PDA

View Full Version : Op NANOOK Canadian Air Crash Drill 'Just' Happens to go live

keehah
19th September 2011, 07:42 AM
Caught this on CBC today. Survivor of the air crash tells "how lucky she was" that assistance came quickly when government rescue forces were at the same airport at the same time preparing to practice the same thing, when her commercial air flight crashed a few km short of the runway killing most on board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Air_Flight_6560

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/FAB_B732_C-GNWN_at_Cambridge_Bay_Airport.JPG/230px-FAB_B732_C-GNWN_at_Cambridge_Bay_Airport.JPG
First Air Flight 6560 was a charter flight being operated by Boeing 737-200 registered C-GNWN, a passenger-cargo convertible (combi) aircraft on 20 August 2011 when it crashed approximately 2 km (1.2 mi) from Resolute, Nunavut, Canada. Of the fifteen people on-board (eleven passengers and four crew), twelve were killed and three injured.

The three survivors, one a seven year old girl, were medivaced to Iqaluit. The last radio call was received at 12:40 PM CDT (17:40 UTC), at which time the aircraft was, according to First Air, about 8 km (5.0 mi) from Resolute Bay Airport, and the aircraft crashed some 10 minutes later..

Accident

The aircraft was operating a charter flight from Yellowknife Airport, Northwest Territories, Canada to Resolute Bay Airport, Nunavut. It was carrying four crew and eleven passengers.The aircraft crashed on approach to Resolute Bay, killing twelve people. The weather at the time was reported to be poor. The Canadian Forces were conducting Operation Nanook 2011 nearby, which was about to simulate an air disaster in the Resolute Bay area. The operation was suspended and those taking part assisted in the rescue efforts.

Canada Command - OP Nanook 2011
http://www.canadacom.forces.gc.ca/daily/archive-nanook11-eng.asp

Op NANOOK is a whole-of-government operation. It is a combined, joint and integrated operation conducted with the participation of regional and local organizations, other government departments and CF personnel, ships, equipment and aircraft from the Navy, Army, Air Force, Special Forces and the Canadian Rangers working under Joint Task Force North (JTFN)...

In this Canadian Forces (CF) photo, taken 16 August 2011, near Resolute Bay, Nunavut, Able Seaman Adam Mullin, with the Fleet Diving Unit Atlantic, drives the Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat (RHIB) back to shore from an iceberg during Operation NANOOK 11: One of three annual Northern operations directed by Canada Command with the assistance of Joint Task Force North (JTFN) that was organized to take place this year in Resolute Bay, from 4-26 August.

These annual CF operations in the North serve to demonstrate sovereignty and hone the capabilities of the CF and its partners to respond to a crisis in the austere and unique environment of the North. In 2011, participants of Op NANOOK were scheduled to perform a sovereignty patrol and execute a whole-of-government response to both a simulated air disaster and a marine emergency exercise. This year, out of respect for the community and to support further investigations into the crash, the CF concluded exercises associated with Operation Nanook 11 on 22 August, after First Air Flight 6560 crashed into a hill near the Resolute Bay airport on 20 August 2011. The tragedy killed twelve people on board and injured three. Due to the CF’s proximity to the event they were quickly on site to provide immediate and critical assets and support to the three remaining survivors of the crash.

Glass
19th September 2011, 07:47 AM
So the question is, who was the whistle blower on board?

Co-incidence is a curious thing. If it happens a lot it's less of a co-incidence.

keehah
19th September 2011, 07:54 AM
The Queen's representative was in town, got to "witness first hand" the live drill.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/nunavut-town-reeling-after-plane-crash-kills-12/article2136238/

“You can see them out there picking up things, parts, right now,” she said. “It is not a pretty scene. I feel for the families. That plane just went right into the side of the mountain.”

The military was quick to respond, having already planned for Resolute to be the staging ground for a mock plane crash as part of an operational exercise, said Ron Elliott, the local MLA. Mr. Elliott said when he first heard the mayday call come over the radio, he thought there must be confusion from someone who didn't know it was just an exercise...

Major Gerald Favre at the northern search and rescue centre at CFB Trenton said aircraft brought in for the exercise are assisting with the rescue, and the crashed plane was not part of Operation Nanook.

Chris Krepski, spokesman for the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, said investigators were on the scene soon after the crash. They were already in Resolute, scheduled to participate next week in the military exercise...

Just two days ago, the head of First Air, Scott Bateman, issued a press release that the airline had passed a safety audit conducted by the Flight Safety Foundation.

The weather was rainy with a low cloud ceiling, typical for the region this time of year.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is scheduled to travel to Resolute Bay on Monday for his annual trip to the Arctic while Governor-General David Johnston, who is currently touring the Arctic, was in Resolute ahead of the annual community day on Sunday.

“I was able to witness first hand the professionalism and dedication of our Canadian Forces and civilian organizations as they responded quickly and effectively to this catastrophe,” Mr. Johnston said in a news release.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragic event.”

keehah
19th September 2011, 08:23 PM
Some more background.

http://www.canadacom.forces.gc.ca/spec/nanook11-eng.asp

Operation Nanook 11 is a Joint (Navy, Army, Air Force and Special Forces), integrated (working with Whole of Government partners) and combined (multi-national) operation working under the authority of Canada Command, the military command responsible for all routine and contingency operations in Canada and continental North America. During Operation Nanook 2011 the whole-of-government focus will be on a response to a simulated major air disaster and a maritime rescue event in Canada’s Northwest Passage.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=3905

Minister MacKay Oversees Canadian Forces Personnel Participating In Operation Nanook 11

NR - 11. 097 - August 18, 2011

RESOLUTE BAY, Nunavut - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, arrived in Resolute Bay, Nunavut, to visit Canadian Forces personnel participating in Operation NANOOK 11, the annual operation in Canada’s North aimed at providing a visible presence in the region and to showcase Canada’s ability to defend its Arctic sovereignty.

“Operation NANOOK is the largest ever military exercise in Canada’s North and is a visible demonstration of our government’s resolute commitment to protect Canadian sovereignty in Canada’s rugged Arctic region,” said Minister MacKay...

This year’s operation is a joint Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force operation, integrated with whole-of -government partners and combined with international partners from the US Coast Guards and the Royal Danish Navy working under the lead of Canada Command, the military command responsible for all routine and contingency operations in Canada and continental North America.
http://www.cfna.dnd.ca/nr-sp/bg-11-001-nanook-eng.asp

PARTICIPANTS

Joint Task Force (North) is one of six Regional Joint Task Forces reporting to Canada Command in Ottawa. Joint Task Force (North) is responsible for the conduct of all routine and contingency operations in Canada's Arctic. Joint Task Force (North) is headquartered in Yellowknife, NWT, and commanded by Brigadier-General Guy Hamel.

Operation NANOOK 11 will involve more than 1100 participants from the Canadian Forces Navy, Army, Air and Special Forces. In addition, over 100 personnel from other participating countries will take part.

Participants include:

The Canadian Forces. Elements from, or entire units, as listed below:

Canada Command Headquarters, Ottawa
Joint Task Force (North) Headquarters, Yellowknife
Canadian Operational Support Command, Ottawa
Canadian Special Operations Forces Command, Ottawa
HMCS ST JOHN’S (340), Halifax
HMCS MONCTON (708), Halifax
HMCS SUMMERSIDE (711), Halifax
Composite Dive Team (CDT)
Arctic Response Company Group from 37 Canadian Brigade Group, Moncton
Immediate Response Unit from 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment, Quebec City
1 Canadian Ranger Patrol Group, Yellowknife
5 Canadian Ranger Patrol Group, Halifax
Joint Force Air Component Commander, 1 Canadian Air Division Winnipeg
8 Air Communications and Control Squadron, 8 Wing Trenton
405 Maritime Patrol Squadron (CP-140 Aurora), 14 Wing Greenwood
429 Transport Squadron (CC-177 Globemaster III), 8 Wing Trenton
435 Transport and Rescue Squadron (CC-130 Hercules), 17 Wing Winnipeg
436 Transport and Rescue Squadron (CC-130 Hercules), 8 Wing Trenton
425 Tactical Fighter Squadron (CF-18 Hornet), 3 Wing Bagotville
438 Tactical Helicopter Squadron (CH-146 Griffon), St. Hubert
440 Transport Squadron (CC-138 Twin Otter), Yellowknife
4th Air Defence Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery (UAV), Gagetown
Canadian Forces Land Advance Warfare Centre, 8 Wing Trenton
Other Governmental Departments:

Canadian Coast Guard, Central and Arctic Region
CCGS Des Groseilliers
CCGS Henry Larsen
CCGS Terry Fox
Marine Communications and Traffic Services Iqaluit
Public Safety Canada, Arctic Region, and Government Operations Centre, Ottawa
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Transport Canada
Canadian Transportation Safety Board
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
Natural Resources Canada
Environment Canada
Canadian Ice Service
The Government of Nunavut
Municipal partners:

Communities of Resolute Bay, Pond Inlet, Grise Fjord, and Iqaluit
Corporate Partner:

FIRST AIR
Volunteer organization:

Civil Air Search and Rescue Association (CASARA)
International partners:

United States Coast Guard
USCGC Willow (WLB 202)
Royal Danish Navy
HDMS Hvidbjœernen (F360)
HDMS Ejnar Mikkelsen (P571)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USCGC_Willow_during_Operation_Nanook_2011_-a.jpg
________
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2011/08/22/f-resolute-crash-victims.html

CBC News has compiled a list of those who died in the crash.

Marty Bergmann ..An acclaimed Arctic researcher, Marty Bergmann was headed to Resolute Bay to give Prime Minister Stephen Harper a tour of a new research facility. The father of four was director of Natural Resources Canada's Polar Continental Shelf Program and lived in Winnipeg.

...Michael Rideout, 65, lived in Mount Pearl, Nfld. but regularly commuted to work in Canada's North. Rideout was an electrician at the South Camp Inn in Resolute.

Miraculously, Rideout had survived another plane crash three years ago, along with Ches Tibbo, who also died when flight 6560 went down on Aug. 20. Rideout was also on a plane that crashed 30 years ago in Churchill Falls in Labrador. Rideout had an enduring fear of flight as a result.

"He told me when you get on these planes there's no guarantee," his wife, Anne Rideout, said, adding that her husband continued to fly despite his fears because he needed to earn a living.

Rideout also said her husband planned to retire in December.

_________

Video of Interview at link. Interviewed by Bilderberger who knew Marty Bergmann.
16-18 minutes is interesting. The first half her denial (they were able to hear the town and uninjured enough to walk to it, or be rescued by locals) the second her 'mistaken recollection'.

Survivor says Resolute plane crash 'came out of nowhere' (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2011/09/18/resolute-bay-crash-survivor.html)
CBC News Posted: Sep 19, 2011

A survivor of last month's plane crash in Resolute Bay, Nunavut says there were no signs of trouble before the plane went down.

"There was no sights, no smells, there [were] no noises. It was completely sudden and violent, but the key is that it was sudden. It just came out of nowhere," Nicole Williamson told the CBC's Peter Mansbridge in an exclusive interview from her parents’ home in Ottawa.

"As soon as the impact occurred, my instincts, my guess, caused me to put my hands up in front of my face and I saw the plane come apart. I'm convinced the plane came apart exactly where I was sitting."

Nicole Williamson, seen here in an interview with the CBC's Peter Mansbridge, was one of three survivors in the Resolute Bay, Nunavut, plane crash. (CBC)

Williamson, a 23-year-old geology student at Ottawa’s Carleton University who was on her way to start a job in Resolute, was one of only three survivors in the Aug. 20 crash of First Air Flight 6560 that killed 12 people. The plane came down on a hill near the airport in Resolute Bay.

The Boeing 737-200 was descending through thick fog when Williamson says it just fell apart.

She said she was conscious the entire time, so she remembers everything vividly. She said her first movement after the crash was rolling on her left-hand side, while still strapped in to her seat.

"I felt like I had just been through a spin cycle and I was just beaten to a pulp and swelling by the second," she said.

The swelling was centred in her crushed foot and fractured pelvis. But instead of pain, she was focused on the aroma of mud, jet fuel and burning metal. Then she began to hear the crackle of flames.

"And what got me to unbuckle my seatbelt and get up was that I heard Gabrielle not very far, and I heard her calling out and crying."
"I can say without a word of a lie, the stories I've most appreciated doing, felt the most excitement doing … were stories I did in the Canadian Arctic — all of which were inspired by Marty Bergmann," -Peter Mansbridge
"Thanks to the herculean efforts of first responders, including members of the Canadian Armed Forces, lives were saved that otherwise might have been lost." -PM Harper (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/08/21/resolute-bay-plane-crash.html)

keehah
6th October 2011, 01:21 AM
Northerners on edge after rash of plane crashes (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2011/10/05/north-plane-crash-concerns.html)
TSB says there are no common links between the accidents
CBC News Posted: Oct 5, 2011

People flying in the Northwest Territories are on edge after a tragic plane crash killed two people Tuesday.

The plane crashed near Lutselk’e, N.W.T., which is a fly-in community about 200 kilometres east of Yellowknife, N.W.T. There are two survivors who are getting treatment at a hospital in Edmonton.

This is just the latest in a cluster of plane crashes in the North, where many fly to work. There have been three crashes and one controlled landing in just seven weeks. In total, 16 people have died as a result.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada is investigating all four accidents. The board says at this point there are no common links and no reason for people to stop flying in the North.

"I realize we have had several accidents fairly close together,” said Wray Tsuji from the TSB...