PDA

View Full Version : Republican senators push for Internet sales taxes

hoarder
2nd November 2011, 07:37 PM
Republican senators push for Internet sales taxes

The days of tax-free Internet shopping may soon be coming to an abrupt end.
CNET has learned that two Republican senators are preparing to introduce new legislation that would allow states to force Amazon.com and other out-of-state online retailers to collect sales taxes.
Sens. Mike Enzi of Wyoming and Lamar Alexander of Tennessee are currently putting the final touches on their bill, which is backed by Wal-Mart Stores, Best Buy, Home Depot, and other companies that are currently required to collect sales taxes. It's a bipartisan concept: a related effort was embraced by Democrats including Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois a few months ago.
"It's time to close the online sales tax loophole," says Jason Brewer, a vice president at the Retail Industry Leaders Association in Arlington, Va., which represents big box stores. "Amazon and companies like it are no longer fledgling startups."
A Republican Senate aide told CNET the bill would likely appear late this week or next week.
The justification for the measure is a reprise of arguments that state tax collectors have made for at least a decade: they claim that Amazon.com, Overstock.com, Blue Nile, and other online retailers that don't collect always collect taxes are unreasonably depriving states of revenue, and that they enjoy an unfair competitive advantage over local retailers that must collect taxes...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20...xes/?tag=rtcol

sirgonzo420
2nd November 2011, 07:51 PM
Oh what a bunch of faggots!

Uncle Salty
2nd November 2011, 08:00 PM

Luciferian sodomites.

ximmy
2nd November 2011, 08:45 PM
more bricks, more bricks, and ye shall have no extra straw...

more for us... less for you...

Mouse
2nd November 2011, 09:54 PM
Nexus, bitchez! It's in that crappy piece of paper nobody has ever read.

Ares
3rd November 2011, 05:55 AM

Quit being such an Anti-Sodomite :D

JDRock
3rd November 2011, 07:32 AM
like a wino in desperate need of a drink, the sodden over-fed bastards are becoming increasingly bold in their blatant thefts (taxes).

Ares
3rd November 2011, 07:38 AM
like a wino in desperate need of a drink, the sodden over-fed bastards are becoming increasingly bold in their blatant thefts (taxes).

That's what they give us of "choices". Theft for the "common good" and theft for the state. Those are our choices.

letter_factory
3rd November 2011, 07:42 AM
I'd rather go to a brick and mortar store anyway. Half the time, when you go to buy something online, the quality is so junk you want to return it but considering the amount of time and cost to package it it's not worth it. Besides, seeing, touching, holding it in your hand and talking to a person is worth a few extra bucks.

Down1
3rd November 2011, 08:34 AM
the final touches on their bill, which is backed by Wal-Mart Stores, Best Buy, Home Depot, and other companies that are currently required to collect sales taxes.
Crony Capitalism in action.
I love buying online and these corporations are envious of a place like Blain's Farm & Fleet out in the Midwest that I can buy from.
I imagine this bill if passed will kill a lot of that business.

Ares
3rd November 2011, 09:13 AM
Crony Capitalism in action.
I love buying online and these corporations are envious of a place like Blain's Farm & Fleet out in the Midwest that I can buy from.
I imagine this bill if passed will kill a lot of that business.

That's the intent.