PDA

View Full Version : Two-Minute Torture Drill

Dogman
11th August 2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/two-minute-torture-drill/

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/images/2011-7/2011726115154-test_m.jpg

One hundred and twenty seconds might not sound like a very long time, but if you run this rifle drill properly, it will feel like a lifetime.

By Iain Harrison

As shooters, we tend not to push ourselves. We drive to the range, schlep our gear onto the shooting bench and rocket a hundred or-so rounds of “practice” before reversing the process. None of this teaches us what it takes to make a shot with an elevated heart rate, from a difficult position or learning what a “good enough” sight picture looks like. This drill will show you all three.

Setup

This is a comparatively simple drill conducted at 50 yards. First, set up two barricades, each with an 8-inch diameter hole centered 18 inches from the bottom, 50 feet apart, with a marker midway between them. Downrange at 50 yards are three IPSC Metric targets, one per shooting position. You can run this drill with a buddy and a stopwatch, but investing a shot timer is one of the most effective ways to improve the quality of your training. If you have a shot timer, set the par time to 120 seconds.

A note on safety: You’re going to be moving with a loaded firearm, so muzzle control is vitally important, particularly when making the dash back to the end of the line. Be aware of your muzzle at all times, and if your sights aren’t on the target, your finger should be out of the trigger guard.

Procedure

Start at the low ready position behind the barricade of your choice, rifle loaded, round in the chamber. At the signal, engage the target in front of your shooting position with one round. Move to the center shooting position and engage that target with one round from the kneeling position (defined as one or more knees in contact with the ground). Continue to the last barricade and engage the target with one round before moving back to the start position and repeating the process until you run out of time. It sounds more complicated than it actually is—move like a typewriter carriage—three shots, then all the way back to the beginning. You may not engage any target with more than one round from any position.

When the timer runs out, tally your hits on the targets. As the IPSC targets are huge and only 50 yards away, it should be impossible to miss, right?

After the buzzer goes off, the first thing you’ll notice is that the barricade ports are located in such a way that they’re too high for a good prone shot and too low to comfortably use while kneeling. This will force you to adapt your style to your environment, rather than the other way around. Around the one-minute mark, you’ll realize that you’re taking longer to acquire the target and sights than when you started and that all this jumping up and down as you swap positions is hard work. At around 90 seconds, assuming you’re pushing yourself rather than just meandering along the line, you’ll probably be thinking about adding some serious cardio work to your daily routine and realize just why this drill acquired the name it did.

A good score is around 17 hits, and if you can achieve this, you’re well on the way to mastering close-range positional shooting.

The diagram below shows how to set up and run your drill properly.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/home-carousel/images/drill.jpg (http://www.americanrifleman.org/home-carousel/images/drill.jpg)

Sounds like fun for the younger types! As said more real life teotwawki practice.

SWRichmond
18th August 2011, 06:51 PM
We drive to the range, schlep our gear onto the shooting bench and rocket a hundred or-so rounds of “practice” before reversing the process.

Maybe he does. I never ever ever shoot from a bench. It is a useless endeavor. I also run the hundred yards back and forth when I place and /or change targets (unless I am doing load development).

As for the now-popular practice of introducing stress and difficulty by making holes in plywood at odd heights to shoot from, if I can't rapidly get a good shooting position and shoot accurately when I am exposing myself to shoot, I will move to a better position rather than expose myself. How the hell am I going to jump up and move fast if I have myself twisted in a knot in order to shoot through some god-awful and artificially-induced just-off-the-ground peephole? Would I be wrongly teaching myself to try to force shots and engage in non-favorable conditions? Why the hell would I give away my position under such circumstances?

STUPID.

solid
18th August 2011, 08:28 PM
I think the biggest thing folks should practice, is firing while moving. A moving target is harder to hit. If you are firing your gun, you should be moving at the same time.

skid
18th August 2011, 09:27 PM
The concept is similar to the bear attack training I took earlier this year. The concept was shoot, move to cover, shoot, move to cover. You want to have the attacking bear have to adjust and move to you. This buys time for tactical reloads etc. if necessary..

We didn't contort behind peepholes, but took advantage of whatever cover/protection was available. We even practiced falling backwards, and shooting off our backs, (simulating tripping over a log while walking backwards). You have to remember to spread your feet else you may lose a toe or two:)

SWRichmond
19th August 2011, 04:27 AM
but took advantage of whatever cover/protection was available.

IMO, yes. Cover versus concealment. If my only choice was to either shoot through a hole 18" off the ground or not shoot, and if I needed to expose myself for some time getting into a position that enabled me to shoot, I would choose instead to use the cover. If the "cover" was really only "concealment," then this is doubly true.