PDA

View Full Version : Convince me

osoab
30th August 2011, 07:35 PM
Not to buy a Beretta AL391 Teknys.

Went sporting clay shooting over the weekend. Had a blast. Makes trap seem more of a bore than I was thinking. My cheap pump just will not do the trick though.

So I found a Teknys used, with the adjustable comb, 28" barrel for 1600 cash.
Good wood. With the lever release in stainless/aluminum that matches the reciever instead of the standard button. Private sale. Don't know how many rounds fired through it. I would guess at least 2000 if not 5000.

Convince me not to buy it.

(Beretta does have a price slash on the slug barrels for this gun too.)

Korbin Dallas
30th August 2011, 07:38 PM
Don't do it. Spend it on shiny metal objects :)

solid
30th August 2011, 08:07 PM
Well, you've already got a 45-70. That's really all you need. Anything else is just icing on the cake...

You could get that little Ruger LCR revolver I personally am salivating over, for around $450. Then, with the extra $1000, spend $500 on ammo, and the rest on hookers and blow. :)

JJ.G0ldD0t
31st August 2011, 05:42 AM
gotta be outta your damn mind to pay that much for a shotty. Next thing you know you'll be rubbin elbows with kike lawyers that graduated from NYU at the country club.

:D

osoab
31st August 2011, 08:56 AM
So far you guys are not much help. Hookers and blow do sound tempting though.

Similar new one here. http://www.gunsinternational.com/Beretta-AL-391-Teknys-12-Gauge-New.cfm?gun_id=100181419

DMac
31st August 2011, 09:03 AM
If I were to spend more than $1000 on a shotty I'd go with a new Benelli.

osoab
31st August 2011, 09:12 AM
If I were to spend more than $1000 on a shotty I'd go with a new Benelli.

One of the dealears/gunsmiths I deal a lot with says Benelli's are the most difficult to get parts for. Could take months. Worth the money to go Beretta or Browning.

A guy at work has one identical. He has no issues with the gun. The one I might get is identical to his. I should have shot it the day I went to do the sporting clays, but I didn't want to jump around on guns. I wanted to see what I could do with the cheap pump.

Dogman
31st August 2011, 09:24 AM
One of the dealears/gunsmiths I deal a lot with says Benelli's are the most difficult to get parts for. Could take months. Worth the money to go Beretta or Browning.

A guy at work has one identical. He has no issues with the gun. The one I might get is identical to his. I should have shot it the day I went to do the sporting clays, but I didn't want to jump around on guns. I wanted to see what I could do with the cheap pump.One thing I do and have done with all of my firearms, past and present. Is to find what parts are most likely to break, and then buy at least one spare to stay with the gun. If the part is small, I try and keep them with the gun. If a rifle, I take the butt plate off and drill a hole and put the part in wrapped so it does not rattle and replace the plate. If a revolver, in the grip if it will fit and not interfear. Or in the guns case with the tools needed to replace the part with, depends on the gun.

k-os
31st August 2011, 10:41 AM
Do you really need another gun? We should buy more fluffy pillows instead.

Signed, your wife.

PS -You said to talk you out of it.
PPS - I don't know if you are married.

osoab
31st August 2011, 10:55 AM
Do you really need another gun? We should buy more fluffy pillows instead.

Signed, your wife.

PS -You said to talk you out of it.
PPS - I don't know if you are married.

Not hitched k-os.
Granted, I could use a fluffy pillow. I don't own one of those. :D

I have always wanted a better shotgun. The 1600 for one vs many more for 1600 is stumping me.

I have not really convinced myself either way on the purchase.

The deal seems very good imo.

mightymanx
1st September 2011, 12:52 AM
For 1600 I would have a mobile flack cannon AKA the tricked out Saiga-12

Much better for taking care of zombies IMHO.

If you have that covered knock yourself out, be advised upper end shotguns don't like crappy walmart target ammo to use the capability of a $2000 shotgun you need to feed it quality food.

big country
1st September 2011, 08:01 AM
I shot trap with a borrowed custom over-under from and older gentleman at the range (didn't know the guy, he let me use his gun so my wife and I could shoot together) and honestly I didn't really notice the difference, nor did I shoot better then I do with my Rem 870 pump. I don't remember the make of the gun, it was foreign and custom not a big mass manufacturer name and he said it cost him $4,800. It was nice don't get me wrong. Well balanced, easy to swing, easy to shoot. I'd still rather have 19 Remmington 870's though instead of that one gun.

In your case its 6 870's (or mossy 500's...whichever your preferance) or one high dollar trap gun. Don't get me wrong, I love shoot trap and skeet as much as anyone, but I like to use my guns for more then just that. At the price points that dedicated trap and skeet guns go for I cannot justify it.

I don't know if the tenky's is marketed as a dedicated trap/skeet gun or what, but I'd buy a remmington wingmaster if I wanted an "expensive" shotgun. Anything more then that I have a hard time justifying.

Buy a wingmaster and have $600 minimum left over to buy shells to break it in and to purchase rounds of trap/skeet/sporting clays whichever you prefer!

osoab
1st September 2011, 02:16 PM
Well, I need no more convincing. I picked it up today. ;D

Same price, about 3 years old and only had about 400 rounds through it.

I didn't get the full compliment of chokes with it. Missing skeet I believe.

Original hard case too.

Early B-Day present to me.

osoab
3rd September 2011, 02:17 PM
Range report. Went back out to the sporting clays today. Last week I hit 40 out of 100. I was going for 25. I hit 58 this week. Same course with same setup. One of the owners sons went out with me. He gave me some good tips. I give 1/2 to the gun and 1/2 to doing the same course again.

Smooth shooting gun. No bruises, no soreness.

Had two FtF's. I was told that I probably didn't have the gun seated well enough to have the recoil mechanism do its work. FtF was only on one type of shells (Federal Target loads blue box). Winchester AA's super handicap's didn't have a problem. AA's are a little faster.