PDA

View Full Version : Dutch PlantLab Revolutionizes Farming: No Sunlight, No Windows, Less Water, Better Fo

Serpo
16th August 2011, 10:12 AM
http://singularityhub.com/2011/08/14/dutch-plantlab-revolutionizes-farming-no-sunlight-no-windows-less-water-better-food/

Glass
16th August 2011, 08:06 PM
There was a similar story to this a few months back. I personally like the whole hydroponic concept. I've mentioned before that I really like aquaponics because you can join two systems together and get a symbiotic benefit from it. Plants and Fish.

On the tech side. The more tech monitoring the better because if something gets out of kilter in a hyrdoponic system you can get in to big trouble very quickly. Things can spiral out of control very fast. Thats not to say traditional growing doesn't have those problems it's just with Hydro the window of opportunity to solve a problem without incuring damage/loses is that much smaller.

midnight rambler
16th August 2011, 09:40 PM
I like the concept, but this arrangement requires being connected to the grid (mainly for climate control, the LEDs are low enough consumption those could be solar powered). If there is some sort of long term problem with the grid (having to be rebuilt after a mega solar event or an EMP blast from the likes of someone we've pissed off like N. Korea or China) then one would be fooked.