PDA

View Full Version : cooking baked potatoes

ximmy
13th October 2011, 04:39 PM
Currently I wrap the potato in foil and cook it for 50 minutes @ 450 degrees.

The other day I was starving so I took one, forked it, and nuked it for 5 min.

Any comments on eating a nuked potato over one cooked in the oven?

JJ.G0ldD0t
13th October 2011, 04:43 PM
Comments:

Nooked potatoes < Baked potatoes.

(lolz @ forked a tater)

osoab
13th October 2011, 05:00 PM
Currently I wrap the potato in foil and cook it for 50 minutes @ 450 degrees.

The other day I was starving so I took one, forked it, and nuked it for 5 min.

Were you running your AC when you ran the oven @ 450 for 50 minutes? :p

ximmy
13th October 2011, 05:11 PM
Were you running your AC when you ran the oven @ 450 for 50 minutes? :p

Am I cooking them wrong? ...I close the kitchen door...

Dogman
13th October 2011, 05:13 PM
Am I cooking them wrong? ...I close the kitchen door... When you do that you are adding heat that your a/c will have to run/work to remove it, expensive baked tatter.

Edit: The time and temp sound ok, get a clean nail and stick in them the long way, they will cook quicker.

ximmy
13th October 2011, 05:16 PM
When you do that you are adding heat that your a/c will have to run/work to remove it, expensive baked tatter.

Edit: The time and temp sound ok, get a clean nail and stick in them the long way, they will cook quicker.

I don't cool the kitchen, I close the door off the main room.

MNeagle
13th October 2011, 05:19 PM
No, your oven method is ideal.

I've got a 'smart' micro, it has settings for popcorn, b. potatoes, frozen veggies, et al.

There are many that say microwaving is a food-killer, & I imagine it is. But, when you're getting dinner on the table for hungry mouths, I go for it ( & a lot less dishes too).

Glass
13th October 2011, 05:50 PM
i've been eating a lot of smooshed potatoes lately. boil them, melt some butter in there, then smoosh, then smooth with a drop of milk, then serve with a drowning of gravy.......hmmm. Don't have a nukalator but only cooking for 1.

The nail/skewer idea is a good one. Some people bake their potatoes then smoosh them. Not sure about that. Does give a nice creamy smoosh though.

What goes on the baked potatoe to make it palatable? cheese or sour cream?

Dogman
13th October 2011, 05:53 PM
Both!

Bit sour cream for sure!

osoab
13th October 2011, 05:54 PM
Am I cooking them wrong? ...I close the kitchen door...

I wouldn't say that. I was just making a comment about adding that much heat while you are cooling off the rest of the house. To me it seems like a waste of heat unless your whole oven is filled with taters. It was a guess on my part that you were doing the oven heat/ac thing.

I use a butter knife instead of a fork. You don't bend tines that way.

You could boil them for a bit and then finish them off the oven.

Nuking them is so much faster though.

ximmy
13th October 2011, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't say that. I was just making a comment about adding that much heat while you are cooling off the rest of the house. To me it seems like a waste of heat unless your whole oven is filled with taters. It was a guess on my part that you were doing the oven heat/ac thing.

I use a butter knife instead of a fork. You don't bend tines that way.

You could boil them for a bit and then finish them off the oven.

Nuking them is so much faster though.

During the Nuke process the tater was screaming in pain... noise from the fork holes... :p I thought, is this thing going to explode? :o

I like a slice of American cheese, or butter, or sour cream. I think the potato is a great staple and I'd like to learn how to produce them in a greenhouse.

Glass
13th October 2011, 06:01 PM
I think the potato is a great staple and I'd like to learn how to produce them in a greenhouse.

What about a potatoe tower (http://www.google.com.au/search?q=potato+tower&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a).... also I don't know why my potatoes have an "e" in them. I think I got my plurals mixed up.

o-oh ximmy you got the 222'nd thanks. ;D

Dogman
13th October 2011, 06:02 PM
During the Nuke process the tater was screaming in pain... noise from the fork holes... :p I thought, is this thing going to explode? :o

I like a slice of American cheese, or butter, or sour cream. I think the potato is a great staple and I'd like to learn how to produce them in a greenhouse. Before nuking , spread some oil/butter all over the tatter and then wrap with saran wrap.

And wear earmuffs!

Old Herb Lady
13th October 2011, 07:39 PM
Crock Pot "Baked" Potatoes

4 medium potatoes
aluminum foil

Wash and scrub potatoes until clean. Dry thoroughly. When dry, prick potatoes with a fork and wrap in aluminum foil.

Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4

JJ.G0ldD0t
13th October 2011, 08:07 PM
My fav baked potatoes are cooked in a bed of hot coals. Wrap em up good and throw them in the coals for an hour to an hour and a half.

ximmy
13th October 2011, 08:13 PM
My fav baked potatoes are cooked in a bed of hot coals. Wrap em up good and throw them in the coals for an hour to an hour and a half.

They're pretty good on the charcoal BBQ too...

I'm still trying to master potato salad like mom makes... :)

JJ.G0ldD0t
13th October 2011, 08:19 PM
They're pretty good on the charcoal BBQ too...

I'm not sure if this done in your part of the country- but here in TX, we have this tater salad that's made with mustard, green onions, hard boiled egg and red peppers... and some other crap. I don't know 'cause I'm always BBQing when that dish gets prepared - but suffice to say- its purty kik ass.

Heimdhal
13th October 2011, 08:43 PM
Foil wrapped potatos arent "baked" they are steamed. The traditional way is to simply wash them free of lose dirt, throw them on a sheet pan that has some good coarse salt sprinkled on it (dont be shy) and place the tatter on the pan and in the oven. There ya go, backed potato. Or you can the same on the grill, or next to a fire and rotate them around every now and then.

Nuking is just plain wrong and evil, like usury. However, our microwave has a potato setting and we do use it in a pinch.

Also, if you're looking to keep the kitchen cool or use less energy you can either do them on grill as mentioned, or in a toaster oven which is a good way to go energy wise or best yet, in a cast iron dutch oven with coals around it ;)

Joe King
13th October 2011, 09:09 PM
Did you ask her for the recipe?

letter_factory
13th October 2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/356hcz/

SLV^GLD
14th October 2011, 06:09 AM
If you are using aluminum foil to bake potatoes in the oven then I would say you like wasting aluminum foil.

Place cleaned potatoes (maybe some butter and salt if you wish) on the top rack positioned in the center of the oven.

Place a baking pan, possibly lined with a baking sheet or silicon mat, under the potatoes on the bottom rack to catch drippings.

Bake as usual (I do 1 hour at 350F).

Save your aluminum foil.

DMac
14th October 2011, 06:13 AM
As these guys said ^^ drop the foil. You're steaming the potato when wrapped in foil, not baking it.

Wash the potato
Stab it with a fork once or twice
Rub a small amount of oil on the potato (veg, olive, almond - choice is yours by flavor)
Place on baking pan or lay down foil
Salt as Heimy suggested
Bake at 400 for 45-60 mins.

JJ.G0ldD0t
14th October 2011, 07:19 AM
Jeebus.. this board has the highest concentration of professional hair splitters on the planet.

Potato gets hot. Potato gets cooked.

Baked or steamed - is there a difference?

Silver Rocket Bitches!
14th October 2011, 09:35 AM
It takes forever to cook a baked potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes, I'll just throw one in there, even if I don't want one. By the time it's done, who knows?

- Mitch Hedberg

DMac
14th October 2011, 10:13 AM
Jeebus.. this board has the highest concentration of professional hair splitters on the planet.

I like the skin on a baked potato to not get soggy.

Shami-Amourae
14th October 2011, 10:44 AM

You're destroying much of the nutritional when you use a microwave. Stick to an oven.

I wrote this in a post a while back:

Make your own fries, that's what I do.

The way I do it is I cut the fries by hand, then soak them in a 1 part/2 parts ratio of vinegar/water for about an hour or so. The vinegar adds flavor and dries out the potatoes the longer you leave them in the vinegar/water mixture. Feel free to modify my ratio or time based on how crispy you want them (what I'm mentioning is the perfect amount of crisp in my opinion.)

Next dry the cut potatoes on a towel and drop them into the fryer. I take them out of the fryer JUST when they start getting some color, this way the skin is dried out, but the interior is still moist. I put them on trays lined with parchment paper and stick them in the freezer. Once they are completely frozen they can be fried up just like any other french fries. Season them with salt and Old Bay Seasoning for an extra kick.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNNlxkxNcXfuaMwIgIrUi9rhi5UO7C3 n2sGfpRakWNNjW9z66t&t=1

You can do the same method as above for chips, but cut the potatoes on a Japanese mandolin to get them ultra thin, and fry them only once, not twice like you do the fries. These will make some of the best fries or chips you'll ever eat!

Shami-Amourae
14th October 2011, 10:53 AM
Also, have you ever tried sweet potatoes? I like to peel orange sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes and put them in a steamer. Once I do that I mash them with a fork, put in butter, and chopped chipotle (the canned kind.) I do about 1 chipotle chili per sweet potato. Salt and pepper to taste.

This is a much healthier, and yummier alternative, in my opinion.
http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/01/15/EA1G02_Mashed-Sweet-Potatoes_lg.jpg

This is a popular recipe amongst foodies, even Food Network covers it:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/chipotle-sweet-potatoes/video/index.html (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chipotle-smashed-sweet-potatoes-recipe/index.html)

Joe King
14th October 2011, 12:48 PM
I like the skin on a baked potato to not get soggy.You like that skin gettin' all crinkly crunchy, dont'cha? It is better that way.

Heimdhal
14th October 2011, 04:03 PM

You aint seen me split hairs till you see me shoot

:)

muffin
15th October 2011, 06:33 AM
PO-TA-TOES!! Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew!!

I nuke them about half the time. Mouse says it's blasphemy and it's not the same. Our microwave is broken right now. Not sure how I feel about this....

I usually do no foil, scrubbed, forked, rubbed with olive oil, and bake at 425 for ~60 min. I love the skin crispy :) Top with butter, s&p, sour cream, and (sometimes) shredded cheese.

I also like to make my own french fries. Sweet potato fries are awesome too! Drizzle with honey, yum!

I'm a tater lovin fool!

hoarder
15th October 2011, 06:57 AM
I don't own a microwave since I don't have grid power. Propane ovens are useless, mine gets the house hot in the summer and gassed with expired propane in the winter. Then you have to open windows. All ovens are inefficient.
I only cook taters in the winter. I simply wrap them in foil and put them inside the woodstove for an hour or so.

Taters are some of the cheapest food around, buy them in a big bag and keep them in your basement or crawl space. They keep for months at 65 degrees.

muffin
15th October 2011, 08:14 AM
I don't own a microwave since I don't have grid power. Propane ovens are useless, mine gets the house hot in the summer and gassed with expired propane in the winter. Then you have to open windows. All ovens are inefficient.
I only cook taters in the winter. I simply wrap them in foil and put them inside the woodstove for an hour or so.

Taters are some of the cheapest food around, buy them in a big bag and keep them in your basement or crawl space. They keep for months at 65 degrees.

Or if you really want the baked potatoes in the summer, make a solar oven....

Potatoes are big staple in my diet. They're my go-to most the time.

I tend to boil my taters alot. Boil them, then you can mash them, bake them, or fry them.

solid
15th October 2011, 10:05 PM
Folks, you need to man up and cook potatoes the right way. For breakfast, cut them up into squares over the stove with melted butter, add salt and pepper. Be sure to have bacon and eggs, too. You can eat breakfast, anytime of the day, for lunch and dinner. Throw in some salsa and have a fiesta.

ximmy
21st October 2011, 07:41 PM
I baked one without the foil, just brushed some grapeseed oil on it and placed it on a cookie sheet... It was better and cooked faster. ;D

chud
20th December 2011, 03:11 PM
I agree with everyone that it is not good to microwave them, but sometimes if I'm pressed for time I'll microwave a potato for just a minute, then put it in the oven. It gives the potato a bit of a "jump start" and it doesn't take nearly as long.
I know, no microwave at all is best, but if time is a factor, you can cheat a bit once in a while.

BrewTech
20th December 2011, 06:28 PM
Anybody do purple potatoes?

It's weird, they don't taste purple at all!

http://antiagingnutritionnews.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/purple_potatoes.jpg