PDA

View Full Version : Games

Grog
28th August 2011, 07:47 PM
Didn't know where to put this, figured general was a good spot.

I've always disliked GameStop. Seemed high priced and they always low ball on trades and sell used games high. Either way we went there last night because my son received some gift cards for his birthday. He found a few games that he liked and used his cards up and I noticed a few games I thought were cool on the rack too. Used games....

Came home and looked on the web to see the reviews. I always like to look at what others think about random games before I purchase. I don't want to buy a dud. lol

Every game I looked at purchasing at GameStop USED, costs less at Amazon NEW. o.O Every single one was cheaper at Amazon, by at least 2 bucks. (some by 5 and we are talking 20 dollar base here...) And I get to avoid sales tax, and free super saver shipping so it is closer to 4 bucks each.

I'm glad I went home to compare. Buyer beware. Don't impulse buy and do your research. Save a few bucks where you can. This is just one example.

BTW: Games (wii/gamecube/PSII etc.) can be found at rock bottom at Half Price Books if you have one in your area. Even cheaper than Amazon. Pawnshops are great for Gamecube, PSII, and other 'legacy' systems. ~5.00 each if you look around. Having fun is fun, if it is inexpensive.

I love scrounging through use inventory. :D

Grog

mamboni
28th August 2011, 08:05 PM
Yo Blorp,

Gamestop hoses you on the used games for sure. Anyway, I only have a PC and the local stores don't bother carrying much inventory 'cause they can't compete with online outlets. I shop on line and order games well ahead of need as downloading these superlarge modern games is a no go with DSL. My most recent acquisitions: DeadRising 2, Dead Space 2, HALO 2 and Arcania Gothica. So far I have started playing DS 2 and holy cow this game is intense, like HL2 fused with DOOM3 on angel dust. I can only play a few minutes per night - gets my heart pounding.

Recently I downloaded DOSBOX .74 and have been playing two of my favorate games from yore, Magic Carpet 2 and Transport Tycoon Deluxe. I found a free download of the latter at this great website loaded with old classics: http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/

Silver Baron
28th August 2011, 09:40 PM
Amazon is unfortunately the cheapest on almost anything I need in a few days to a week.
It is only unfortunate because it was always fun to stop in and see whats new/cheaper back in the old days before internet reviews. Also because gamestop as well as other companies may end up surviving only by being the distribution centers for the likes of amazon, if brick and mortars survive well at all.

Returning a game (or music) has always been a nightmare, so you couldn't be more correct about paying less after doing you own due dilligence. Though I have played a few with stinky reviews that I couldn't see the problem with. Granted I would have been playing them on hardware a few years new than the game, so performance is always top notch when I get around to checking something out. Plus cheaper.

Everyone also knows gamestop is more expensive and like to deal with the "latest-and-greatest-snooty-pre-order-won't-play-anything-over-6-months-old-because-its-old" crowd (our kids).
I like something to look through while at the mall waiting for kids and wife shopping in 'claire's or whatever.
I rarely end up buying for the reasons stated in the original post.
so then the PC section is also shrinking there and at Electronics boutique or whatever it is at the mall.
When their PC game sectin is gone they will pretty much have lost a customer along the way, as my family will have grown up.
(I never will grow up, but will end up exclusively buying online to save gas looking for something)

Further issues such as licensing types like 'Steam' (I hate it so much) will put dents in Amazon because resale can't be done easily with their kind of licensing. You can't even sell your old games then.

Guilty of some second-rate game dabbling here too. The games of my youth that I ran out of time to play when new. Current games are only ok, most all console gaming is annoying to me. A gaming PC alongside my GSUS pc is too addictive to be couchbound. Add in mods, bonus content and editors, etc. for many games too.

I also take up space in the garage using 9 coin-ops, all of which have been customized to some degree.
Just in case anyone else has that problem...

Mamboni? I Greatly appreciate the link to bestoldgames and will check it out once 'caught up' on this forum.

joboo
28th August 2011, 10:46 PM
I like the game where girls leave clothes at your place so you have to hook up again, that and call of duty 2...?

:rolleyes:

AndreaGail
28th August 2011, 11:07 PM
Good info!

I never buy games or even have a game system but im thinking of purchasing the new Formula 1 game that comes out in September for my PC