PDA

View Full Version : WTF??! THIS IS ABSURD!! the nerve of some people! MUST READ!!

freespirit
23rd September 2011, 08:53 AM
Elderly woman suing her children for parental support

21/09/2011 7:37:00 AM

by Sameer Vasta
A B.C. woman who allegedly abandoned her son when he was 15 years old is now taking him and his siblings to court to force them to pay her parental support in her old age.

Stories about people failing to pay child support are all over the news, and even in our movies and TV shows. Stories about failing to pay parental support, on the other hand, are a lot more uncommon.

Ken Anderson from Osoyoos, British Columbia, has been fighting a legal battle with his mother since 2000 over parental support. Now elderly, she claims that Ken and his two siblings each owe her $750 a month in support.

According to the law, she has an argument: B.C.'s Family Relations Act does state that adult children are legally responsible for supporting parents that have become dependent because of age or illness.

While the case has been debated in courts for a decade, in the court of public opinion, Ken Anderson seems to be clearly within his rights to not give parental support to his mother: she left him and his siblings when he was 15 years old, and he quit school to support himself and live with other families until he was able to finally settle down.

Does a child have an obligation to support a parent that, when the child was young, abandoned the child and left him to support himself? The common sense answer here, of course, is no, but the current legal framework in B.C. doesn't make it so cut and dry.

The answer isn't necessarily to get rid of the law; there are elderly people in our society who need the support from their families to help them live fully as they grow older. Instead, there needs to be a proviso that establishes some kind of standard of care. If a parent did not care for the child growing up, then, legally, the child should not be responsible for the care of the parent.

Measuring a standard of care is a bit nebulous, but in cases like that of Ken Anderson, who hasn't had a relationship with his mother since he was 15 years old and who only emerged to ask for parental support, the answer is a little easier. While it is sad that these kinds of practices need to be legally codified and aren't just baked into our cultural and moral code, having a legal framework that understands the nuances of family dynamics is important to avoid situations like this one.

What do you think?

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee-talk/elderly_woman_suing_her_children_for_parental_supp ort/7e16189b

===this is bloody ridiculous! IMO, you want parental support? Try being a parent!!

Son-of-Liberty
23rd September 2011, 08:58 AM
that's F'ed

According to the law, she has an argument: B.C.'s Family Relations Act does state that adult children are legally responsible for supporting parents that have become dependent because of age or illness.

I thought that is what Social Insurance was for? Why are we paying for the government to do this (yeah I know they are thieves) if they are just going to shove the burden back on us.

mick silver
23rd September 2011, 09:02 AM
dam this takes the cake

Ares
23rd September 2011, 09:05 AM
Does a child have an obligation to support a parent that, when the child was young, abandoned the child and left him to support himself? The common sense answer here, of course, is no, but the current legal framework in B.C. doesn't make it so cut and dry.

If I were in that situation, I was abandoned and told by the parent that abandoned me and the state that I am obligated to pay. Then I would kindly tell said parties to go fuck themselves. You can't get money from a corpse, and I will see you in hell before you get a dime form me. I would then quit any employment I had. Work under the table, and close all bank accounts.

No income, no garnished "wages".

freespirit
23rd September 2011, 09:06 AM
thats just the gov's way of continuing to take your tax dollars without having to give anything in return. definite thievery.

just wait and see how many new cases for parental support start flooding the BC courts...

i keep thinking that if this woman had been a loving parent, and acted accordingly, then they wouldn't even have to consider taking this issue to court.

man, this one really burns my back bacon!

nunaem
23rd September 2011, 09:21 AM
i would gladly support her with a bed of nails to spend her bitter old age on.

freespirit
23rd September 2011, 09:24 AM
dam this takes the cake

doesn't it though? lol

that old lady's got some big brass balls that CLANG!!

i had to read it a couple of times because it just seemed too ridiculous...

solid
23rd September 2011, 09:31 AM
If I were in that situation, I was abandoned and told by the parent that abandoned me and the state that I am obligated to pay. Then I would kindly tell said parties to go fuck themselves. You can't get money from a corpse, and I will see you in hell before you get a dime form me. I would then quit any employment I had. Work under the table, and close all bank accounts.

Bingo...what I'd do too.

The sense of entitlement people have truly boggles my mind.

I have to shake my head with disgust, at how everything is designed these days to make us slaves. To the system, or to other people, who have no logic, ethics, or common sense enough to understand that we just want to be left alone.

Grrr...makes my blood boil.

vacuum
23rd September 2011, 09:43 AM

Tell the court's you'd be more than happy to arrange a living arrangement to take care of her, because obviously she is too frail to work. Then load her up with life insurance and let the combination of spending time with you and her own bitterness allow nature to do it's work.

Joe King
23rd September 2011, 09:54 AM
that's F'ed

I thought that is what Social Insurance was for? Why are we paying for the government to do this (yeah I know they are thieves) if they are just going to shove the burden back on us.Guess what? No matter how they slice and dice it, it's always been on us and always will be on us.

Veni, vidi...evigilavi!
23rd September 2011, 11:56 AM
Well, if there's one good thing about the violence in Mexico... you can always pay less than $100 to get someone "taken out" of the picture. Then no more worries, but I realize this may not be as easy in U.S./Canada.