PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Honey

MNeagle
10th October 2011, 01:12 PM
Just got a bunch of clover honey from the farm. Now I need a lot of recipes.

Anyone?

DMac
10th October 2011, 01:18 PM
Do you like chorizo? A fast and delicious way to server chorizo is to slice them into rounds and saute them for a few minutes in a pan with honey. Mmmm...

SLV^GLD
10th October 2011, 01:20 PM
Ever heard of blue honey?

MNeagle
10th October 2011, 01:20 PM
Is that sausage? Will have to try it, thanks.

Carbon
10th October 2011, 02:08 PM
Mix to taste, orange juice (I prefer Trader Joe's Peach, Mango, Orange - a splash of cranberry would prolly be a good addition also), honey, a small amount of dark brown sugar and soy/teriake sauce, and a small pinch of cayenne pepper in bowl (or not) - stir 'til smooth. Pour over chicken (I prefer to leave the skin on) in a roasting dish. Marinade in fridge overnight. Bake covered in hot oven until boiling - then turn heat back a bit and bake unconvered until tender/starts to brown and liquid turns into a glaze.

This also works well on a grill, you just have keep brushing the glaze on.

Heimdhal
10th October 2011, 04:14 PM
For baking you can substitute for sugar or other sweetners at a 3/4:1 ration. That is 3/4 cups honey to 1 cup sugar. Also, decrese your main liquid (water, milk, whatever the largest liquid is) by 3 tablespoons.

Reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees and increase cook time, as honey browns MUCH faster than sugar, so your stuff will look done even if it isnt.

Of course putting it in tea is a good option. Using it to cook with (in marindaes on meat, in vinagerettes, etc). Make some carmel-honey suckers. Add lemon and mint extract for cough drops.

You can check out www.allrecipes.com and you can actualy look up recipes by ingredient and that will bring up tons of recipes that use honey.

;)

MNeagle
10th October 2011, 04:20 PM
I love the sucker idea! I want to increase dramatically the honey consumption of the kids & see if it helps ward off hay-fever symptoms & colds/sore throats this winter. They would love the honey sucker idea, as they're too young to like tea w/ honey yet.

Problem w/ the allrecipe site for me, it's like going down the rabbit hole. I could spend days at that site, and never make it into the kitchen to actually cook!

muffin
11th October 2011, 07:11 AM
I've been looking up granola recipes lately. I thought it'd be better with Agave nectar but those recipes are harder to find. Alot of them call for honey tho. Maybe you could try that? Mmm love me some granola :D

MNeagle
11th October 2011, 07:19 AM
Yes, and granola bars too.

Canadian-guerilla
11th October 2011, 07:35 AM
EXPERIMENT

see what you have in the cupboards and go from there

Shami-Amourae
14th October 2011, 11:03 AM
On a stove heat up 1/3 honey, 1/3 brown sugar, and 1/3 dijon mustard. Cook till everything melts and starts to bubble, but don't let it burn. Pour it over some ham/ham steaks, and served with baked beans. It really makes a great sauce for ham.

Dijon mustard is like best friends with honey. They compliment another very well. You can mix them both 50/50 and you'll get honey-mustard dip for chicken nuggets or whatever. I have a crap load of recipes, but most don't have honey as the main ingredient.