PDA

View Full Version : 15 Companies Whose Products Contain ‘Wood Pulp’ Ingredient

Cebu_4_2
29th October 2011, 06:37 PM
Cellulose can be found in popular products ranging from crackers and ice cream to pizza sauce and barbecue sauce. What many do not realize, however, is that cellulose is actually wood pulp.

Continues at link

http://naturalsociety.com/15-companies-whose-products-contain-wood-pulp-cellulose/

Dogman
29th October 2011, 06:40 PM
Got's to have that fiber to keep the pipes clean!

osoab
29th October 2011, 06:52 PM
That is sick.

Golden
29th October 2011, 06:53 PM
Well damn.

hoarder
29th October 2011, 07:04 PM
It's probably one of the healthiest ingredients in processed food.

platinumdude
29th October 2011, 07:13 PM
Log Cabin Syrup is one of them.

Well at least they are not lying with that name.

I only use pure maple syrup myself.

vacuum
29th October 2011, 07:23 PM
The main things I try to avoid (in order of avoidance): hydrogenated oils, cottonseed oil, hfcs

Cellulose doesn't seem so bad, to me it mainly signifies overall low-quality and lack of nutrition.

Santa
29th October 2011, 08:32 PM
The main things I try to avoid (in order of avoidance): hydrogenated oils, cottonseed oil, hfcs

Cellulose doesn't seem so bad, to me it mainly signifies overall low-quality and lack of nutrition. Nutritionally, we'd be better off eating dirt.

freespirit
29th October 2011, 09:28 PM
Nutritionally, we'd be better off eating dirt.

check this out, santa...

http://geography.about.com/cs/culturalgeography/a/geophagy.htm

People around the world eat clay, dirt or other pieces of the lithosphere for a variety of reasons. Commonly, it is a traditional cultural activity which takes place during pregnancy, religious ceremonies, or as a remedy for disease. Most people who eat dirt live in Central Africa and the Southern United States. While it is a cultural practice, it also fills a physiological need for nutrients.
In Africa, pregnant and lactating women are able to satisfy the very different nutritional needs of their bodies by eating clay. Often, the clay comes from favored clay pits and it is sold at market in a variety of sizes and with differing content of minerals. After purchase, the clays are stored in a belt-like cloth around the waist and eaten as desired and often without water. The "cravings" in pregnancy for a varied nutritional intake (during pregnancy, the body requires 20% more nutrients and 50% more during lactation) are solved by geophagy.

The clay commonly ingested in Africa contains important nutrients such as: phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, copper, zinc, manganese, and iron.

The tradition of geophagy spread from Africa to the United States with slavery. A 1942 survey in Mississippi showed that...

at least 25 percent of the schoolchildren habitually ate earth. Adults, although not systematically surveyed, also consumed earth. A number of reasons were given: earth is good for you; it helps pregnant women; it tastes good; it is sour like a lemon; it tastes better if smoked in the chimney; and so on.*

Unfortunately, many African-Americans who practice geophagy (or quasi-geophagy) are eating unhealthy material such as laundry starch, ashes, chalk and lead-paint chips because of psychological need. These materials have no nutritional benefits and can lead to intestinal problems and disease. The eating of inappropriate objects and material is known as "pica."

There are good sites for nutritional clay in the Southern United States and sometimes family and friends will send "care packages" of good earth to expectant mothers in the North.

Other Americans, such as the indigenous Pomo of Northern California used dirt in their diet - they mixed it with ground acorn; this neutralized the acid.

Twisted Titan
29th October 2011, 10:03 PM
due to the lack of necessary enzymes needed to break the ingredient down, cellulose has been deemed ‘safe for consumption’ by the FDA

They would say nukes are safe if the foodmakers told them too

JohnQPublic
29th October 2011, 11:08 PM
Nutritionally, we'd be better off eating dirt.

Hey, it's high in minerals!

osoab
30th October 2011, 03:46 AM
This story came from thestreet.com. Jim Cramers site for those who didn't recognize the url.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012915/1/cellulose-wood-pulp-never-tasted-so-good.html

Cellulose adds fiber to the food, which is good for people who do not get the recommended daily intake of fiber in their diets, Inman said. It also extends the shelf life of processed foods. Plus, cellulose's water-absorbing properties can mimic fat, he said, allowing consumers to reduce their fat intake.

Inman said that in his 30 years in the food science business (http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012915/2/cellulose-wood-pulp-never-tasted-so-good.html#), he's seen "an amazing leap in terms of the applications of cellulose fiber and what you can do with it." He said powdered cellulose has a bad reputation but that more of his customers are converting from things like oat or sugar cane fibers to cellulose because it is "snow white in color, bland and easy to work with."

Most surprising, said Inman, is that he's been able to remove as much as 50% of the fat from some cookies, biscuits, cakes and brownies by replacing it with powdered cellulose -- but still end up with a very similar product in terms of taste and appearance.

"We're only limited by our own imagination," Inman told TheStreet. "I would never have dreamed I could successfully put 18% fiber in a loaf of bread two years ago."

He said cellulose is common in processed foods, often labeled as reduced-fat or high-fiber -- products like breads, pancakes, crackers, pizza crusts, muffins, scrambled eggs, mashed potato mixes, and even cheesecake. Inman himself keeps a box of Wheat Thins Fiber Selects crackers, manufactured by Kraft Foods(KFT (http://www.thestreet.com/quote/KFT.html)_ (http://www.thestreet.com/quote/KFT.html))' Nabisco brand, at his desk, and snacks on them daily, clearly unmoved by the use of wood pulp in its ingredients.

To that end, TheStreet rounded up a list of popular foods that use cellulose. It's by no means an exhaustive list, and we suggest consumers read food labels (http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012915/2/cellulose-wood-pulp-never-tasted-so-good.html#) carefully. Still, click through the slideshow to find out if your favorite foods contain the "all-natural" wood pulp... (http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012915/3/cellulose-wood-pulp-never-tasted-so-good.html)

(Please note the following lists are not exhaustive. Some companies list all ingredients on their Web sites. Other items were found in a local grocery store near TheStreet's headquarters on Wall Street in New York City.)

gunDriller
30th October 2011, 07:26 AM
i feed my chickens inkjet/copy paper (20# white stuff that comes in reams of 500) when they're inside. they love it. i listen to a webcast and feed one of them about 1 piece of paper. then they have to go back outside.

as far as eating it myself - it wouldn't hurt me. i think it's like escargot - needs garlic butter to taste good.

compared to a lot of the other stuff that goes into food - or fluoride in the drinking water - cellulose doesn't bother me. it's like sand - fairly inert. wouldn't want to eat more than a pound though.

Joe King
30th October 2011, 08:31 AM
i feed my chickens inkjet/copy paper (20# white stuff that comes in reams of 500) when they're inside. they love it. i listen to a webcast and feed one of them about 1 piece of paper. then they have to go back outside.

as far as eating it myself - it wouldn't hurt me. i think it's like escargot - needs garlic butter to taste good.

compared to a lot of the other stuff that goes into food - or fluoride in the drinking water - cellulose doesn't bother me. it's like sand - fairly inert. wouldn't want to eat more than a pound though.It may be fairly inert, but i's been shown that the average person eats over a lb of it everyday.

Santa
30th October 2011, 11:39 AM
I prefer the more natural marinated fillet of cardboard, served with a lovely newsprint tossed in a grated sawdust vinaigrette. Mmmmm, destined to become a modern American classic similar to the boiled and sauteed work boot of yesteryear.

Seriously though, eating white paper? Hasn't anyone ever smelled a paper mill? Doesn't it concern anyone that paper is made using
bleach and God knows what or how many DNA altering chemical plastics besides wood pulp?
It's bad enough to use paper coffee filters, but they're at least supposedly intended to be chemically inert and safe to use.
But that'll probably turn out be a complete lie as well.