing pin impact during dry firing. But I've noticed that when I do this, the center on the empty shell takes a beating and I'm wondering if it loses it's ability to absorb the impact of the firing pin so that it's no longer serving it's purpose. Is it only effective for a handful of dry fires, like 5? Or 50? Or 500?

BTW, I've come to appreciate the value of dry firing, especially with a double/single action handgun. I know there's nothing like the real thing, but I can't get to the range as often as I should.

Glass
3rd August 2011, 11:31 PM
snap caps usually have a foam plug/centre for centre fire calibres. This gets lots of firing pin holes in it and can sometimes start to break up. For some snap caps you can turn the foam plug around and use the other side of the foam.

Not all snap caps are created equal but they are a good alternative. I think as long as the firing pin is getting no more impact than it normally would you should be ok.

SLV^GLD
4th August 2011, 05:13 AM
I think it is primarily important that the firing pin hit something before traveling fully forward where it can shatter/deform and/or strike the breech/chamber.

Gaillo
4th August 2011, 11:31 AM
I've found that the BEST snap caps are homemade. Here's how:

(1) Deprime fired cartridge(s). Clean/tumble. If you're planning on step (4) below, size case in sizing die
(2) Plug the primer flash hole with something solid - I use the broken-off end of a round toothpick.
(3) Fill the rest of the primer pocket with silicon rubber glue. Let dry, then trim flat with a razor blade/Exacto knife.
(4) If you want to chamber from a magazine, instead of inserting by hand, load a bullet using seating die.
(5) To easily distinguish from other real cartridges, paint with a sharpie, either the case head or the entire cartridge body.

That's it... they seem to work perfectly, and last nearly forever!

SLV^GLD
4th August 2011, 11:54 AM
What purpose does step 2 serve?

horseshoe3
4th August 2011, 12:52 PM
What purpose does step 2 serve?

Keeps the glue in step three from running into the case.

Gaillo
4th August 2011, 04:49 PM
Keeps the glue in step three from running into the case.

That.

Most silicon rubber glues are thick enough to "stay put", but I do step 2 anyway, just to be certain.

steyr_m
4th August 2011, 08:54 PM
I usually just "ride the hammer" [when possible] while pulling the trigger.

SLV^GLD
5th August 2011, 05:24 AM
I usually just "ride the hammer" [when possible] while pulling the trigger.

That seems to work in direct conflict with practicing correct grip and fine motor skills you intend to be exhibited under stress.