PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: Shotguns and scoping

Awoke
21st September 2011, 07:45 AM
So I am getting set up for a deer hunt in a "Shotgun only" area.

My Shotgun is a tactical home defender. It has an 18 inch barrel, smooth bore, full cylinder bore. (No choke at all)

I am intending on shooting with high-quality rifled slugs.

I put a 1x-4x scope on it, and at 50 yards I was not getting any repeatability. I spoke with a friend about this, and he said that with my gun I would be lucky to get 6 inch grouping at 25 yards.

Does everyone agree with this sentiment? Am I expecting more accuracy than my full cylindar bore gun can deliver?

Anyone who has experience with smooth bore scoped hunting or sighting, please chime in.

Thanks!

chad
21st September 2011, 08:21 AM
my opinion: rifled slugs are fine for smooth bore, but you'll need a choke if you want any real accuracy. my understanding is that your setup would probably work best with an improved cylinder. if you don't have the ability to add a choke, you're not going to get any better than what your friend said.

i hunt a lot in southern iowa with shotgun guys, and this is wht i've alway been told. shoot black powder myself, so i am just passing along third party gossip.

SLV^GLD
21st September 2011, 08:30 AM
Am I expecting more accuracy than my full cylindar bore gun can deliver?

I have no more experience than range time with a similar shotgun and similar slugs and the simple answer to your question is "yes".
You can spend the money for a purpose machined >18" barrel that accepts chokes and switch them out as needed. However, barrels are just about as expensive as whole shotguns and I found it more economical to buy a shotgun specifically for hunting and left the home defender alone.

big country
21st September 2011, 09:38 AM
I got about the same accuracy as you described with a .410 shooting slugs from a smoothbore barrel no ability to add chokes. I shot it at the range and could hardly get it to hit on a 3' x 4' peice of paper at 25 yards. It was TERRIBLE. I gave up after that. I then got an 870 combo (rifled barrel and smoothbore) and the rifled barrels shoots slugs like a DREAM! I've only shot them at the range though as I too, like chad, shoot black powder exclusively for deer now. I never took the shotgun deer hunting, only at the range and it shot fine. (non-rifled slugs of course since I have a rifled barrel)

In short, you could try a different brand of slugs to see if that helps...It could be the ammo. If that doesn't help you dont have many more options other then a barrel that can accept chokes or getting a rifled barrel for it (my choice...)

Awoke
21st September 2011, 10:14 AM
Choke is the only option. This particular shotgun doesn't have a rifled barrel available for it.

osoab
21st September 2011, 10:56 AM
Choke is the only option. This particular shotgun doesn't have a rifled barrel available for it.

Is a cheap Mossberg (Used or New) with a rifled barrel an option?

Why change around your home defense shotty?

Awoke
21st September 2011, 11:33 AM
Oh, I am just wondering what kind of patterning I can expect with it, when shooting slugs.

I just don't have the cash to go buy a new shotgun right now, so I am stuck with this one. I might just borrow one off a friend though. I have lots of friends with guns.

Awoke
26th September 2011, 12:22 PM
OK so I got out again the other day and tried scoping it in again, with a fresh start.

First shot I took was about about 12 yards away, and it was off tothe right pretty hard.
So I reeled it in and tried a gain; bullseye.

Backed up to 50, shot, 4 inches to the right. Made an adjustment, and got 3 shots that were a 4 inch pattern with one in the bullseye, so I walked away with that.

Now that I have done this a couple times, I feel better about it. Going to buy taller scope mounts and do it all over again, because the existing scope mounts block my iron sights. Live and learn.

midnight rambler
27th September 2011, 08:43 PM
Are you using Foster style or Brenneke slugs? You will likely get better results with the latter.

Awoke
27th September 2011, 08:48 PM
Rottweil slugs. They're high quality.
But I know that sometimes even the best bullets will not group as good as the cheapest. It always depends on the gun. Guns are like snowflakes.

I brought my rig into the shop tonight to buy new scope mounts and install a new front sight post, so I have to go and zero that bad boy in again now anyways, but it's something I am growing to enjoy doing. The old scope mounts were lower and I couldn't get a line of sight on my irons, so I raised the scope up with some open-style mounts so I can use either scope or irons. Nice. I'm really excited about it actually. The gun looks like a zombie killing machine.

osoab
28th September 2011, 04:54 PM
Rottweil slugs. They're high quality.
But I know that sometimes even the best bullets will not group as good as the cheapest. It always depends on the gun. Guns are like snowflakes.

I brought my rig into the shop tonight to buy new scope mounts and install a new front sight post, so I have to go and zero that bad boy in again now anyways, but it's something I am growing to enjoy doing. The old scope mounts were lower and I couldn't get a line of sight on my irons, so I raised the scope up with some open-style mounts so I can use either scope or irons. Nice. I'm really excited about it actually. The gun looks like a zombie killing machine.

What kind of deer do you have up North? :)

Awoke
28th September 2011, 06:16 PM
Whitetail. They're delicious!

LastResort
29th September 2011, 04:47 AM
I know you said you had no money for another gun right now, but I would keep an eye out for a used one. Last year I picked up an old bolt action mossberg with adjustable choke off an oldtimer for $75 buck. Iron sights on it are pretty good too.

I like the idea of the over under scope mount. Thats what I have on the 30-06. Last year when I shot my buck I had no time to find it in the scope. It was on the move and I only had time to start shooting. :)

Awoke
29th September 2011, 05:06 AM
The raised scope is nice. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing or not, when you say over under, but these are the mounts I am using, Remington.

I can see the iron sights through the the oval gap, or use the scope.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS99uFqGZa-wjWdXrnc-nroWUcKsZl840Lw7J_lWP5EaVpnAwAZVqOxGqU9

LastResort
29th September 2011, 08:26 AM
Yep that exactly what I'm talking about. Gun slang runs wild. I don't know wtf people are talking about sometimes...LOL

SLV^GLD
29th September 2011, 10:49 AM
FWIW, in reference to shotguns, the term "over-under" is best reserved for a double barrel configuration where one barrel is positioned above the other as opposed to next to it. In practically all cases the over-under shotgun is break-action with dual triggers. The alternate barrel configuration is termed "side-by-side".

It is not uncommon to hear people refer to long arms which employ a rifle caliber and a shotgun gauge as over-unders but they are more appropriately termed "combination guns" and the side by side variant is correctly called a "cape gun".

Awoke
29th September 2011, 12:15 PM
I would love to get my hands on a Combination gun.

LastResort
29th September 2011, 01:21 PM
FWIW, in reference to shotguns, the term "over-under" is best reserved for a double barrel configuration where one barrel is positioned above the other as opposed to next to it. In practically all cases the over-under shotgun is break-action with dual triggers. The alternate barrel configuration is termed "side-by-side".

It is not uncommon to hear people refer to long arms which employ a rifle caliber and a shotgun gauge as over-unders but they are more appropriately termed "combination guns" and the side by side variant is correctly called a "cape gun".

Yes like the old mans over under .410/.22. Oooops I mean combination gun. I'll be sure to check the dictionary the next time I post....

SLV^GLD
29th September 2011, 03:10 PM
Just don't refer to magazines as clips you'll be okay. :)

Awoke
30th September 2011, 06:53 AM
Why not?

What is the difference between a mag and clip?

SLV^GLD
30th September 2011, 11:23 AM
Why not?

What is the difference between a mag and clip?

Magazines store rounds and feed them into the action of a gun. Clips hold rounds to feed them into magazines or cylinders.

Mosin Nagant, SKS and M1 Garand are examples of rifles that employ a clip for loading the magazine although it can also be done by hand.
Practically all revolvers can come with a clip accessory to load the cylinder.

Sometimes called stripper clips and moon clips respectively.

Awoke
30th September 2011, 11:37 AM
Ahh yes, now that you mention it, I did know that.

I'm a big fan of my SKS which used to take clips but now takes magazines.