PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Driver’s Licenses can be Scanned by up to 30 Feet.

Ponce
8th November 2011, 03:57 PM
I keep mine in the little envelope that the State Department sent me together with my cross border ID...cannot be read unless you take the card out.
================================================== =

Enhanced Driver’s Licenses can be Scanned by up to 30 Feet.

Posted by Site *ADMINS* on November 8, 2011 at 12:14pm
View Blog
.Enhanced Driver’s Licenses can be Scanned by up to 30 Feet
HotBedInfo, 11/08/2011

An episode on Global TV aired Sunday, January 25, 2011 about the dangers of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chips found in Enhanced Driver’s Licenses, Passports, and Credit Cards. The episode showed how anyone can put together simple electronics found online for a few dollars to grab your detailed information from as far as 30 feet away!

What is an enhanced driver’s license?

They are dual-purpose documents designed for the user’s convenience. In addition to serving as a typical driver’s license or ID card, they may be used to re-enter the U.S. at its land or sea ports when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. This flexibility speeds your passage back across the border. They verify your identity and citizenship – no other proof is needed. Enhanced driver’s licenses and ID cards are among the federally approved border-crossing documents when entering the U.S. required under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

Continue reading Enhanced Driver’s Licenses can be Scanned by up to...

http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/enhanced-driver-s-licenses-can-be-scanned-by-up-to-30-feet?xg_source=activity

willie pete
8th November 2011, 04:10 PM
I don't carry my license on my person......

palani
8th November 2011, 04:12 PM
RFID tags that are entirely passive have to be within inches of an antenna to be read. Non-passive RFIDs can send out a signal further. The difference is existence of a battery.

How do I know? I put together an e-coat system for a company 5 years ago that made use of passive RFIDs. The customer complained that they had to build their carriers to quite close tolerances or else had problems with the tag on the carrier being read. Seems while others could manage tolerances in the realm of thousandths of an inch this company had problems building components within 1/2 inch.

Ponce
8th November 2011, 04:24 PM
Palani, in terms of a new tech five years ago is equal to 100 years ago.......what they have now you will know about it five years from now and by that time they will already have something else out there that you wont know about.

palani
8th November 2011, 04:31 PM
Palani, in terms of a new tech five years ago is equal to 100 years ago.......what they have now you will know about it five years from now and by that time they will already have something else out there that you wont know about.

Let's put it this way ... if industry can't accomplish something there is no way the illiterates in government will be able to.

Cebu_4_2
8th November 2011, 04:36 PM
Okay... lets say "permanent magnet" Available at a dollar store, inside a trashed hard drive etc. Woops, swiped... again oops.

joboo
8th November 2011, 04:37 PM
Let's put it this way ... if industry can't accomplish something there is no way the illiterates in government will be able to.

Not necessarily. Military is decades ahead, and the declassified stuff years later is often what the status quo gets.

Even still I would like to see this "30ft scanning capability" demonstrated.

mightymanx
8th November 2011, 04:41 PM
The military Id's they gave us a foil holder to keep it in becasuse it could be scanned from hundreds of feet away.

Military technology is orders of magnatude more advanced in these areas

GPS was around for a decade before the public even heard of it much less log on to the "unclassified" (offset) signals they allowed you to use.

palani
8th November 2011, 04:45 PM
Not necessarily. Military is decades ahead, and the declassified stuff years later is often what the status quo gets.
The toys they play with are provided by the military Industrial complex warned of by Eisenhower many moons ago.

Many military people have trouble chewing gum and tying their shoes at the same time. They had higher quality people in the military when the draft was active.

palani
8th November 2011, 04:49 PM
GPS was around for a decade before the public even heard of it much less log on to the "unclassified" (offset) signals they allowed you to use.
Loran "C" was a definite improvement over Loran "A".

An example of military high tech is the line of buoys leading into Norfolk, Va from the ocean. The Coast Guard had to plant these buoys fairly closely together to keep the Navy guys from running aground and having reefs named after their ships.

joboo
8th November 2011, 04:50 PM
The military Id's they gave us a foil holder to keep it in becasuse it could be scanned from hundreds of feet away.

Military technology is orders of magnatude more advanced in these areas

Sounds like a "cheaped" down version of the same tech.

Between the two way audio, and video, street lamp idea, and this, it sounds like the Orwellian surveillance society is barreling right along....straight over a cliff.

mightymanx
8th November 2011, 04:52 PM

Between the two way audio, and video, street lamp idea, and this, it sounds like the Orwellian surveillance society is barreling right along....straight over a cliff.

Never fear they can vector drones to your signal when ever you need "Help"

Ponce
8th November 2011, 05:02 PM

Crap, I din't think of that........shame on Ponce.......they can have readers all over the place and make it illegal for you to block your stool pigeon of a ID card........can't even go to buy tp without them knowing about it.

freespirit
8th November 2011, 06:29 PM
how about this...you're driving to work, and you forgot your wallet at home...not necessarily a big problem. but it will be a problem when the police radar is also scanning every car for a licensed drivers. you go cruising by, oblivious to the fact you are breaking some "law", and since the cop detects no license in the moving vehicle, he pulls you over and writes you a ticket and takes a couple of points off you license.

Glass
8th November 2011, 08:22 PM
Here is how it works.

Passive RFID has no battery. It is simply an antenna and a chip with some circuitry connecting both. The antenna can be energized when an incoming radio signal is received. That energy is then provided to the chip causing it to perform it's default action which is to transmitt the contents of the chip on the approved frequency.

Because of the size and configuration of the antenna it doesn't need much energy to energise it. Less than 4 watts but 4 watts is a good number. The antenna also has a limitation of design in that it cannot transmit long distances. The frequency and residual power (from the incoming 4 watts or less) is not enough for powerful transmissions. The antenna is also very small with a small frequency wavelength so those combinations mean a shorter transmission range that the main energising tower has.

The way around this is to have lots of readers within reasonable proximity to detect the RFID's signal.

So you can have a few strategically placed transmitters within a city or regional area which can transmit the activating signal and then you have lots of small recievers dotted around the city or regional area to pick up the tranmissions by the RFIDs.

Perth is a fairly long city. It goes for about 100 kilometres along a north/south line. There are 2 CB radio repeaters which both transmitt 5 watts. Both of these can transmitt to about 75% of the city. So with one at each end of the city the whole city is covered with 50% of the city having overlapped signals from these repeaters.

I have mentioned this before. The analogue mobile/cell phone system was shut down and is being converted to an RFID transmit and receive system. They are using the same Cell phone towers which gives them a lot of coverage and close in so the signal is going to be at pretty good strentgh everywhere you go. Then all they have to do is deploy enough readers and they can be attached to anything. Streetlights, traffic lights, bus stops, road signs, cats eyes embedded in the road. You name it.

The RFID's are going be constantly triggered by this main RFID transmission system and if they happen to be close to a reader at the time then it will ping.

I recall reading that RFID's had been incorporated into new cars for about the last 3 or so years at that time. This was at least 2 and possibly 3 years ago now.

mightymanx
8th November 2011, 08:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X034R3yzDhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X034R3yzDhw

Glass
8th November 2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks. Worth remembering that these guys are stooges. There's been a few they won't touch. Still then calling it Myth Busted doesn't stand for much. When non scientific investigative entertainment is the last word on whether something is true of not..... well you've got problems IMO.

Without going too OT, I think the episode where they masked up as the other guy to see if they could fool people was one of the funniest episodes I can recall. Seeing Adam dancing around in the shop looking like Jamie was hysterical although it probably only works if you watch the show a bit and know the characters.

sunshine05
8th November 2011, 08:38 PM
Oops. I think mine "accidentally" got hit with a hammer.

vacuum
8th November 2011, 09:36 PM
Here is how it works.

Passive RFID has no battery. It is simply an antenna and a chip with some circuitry connecting both. The antenna can be energized when an incoming radio signal is received. That energy is then provided to the chip causing it to perform it's default action which is to transmitt the contents of the chip on the approved frequency.

Because of the size and configuration of the antenna it doesn't need much energy to energise it. Less than 4 watts but 4 watts is a good number. The antenna also has a limitation of design in that it cannot transmit long distances. The frequency and residual power (from the incoming 4 watts or less) is not enough for powerful transmissions. The antenna is also very small with a small frequency wavelength so those combinations mean a shorter transmission range that the main energising tower has.

The way around this is to have lots of readers within reasonable proximity to detect the RFID's signal.

So you can have a few strategically placed transmitters within a city or regional area which can transmit the activating signal and then you have lots of small recievers dotted around the city or regional area to pick up the tranmissions by the RFIDs.

Perth is a fairly long city. It goes for about 100 kilometers along a north/south line. There are 2 CB radio repeaters which both transmit 5 watts. Both of these can transmit to about 75% of the city. So with one at each end of the city the whole city is covered with 50% of the city having overlapped signals from these repeaters.

I have mentioned this before. The analogue mobile/cell phone system was shut down and is being converted to an RFID transmit and receive system. They are using the same Cell phone towers which gives them a lot of coverage and close in so the signal is going to be at pretty good strentgh everywhere you go. Then all they have to do is deploy enough readers and they can be attached to anything. Streetlights, traffic lights, bus stops, road signs, cats eyes embedded in the road. You name it.

The RFID's are going be constantly triggered by this main RFID transmission system and if they happen to be close to a reader at the time then it will ping.

I recall reading that RFID's had been incorporated into new cars for about the last 3 or so years at that time. This was at least 2 and possibly 3 years ago now.
The way RFID works is that the passive tag (antenna connected to a small chip) is hit with some radiation at a certain frequency, and it opens and closes a switch which shorts out the antenna. This open then shorted antenna modulates the backscatter, which the reader detects. RFID can only transmit a couple hundred bytes at the most in this manner. Conventional RFID could never be used to send voice data. (Technically the first RFID by the russians was a a bug used in the us embassy, but this required a van parked outside sending a powerful directed beam at the bug, which itself was huge.)

The power that an RFID tag backscatters is miniscule. An RFID reader can transmit at the levels you mention (4 watts), but that is what it is transmitting. This spreads out in space and only a fraction of that hits the tag. Of that fraction, a fraction of that is backscattered. We're talking milliwatts, maybe microwatts reflected back. So under perfect conditions, the maximum read range of a tag is maybe 200 ft. That is absolutely perfect conditions - perfect alignment of the tag and reader, high gain antennas, free space environment. A more realistic number would be 30 - 40 feet, max. Reliably, about 20 - 25 feet for most tags.

The other thing is that a reader has to transmit and receive at the same time, on the same frequency, because it's sensing backscatter from it's own signal. What that means is that, unlike gps, wifi, or cell phones, the sensitivity of the receiver is diminished because of the large amount of dynamic range required It might be transmitting at +30 dBm, and receiving at -80 dBm. That's a 110 dB dynamic range. On the other hand, a gps receiver isn't transmitting at all, so it can receive at maybe -130 dBm.

Sitting in a car, with the tag randomly in your wallet someone would probably need to be 15 feet away from you for a semi-reliable read. Obviously if this was mounted on your car properly and not haphazardly in your pocket, it could be farther.

mightymanx
8th November 2011, 09:45 PM
The way RFID works is that the passive tag (antenna connected to a small chip) is hit with some radiation at a certain frequency, and it opens and closes a switch which shorts out the antenna. This open then shorted antenna modulates the backscatter, which the reader detects. RFID can only transmit a couple hundred bytes at the most in this manner. Conventional RFID could never be used to send voice data. (Technically the first RFID by the russians was a a bug used in the us embassy, but this required a van parked outside sending a powerful directed beam at the bug, which itself was huge.)

The power that an RFID tag backscatters is miniscule. An RFID reader can transmit at the levels you mention (4 watts), but that is what it is transmitting. This spreads out in space and only a fraction of that hits the tag. Of that fraction, a fraction of that is backscattered. We're talking milliwatts, maybe microwatts reflected back. So under perfect conditions, the maximum read range of a tag is maybe 200 ft. That is absolutely perfect conditions - perfect alignment of the tag and reader, high gain antennas, free space environment. A more realistic number would be 30 - 40 feet, max. Reliably, about 20 - 25 feet for most tags.

The other thing is that a reader has to transmit and receive at the same time, on the same frequency, because it's sensing backscatter from it's own signal. What that means is that, unlike gps, wifi, or cell phones, the sensitivity of the receiver is diminished because of the large amount of dynamic range required It might be transmitting at +30 dBm, and receiving at -80 dBm. That's a 110 dB dynamic range. On the other hand, a gps receiver isn't transmitting at all, so it can receive at maybe -130 dBm.

Sitting in a car, with the tag randomly in your wallet someone would probably need to be 15 feet away from you for a semi-reliable read. Obviously if this was mounted on your car properly and not haphazardly in your pocket, it could be farther.

Comming soon to every intersection and road sign streetlight and Post office approved mailbox near you

For the children of course so we have less "Amber Alerts."

vacuum
8th November 2011, 09:48 PM
Comming soon to every intersection and road sign streetlight and Post office approved mailbox near you

For the children of course so we have less "Amber Alerts."
I think this is pretty realistic.

joboo
9th November 2011, 01:41 AM
So I suppose it's going to be totally impossible for someone to create their own scanner, and start stealing everyone personal information.

One DIY scanner, visit the local mall, a couple hours later....several hundreds of stolen identities.

This sounds like the most idiotic idea I've heard of in a while.

Glass
9th November 2011, 05:07 AM

The transmitter and receiver do not have to go together IMO. My understanding of the system they are building here (in Oz) on the 900Mhz band is that the transmitter and the receiver are different systems/devices. The transmitters which will be as common or frequent as cell phone towers (old analogue cell network) and receivers of which there are many many more placed about the place in traffic signals, street lights, cats eyes etc. Anywhere were they can get the proximity to the target that these devices require to detect the passing tag.

I get the issues with propagation from the RFID's antenna. 900Mhz is some where around 1ft wavelength so the ideal antenna size is about 1ft. RFID chip antenna combos can range in size from rice sized - animal chipping or larger at 1" and even bigger for carton tracking. So size still an issue and transmitting strength is going to be limited because the antenna is made to electrically look like a 1 foot antenna while mechanically it is not 1ft in size. With these types of designs transmission power is lost due to these inefficiencies that can't be overcome.

For cars and shipping I can't see why they cannot use a different antenna design. They could go for a tradtional type of long antenna which extends from the RFID chip. This could easily be done on a vehicle or a large enough carton/box. A strand or two would all that is needed which could be adhered to the car or the box. This would improve the transmission efficiency making their job easier. RFID output power is still coming from the transmitter so again there is only so much that they can do in getting the most out of that power.

There are a lot of chips for different purposes. It's been several years since I researched it so I'd suspect decent improvements to overcome some of the limitations of the small size and limitted transmitting efficiencies. Research and actual hands on experience are two different things so I am confident there is a lot I don't know about it but I'm glad there are people on here abouts who know how all this stuff works.

Eitherway the tech concerns me and the Governments decision to build a whole network of RFID transmitters attached to the cell phone tower network across the country concerns me greatly. There is no explanation from them as to why they are doing it and that means for no good reason.

chad
9th November 2011, 05:47 AM
they put this in passports a few years ago. the border lady at the canadian side let me and a buddy look at her screen + showed us what it does (she kind of knows us; we cross a lot at the same place and always give her shit). your whole life is on there, and they know all about it before your car even drives up to the window.

where you live, court stuff, drivers infractions, number of times when/where you crossed the border, what kind of car you were driving & the time last time you crossed the border, anything licensed to you (cars, boats, trailers, motorcycles, etc) in the system, licenses in the system (hunting, fishing, etc). there were 2 screens of info on me.

palani
9th November 2011, 05:52 AM
there were 2 screens of info on me.

Shades of Ron White ... "They call me Tater Salad" under known aliases.

gunDriller
9th November 2011, 06:40 AM
coming soon next Christmas -

Our New Metal Wallet -
* Protects your credit cards from magnets
* Protects you from government GPS

Comes with Matching Cell-Phone Case - Keep Uncle Shylock out of your Pocket & Purse !

MNeagle
9th November 2011, 06:50 AM
Already on TV! https://www.alumawalletsale.com/?mid=1207389

I wonder if tin foil would be as effective??

sirgonzo420
9th November 2011, 06:50 AM
Already on TV! https://www.alumawalletsale.com/?mid=1207389

I wonder if tin foil would be as effective??

A second use for that hat!