PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed Illinois Man Finds $150,000 In His Backyard

Serpo
31st August 2011, 03:13 PM
First Posted: 8/31/11 09:54 AM ET Updated: 8/31/11 11:55 AM ET

React

VID......
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/341235/thumbs/s-BAG-OF-CASH-large.jpg

A man in northern Illinois found a valuable surprise in his backyard Tuesday afternoon: A duffle bag filled with stacks of $20 bills.
As Wayne Sabaj, a 49-year-old unemployed carpenter living in Johnsburg, explained to WGN, he had been looking for broccoli in his garden when he saw the duffle bag (http://www.wgntv.com/wgntv-bag-of-cash-found-mchenry-county-man-finds-150000-dollars-turns-it-into-police-20110830,0,3130551.story). After Sabaj showed the bag to his father, with whom he lives, they decided to alert police.
When the McHenry Sheriff's Department arrived, they discovered a second bag. All told, the bags contained $150,000.
Sabaj told the Northwest Herald that he briefly considered keeping the money for himself, but he feared not only where the money had come from, but who might be coming back to retrieve it (http://www.nwherald.com/2011/08/30/garden-sprouts-150k-surprise/a8ij6wd/).
"I went and spent my last $10 on cigarettes yesterday, but I turned in $150,000," Sabaj said.
"I haven't worked in two years. Yeah, I was like, I could really use this money (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8336320)," the man told ABC7. "With my luck, it would be bank robbery and I'd get caught and say I'd robbed a bank."
The bags are now in the custody of police, who are processing them for fingerprints and any other evidence, according to the Northwest Herald. There are currently no suspects. In the bags' place, investigators left a business card listing a phone number and a "please call" note. If an owner is not identified, police indicated they may assist Sabaj in determining whether he can claim the money.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/31/unemployed-illinois-man-f_n_943167.html?1314799023&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2|91492 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/31/unemployed-illinois-man-f_n_943167.html?1314799023&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%7C91492)

Twisted Titan
31st August 2011, 03:17 PM
Why......why do the fates continue to shine on the profane masses?

Cebu_4_2
31st August 2011, 03:19 PM
What an idiot.

Dogman
31st August 2011, 03:23 PM
By the time everyone gets a piece of the action, the guy will be lucky to get $1.50¢ for his honesty.

osoab
31st August 2011, 03:24 PM
Something seems fishy with this story besides the guy being a dolt.

Who is harvesting broccoli in Illinois @ the 1st of September?

Why would you spend your last 10 bucks on smokes and proclaim it?

Dogman
31st August 2011, 03:26 PM

Why would you spend your last 10 bucks on smokes and proclaim it? ? With the weather the way it has been , the growing season in his area may have been late??

osoab
31st August 2011, 03:29 PM
? With the weather the way it has been , the growing season in his area may have been late??

It has been way to hot for broccoli to be grown outside. He may have just seedlings out buy they wouldn't produce for another few weeks for the fall crop.

I don't think he could be harvesting at this time of year. He is about 200 miles north of me or so, with the exception of more rain up north, the temps have been comparable.

Uncle Salty
31st August 2011, 03:35 PM
No Country for old Men.

If you saw it, you would turn in the money as well.

Cebu_4_2
31st August 2011, 03:38 PM
Boating accident on the way to the police station?

sirgonzo420
31st August 2011, 03:45 PM

Why would you spend your last 10 bucks on smokes and proclaim it?

Nah; all those things are explained by him being a dolt.

osoab
31st August 2011, 03:50 PM
Nah; all those things are explained by him being a dolt.

Touche

ximmy
31st August 2011, 05:23 PM
No Country for old Men.

If you saw it, you would turn in the money as well.

Anton says, "It will be brought to me and placed at my feet."
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/gnotleo/Anton.jpg

keehah
31st August 2011, 11:13 PM
I planted broccoli seedlings in spring with most everything else. Been harvesting all summer and it keeps growing back.
In the picture, his brussels sprouts look just like mine.

But I only have found a nickel and a couple pennies in my garden. :)

And its probably worth the trouble to tuck one's shirt in when the press is coming over to take one's picture.

Mouse
1st September 2011, 12:02 AM
Those plants in the picture are some nice looking broccoli's. Guy is probably connected somehow, but the broccoli looks legit :)

vacuum
1st September 2011, 01:14 PM
Hm. He had legitimate concerns about keeping it, both the possibility that the person would come back for the money, and the possibility of serving prison time if found with the money.

The best thing he could do is to think for a few days. Determine what the law says about how he can claim it, and if possible, take the appropriate actions.

If that wasn't an option, take the money and ditch it somewhere. If the guy comes back tell him you gave it to the police. You won't get caught because you won't spend it. You can't get in trouble because all you did was remove it off your property and ditch it somewhere. In 5 years if nothing comes of it, then its probably yours.

Neuro
1st September 2011, 01:35 PM
In 5 years if nothing comes of it, he could probably buy a couple of pounds of broccoli for $150.000...

solid
1st September 2011, 02:29 PM
I hope this guy gets to claim the money. It was found on his property, if the rightful owner is not found...it should be his.

Personally, I think some of the comments are being to hard on this guy. He found the money, knew if wasn't his, and did what he felt was the right thing. Sounds like it's drug money, to me. A bank robbery would not make out with that much cash. I also bet whoever left it will be returning for it. So, the article gets media attention and the drug dealers know that the money is in the hands of the police. Maybe, plus the contact card left at the scene.

We'll see. Bottom line, this guy may have not done the smartest thing....but the world is a better place because honest folks like this exist.

I wish this man the best, if anyone deserves a good reward in life it's him.

osoab
1st September 2011, 02:36 PM
I hope this guy gets to claim the money. It was found on his property, if the rightful owner is not found...it should be his.

Personally, I think some of the comments are being to hard on this guy. He found the money, knew if wasn't his, and did what he felt was the right thing. Sounds like it's drug money, to me. A bank robbery would not make out with that much cash. I also bet whoever left it will be returning for it. So, the article gets media attention and the drug dealers know that the money is in the hands of the police. Maybe, plus the contact card left at the scene.

We'll see. Bottom line, this guy may have not done the smartest thing....but the world is a better place because honest folks like this exist.

I wish this man the best, if anyone deserves a good reward in life it's him.

Maybe he kept the third bag.