PDA

View Full Version : Should We Be Concerned That Federal Agents Are Raiding IHOP Restaurants?

Large Sarge
20th September 2011, 01:05 PM
http://consumerist.com/2011/09/should-we-be-concerned-that-federal-agents-are-raiding-ihop-restaurants.html

rutti tutti fresh and wtf?Should We Be Concerned That Federal Agents Are Raiding IHOP Restaurants?
By Chris Morran on September 20, 2011 1:16 PM 0 views

(StarsApart)
Of all the places one would expect to see IRS, FBI and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents storming through the doors, an IHOP in Ohio. That's why it's even more bizarre to hear that very thing went down today inside at least seven IHOPs.

According to the Toledo Blade, four of the raided IHOPs were in the Toledo area. While authorities couldn't share details with the paper on what the raids are looking for, it is believed that no one has been arrested. Reporters spotted federal agents and local sheriff's deputies removing "white, office-style boxes" and placing them into unmarked vehicles.

Some detail from employees who came to work this morning, only to find federal agents waiting where hungry diners would normally be:

“[An] assistant manager of the restaurant, said agents with badges and guns arrived shortly after 6 a.m. He said the agents told him to stay still and allow them to search the place and gave no details on why they were searching the restaurant. After taking out boxes, the agents left about 10:30 a.m.

[Another man] who also works at the IHOP on West Central, said he was ordered immediately to put his hands up in the air when he reported for work Tuesday morning.

"I walked through the door and I thought I was going downtown," he said.

The employees said there were no customers in the restaurant while the search was conducted.

One pair of pancake-hungry patrons were turned away by police officers. "He said all IHOPs were closed," one of them tells the Blade.

UPDATE: A rep for IHOP released the following statement Consumerist:

“We were informed today by one of our franchisees about the events at his restaurants in OH and IN.

We are working to gather the facts and have been in touch with the federal authorities, although we have not been briefed on the matter.

We are cooperating fully with the authorities as we seek to gain an understanding of this situation.

Agents raid 7 IHOP restaurants, 6 in Ohio [ToledoBlade.com]

Thanks to P.J. for the tip!

Gaillo
20th September 2011, 01:12 PM
We are working to gather the facts and have been in touch with the federal authorities, although we have not been briefed on the matter.

We are cooperating fully with the authorities as we seek to gain an understanding of this situation.

Translation: If we lick their boots clean enough, maybe they'll leave us alone and won't be back!

Ponce
20th September 2011, 01:14 PM
Looks to me like if someone paid their bill with cash instead of a credit card......they were trying to find out who it was.

Twisted Titan
20th September 2011, 01:31 PM
I have to agree.......

They only come out in force like that when they aint getting their cut

osoab
20th September 2011, 01:44 PM
A franchisee that wasn't paying his tax bill?

basplaer
20th September 2011, 02:31 PM
Were they serving raw milk or some such terra-ist activity?

osoab
20th September 2011, 02:51 PM
http://www.wtol.com/story/15503721/police-raid-ihop

TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - Several IHOP locations are re-opening after seven IHOP locations in Ohio and Indiana were raided early Tuesday morning by the FBI, Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency and local police.

Officials with Homeland Security tell us the investigation is currently sealed and cannot release any additional information.
A well-placed source with Toledo Police Department tells WTOL 11 the investigation surrounds allegations of money laundering and possibly undocumented workers.

This source also told us there may be allegations of terrorism, but a spokesperson with IHOP's corporate office says they have been told there are no terrorism links.

Locations that were raided:

- Talmadge Road in west Toledo
- Fremont-Pike location in Perrysburg
- Airport Highway in Springfield Township
- Central Avenue in Sylvania Township near McCord road
- An IHOP in Lima, Ohio
- An IHOP in Findlay, Ohio
- An IHOP in Evansville, Indiana

Homeland Security confirms search warrants were executed at 6 a.m.

All seven of the restaurants are owned by Terry Elk. Elk is from our area and WFIE, our sister station in Evansville, Indiana, confirmed Terry Elk's real name is Tarek Elkafrawi.

The FBI told WTOL they raided two homes and two storage units have also been searched. A source tells us the storage units were rented by Maazen Kadir.

According to the Better Business Bureau website, Kadir is the primary contact for the Talmadge Road location and is listed as the area managerWTOL reporters witnessed FBI agents removing many boxes from the locations. It is unknown what the boxes contain.

Elkafrawi was at a national meeting of IHOP store owners this morning and is now on his way back to our area.

IHOP also said they have been in contact with the FBI and the other authorities and, again, IHOP is saying they have been told this investigation is not related to terrorism.

Why is H.S. in on this? Just about every story I see now has DHS involved.

midnight rambler
20th September 2011, 03:07 PM
http://www.wtol.com/story/15503721/police-raid-ihop

Why is H.S. in on this? Just about every story I see now has DHS involved.

Considering we apparently now have a fascist govt., surely you comprehend what Homeland Security is all about.

http://fcsgoa.homestead.com/security_guard.gif

Hatha Sunahara
20th September 2011, 03:26 PM
They could be looking for evidence to destroy in the process of covering up a crime. I think the FBI is covering up a lot of crimes--like the OKC bombing and the first bombing of the WTC, as well as 911. There is no way anybody in the FBI would believe the 19 Arab hijacker story. They know a whole lot of stuff the general public doesn't even dream of. Maybe they think evidence at the I HOP needs to be controlled by them. But of course the FBI couldn't be used for political purposes. Nobody arrested? Carrying out boxes? They gotta be on the hunt for evidence.

Hatha

osoab
20th September 2011, 03:29 PM
I have read comments that say some the IHOP's might have been mob fronts at one time.

palani
20th September 2011, 04:53 PM
Nobody arrested? Carrying out boxes? They gotta be on the hunt for evidence.

Hatha

The search for Jimmy Hoffa continues.