PDA

View Full Version : Copper, the over-looked metal?

lapis
28th August 2011, 06:09 AM
This is from Walter Burien's eNewsletter (website: CAFR1.com).

The General focus is on the gold right now. What I have been telling people with money is to buy copper ingots.

Copper is priced by the pound. In the next year, two, or three they may switch to pricing by the oz. With the price increase to that point and when they switch to pricing by the oz the price will soar.

Dollar for dollar that makes copper the #1 buy to hold the physical [ traded precious metals <http://barchart.com/commodityfutures/Metals> ]

Silver Note to all. Looking for an objective of $115 / oz in 2015 and it could happen this year or any time in between and that is a 4x payout for those that bought at $25.

Copper on the same I am looking for an 8 to 12x payout.

Just do a Google on: "Copper ingots" buy

Follow-up post:

From the post I put out several days ago per copper the response was "very" good.

At the time copper was at $3.95 per LB and as of today $4.08 per LB and in fact over those days all other metals had a sharp back-off but copper was exclusively plus each day.

From the many replies I received from people looking to buy copper bars I am putting out the following info:

1. I suggest 10 LB bars

2. Find an outlet that is a commercial dealer in copper were the mark-up will be minimal (2% to 5%) over the daily spot price. Coin dealers and so called precious metal dealers will try to get a substantially higher mark-up, so no thanks there. Seek out a commercial dealer.

3. To avoid shipping costs find a commercial dealer that is closest to you where you can drive over and pick up the bars. (they may need to order them so give advance notice)

Let's do some math:

If you had a one oz gold coin (spot price today $1740) and cashed it in and bought 10 LB copper bars. Copper is at $4.08 per LB x 10 = $40.80 per 10 LB bar, divided into $1740 = 42.64 *ten (10 LB) copper bars. That is "42" ten Pound Copper Bars you get!

OK, let's say in 2014 or 20115 the metals exchanges say: Copper is over $10 a LB so we are going to change the pricing from pounds to ounces. Well, let's say the price is $14 a LB divided by 16 now the price is 87 1/2 cents per oz.

When that type of change is made the public now looks and sees gold at XXXXXX price per oz and silver at XXXXX price per oz and then copper at XX price per oz, what item do you think almost all of the general population are going to buy? ANS: Copper

Under those circumstances the price surges.

So, let's say copper goes from 87c to $1.45 per oz

Math time again: *$1.45 x 16 = $23.20 per lb x 10 lb = $232 x 42 bars = $9744

Bing bing, get it?

I suggested to a few people if and when copper hits $1.45 / oz send your bars to a refiner and get a 1 oz coins struck customized for your town.

EXAMPLE: 2015 Des Moine, Iowa Commemorative 1 oz Copper Piece, and move them for $3 a piece. Refiners charge about $325 for the coin mold and 18c per coin struck. You would also have the cost of shipping the bars to and then coins back.

Let's say the to and from shipping was $250 + $250 = $500. Here you double your money, or a little more than $18,000. Not bad from one $1740 one oz gold coin at this time don't you think!

Hmmm... I just thought of what would happen if twenty or thirty one oz gold coins were used to do the same.

I wouldn't trade my gold for copper, but it seems like it wouldn't hurt to buy some to add to the PM stash. And it may be an easy way for newbies to get into PMs right now who are intimidated by gold's "prices."

Shami-Amourae
28th August 2011, 06:24 AM
You should NEVER buy copper bars. They are all scams and way overpriced. If you want cheap copper, do what I and several others on this forum do: Buy $25 boxes of pennies and sort out the copper pennies. The copper pennies weigh 3.1 grams and the zinc pennies weigh 2.5 grams. I do this quickly with a coin scale (I can sort a $25 box by hand in about 2 hours with a pocket coin scale), then dump the zinc pennies into a Coinstar at the grocery store, and cash out free Amazon.com giftcards which I use for grocery shopping anyways (dry goods.)

I went though 9 boxes of $25 of pennies so far and have an average yield of 22%, which is approximately a $85 profit in melt value with today's current prices, (that doesn't count the 50+ Wheaties, foreign coins, and 4 dimes I found inside.) So I almost have 2 $25 boxes full of rolled copper pennies, and I'm basically DONE with it since I found a new strategy of buying silver at 66% of the spot prices (no fucking way I'll share how!)

<<--Copper Pennies on COINFLATION-->>. (http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1909-1982-Lincoln-Cent-Penny-Value.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5N44WIyCXk

Oh, I'd like to point out you can always scrap copper. There's usually a lot of it in power cables, so the next time you throw out a broken Chinese appliance, try stripping the power cord and check out all the pure copper you'll get.

Joe King
28th August 2011, 08:40 AM
I found a new strategy of buying silver at 66% of the spot prices (no fucking way I'll share how!)Oh, come on now, don't be holdin' out on us. We're all friends here, right? Right? 859

7th trump
28th August 2011, 09:34 AM
I call bullshit...... copper will never go to oz's.
Too much copper.........its not a precious metal and never will be!
Brass I would think would go precious before copper based on availability.
Dont even waste your time collecting pennies when you can buy copper wire by the hundreds of feet on one roll which you can buy thousands of.
When the merchants flee and wonder what happened to babylon copper will be in every house, on every shelf in every Home Depot, Menards and Lowes just like it is right now but with no one able to do anything with it.
All this copper laying around with a stagnant world economy what good is copper!