PDA

View Full Version : Will Anonymous Shut Down Facebook Tomorrow?

Buddha
4th November 2011, 01:38 PM
Will they?

Also, will I ever be able to spell?

Buddha
4th November 2011, 02:06 PM
Ok I'm betting that they will. I think that they need to prove that they are legit. And even if it is a FF facebook still goes down.

Dogman
4th November 2011, 02:08 PM
They may cause some pimples, but a shutdown I think not.

po boy
4th November 2011, 02:24 PM
Who cares?

Ponce
4th November 2011, 02:43 PM
I don't even know what Face Book looks like.....so I don't care.

Buddha
4th November 2011, 03:01 PM
Who cares?

Apparently you and Ponce have reading comprehension problems. I didn't ask you whether you cared or not. Do you think I give a shit? If I wanted to know if you cared or not I would have asked you in the poll.

k-os
4th November 2011, 03:46 PM
Ok I'm betting that they will. I think that they need to prove that they are legit. And even if it is a FF facebook still goes down.

Looks like, so far, you are the only one betting that they will. I think they've been a little weak lately (although I don't know if the real Anonymous made the claim to shut down the stock exchange). How do we know it's them, this time?

po boy
4th November 2011, 04:35 PM
Apparently you and Ponce have reading comprehension problems. I didn't ask you whether you cared or not. Do you think I give a shit? If I wanted to know if you cared or not I would have asked you in the poll.

Well if they didn't vote they don't care even if you don't care if they care or not.lol

Twisted Titan
4th November 2011, 08:52 PM
They cant shut down FB

The players of 100 Million Farmville and Vampire Wars will hunt the down and cull them like the savage beasts they are.

vacuum
4th November 2011, 08:56 PM
Facebook is a huge network of servers. I don't know too much about web hacking, but it seems like it would be hard to do. Unless maybe facebook allows it to happen

Twisted Titan
4th November 2011, 09:04 PM
I think they just opened bunch of New Servers near the north pole or something?

vacuum
4th November 2011, 09:44 PM
Personally, I'm more interested in their efforts to take down the zeta gang on the 5th.

osoab
5th November 2011, 04:33 AM
This is the same anonymous that claimed they were going to take down the NYSE and only messed with their site for 5 minutes, right?

I wouldn't expect much other than headline grabbing attention with no teeth behind it.

k-os
5th November 2011, 02:34 PM
This is the same anonymous that claimed they were going to take down the NYSE and only messed with their site for 5 minutes, right?

I wouldn't expect much other than headline grabbing attention with no teeth behind it.

And then denied it after the fact. Yep.

Old Herb Lady
5th November 2011, 02:54 PM
Wow first I heard of this ? I would love to see facebook go down !!!! WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO.
Does that mean I would stop getting tons of invites & I wouldn't have to hear about everybody's fake facebook lives ?
Does that mean that everytime someone takes a picture I wouldn't have to hear how excited they are that they're going home to post it on facebook ?

LIKE .

TheNocturnalEgyptian
5th November 2011, 03:04 PM
Anonymous is not one organization; it is hundreds of people loosely organized behind an idea and a mask. Some of them are immature while others are the same age as yourself. They have varying levels of skill and varying motivations for the hacks they do, and the members do not have a single leader nor do they always agree with eachother. Furthermore, anyone can (and they do) make press releases under the guise of anonymous.

A large portion of the anonymous "gang" does nothing beyond use programs. All they have to do is download these programs, punch in a website, and hit "Go". Most of these programs simply do DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack, which just means the webserver becomes too busy to accept more traffic. This is the type of attack that was used on visa/mastercard. It is insanely easy to do for anyone that reads about it for an hour.

With this in mind, it is highly unlikely that they will even scratch facebook. Facebook uses logical and geographical load-balancing, where by design, one piece of hardware sits idle waiting to take over for another piece of hardware in the event of failures. Furthermore, Facebook (unfortunately) had more web traffic than ANY OTHER PAGE IN 2010, passing even google for the first time. I'd say handling large volumes of web traffic is what they designed their business model around. A DDOS is not going to work.

In order to attack facebook, they would need to use unconventional methods. Although they are privvy to methods beyond the simple DDOS, they are unlikely to employ them due to the personal risk involved. For example, the most *thorough* way to hack facebook would be a direct social engineering hack, whereby you pose as somebody else to gain access to the physical premesis the facebook hardware is stored at. Obviously, this carries much more risk and may not be in line with the goals of anonymous. Furthermore, physical sites are redundant and the entire system is designed to keep on chugging even if an entire server farm is completely wiped out.

I have not seen any true hacking from Anonymous. I have seen them go after only the low-hanging fruit, i.e. companies and individuals who do not know enough about the web to protect themselves from even the easiest hacks. Facebook has pissed off enough real computer programmers over the years that it's pretty much a given (by their continued existence) that they have a very good digital security system in place.