PDA

View Full Version : Family recipes

muffin
3rd September 2011, 10:54 AM
I thought I'd see if anyone has any "family" recipes they'd like to share.

My dad's dad sort of put together a spice mix that he's used for a very long time. It's passed around and used in just about all his kids' and grandkids' kitchens. It's good on burgers, chicken, in soups, etc. (Especially burgers!!)

Rich's Seasoning

2 tbsp - onion salt, garlic salt, Season All, and Accent

1 tbsp - black pepper

1/4 tsp - cayenne

Mix ingredients in a very WELL ventilated room or do it outside. It will choke you!!

I usually double the recipe to have a good amount on hand.

I've omitted the Accent before, but it just didn't taste the same to me. That could be because I've eaten it my whole life with it. Feel free to take it out if you want.

And his wife makes an awesome rice pilaf using this seasoning.

Patsy's Rice Pilaf

1/2 stick (or more) butter
1 onion, chopped
3-4 garlic buds, chopped
1 cup rice
2 cups chicken broth, hot
Rich's seasoning to taste

Melt butter in rice pot. Add onion and garlic and sautee until wilted looking. Add rice and let slightly brown, stirring so as not to burn. Add hot broth and Rich's seasoning (about 1 tsp or more to taste; don't over do it though). When bubbly looking, put on tight fitting lid, turn heat down to low and cook for 20 minutes. Turn heat off and let pot sit for 5-10 minutes before removing lid. Open and fluff up the rice.

I like to make this pilaf with this lemon chicken (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-with-lemon-sauce/detail.aspx) recipe...

Chopped celery also takes good in this, as well as red and green bell peppers, and cooked chicken after rice is cooked.

Another recipe that I got from an awesome little coffee shop in Redondo Beach - a twist on the chicken salad sandwich. Sort of play it by ear. The girl didn't really have a recipe, per se. She just made it by memory....

Curry Chicken

Cook chicken breast in garlic salt, black pepper, onion powder and curry powder.

Shred chicken; add slivered almonds which have been baked in curry powder.

Mix with shredded carrots and add mayo for consistency.

This stuff is good on dark bread like rye. Mmmm...

beefsteak
3rd September 2011, 12:24 PM
Muffin,

The wife says thanks. Especially for that Curry Chicken recipe. She also said, she understood why it doesn't taste right w/out Accent. That's mono-sodium-glutamate, and she'll be leaving that out as well.

MSG = an Excito-toxin that is well-known. Surgeon, Dr. Russell Blaylock has written at great length about excito-toxins, and the various names they are labelled under on food labels.

Thanks, again, from me and the Mrs. Looks like I'm getting some Curry Chix tonight for supper. :cool:

beefsteak

muffin
3rd September 2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I new it wasn't good. That's why I tried to leave it out. I might just do it anyways.... I'll get used to it eventually.

You're more than welcome! I love sharing recipes. I have lots more.

MNeagle
3rd September 2011, 02:16 PM
I read a while back that meat tenderizer was good for stings (bees, mosquitos, etc.). So I saw some store-brand "Meat Tenderizer" on sale. I grabbed several, as they were only .50 each. It wasn't until I was home that I read the label: MSG. Hmmm. Do you suppose it's as terrible if it's applied ON your skin, instead of ingesting it?

I thought it'd be a cheap prep item to have for the first aid kit, but maybe not!

beefsteak
3rd September 2011, 04:00 PM
MN,
there's only 1 meat tenderizer recommended in the sports magazines. They were the first ones I ever read where they talked about it for stings. And I've used it successfully in past years on the meanest deer fly stings, wasps and bee stings, yes mosquitoes, etc. The brand you want is "Adolph's Meat Tenderizer." The reason for Adolph's only is that theirs is the only one, at least that I know of, which is made with Papain extracted from the papaya fruit. That's the part that makes the sting stop. Even the local ER Room emergency nurse who we call if something really wierd bites us, like a black widow or a brown (violin) spider says to use it. Ditto on rattle snake bites.

If applied to a rattlesnake bite, it literally starts to immediately ooze the venom right out of the 2 puncture wounds, right in front of your eyes.

We keep a shaker in the car, in the truck, in the SUV, in the motorhome, in the kitchen, in the bathroom, close by in the shed out back. In otherwords, I have that stuff all over the place. And I've shared it with many people at the ballgames whose babies and older kiddies are getting mercilessly bit all over. Doesn't take more than a few drops of water (or spit if you're desparate) to work it into the bite site. And besides that, it actually feels good to "scratch the itch" with the abrasive like grit while you're working it in.

The other thing in our preps? Is a 12V DC portable battery charger like you find at WallyWOrld, and Car suppliers, etc. The application of a 12v jolt to the point where a venomous bite occurs also mitigates the deadly action in short order. I've forgotten why now, but the wife got seriously bit while I was mowing the yard one day a while back. I grab that charger and did the +/- contact thing to her bite just above the ankle on the top of her foot. She had almost instant relief. The bite never swelled any longer, nor itched/burned either one. And when it was but a memory, there was a small brownish divot where it occurred that she has on her to this day.

We keep small alligator clips and a small supply of 9v batteries around for smaller bites, same application. And you can get one of those small household AA/AAA/C/D/9volt Solar Battery Charger units from Harbor Freight for around $15. Never sorry about having more than one of them around!

Hope this helps.

beefsteak

MNeagle
3rd September 2011, 04:02 PM
Yes, extremely interesting!