PDA

View Full Version : 'We are looking straight into the face of a Great Depression'.

Ponce
10th November 2011, 04:43 AM
'We are looking straight into the face of a Great Depression'.

Rick Moran
Who said it? Some blow dried, CNBC Cassandra? Perhaps a Fox Business jokester?

Nope. MIT Sloan School of Management professor Simon Johnson speaking at the opening of the CFA conference in Paris:

"We have built a dangerous financial system in the United States and Europe," said the former chief economist at the International Monetary Fund. "We must step back and reform the system."

Professor Johnson cited alarming parallels with October 1931, when "people thought the worst was behind them, but the smart people were wrong and instead the crisis just broadened."

Johnson began his talk by pointing to the recent failure of MF Global (MF) as good news because it "barely caused a ripple in markets, despite its $40 billion balance sheet." But he contrasted this with the conundrum of "too-big-to-fail" banks in the financial system, which have all benefited hugely from an implicit state guarantee. Citigroup (C) survived even with $2.5 trillion of liabilities at the time of its rescue, Johnson noted, and the U.S. government-sponsored enterprises Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lobbied hard to pump up their risk - but both had to be rescued by the U.S. taxpayer.

We haven't learned a thing from 2008. All of the big banks - and big banks around the world - are horribly exposed. And it's deliberate, not an accident.

"The biggest banks are larger today than they were three years ago," said Johnson, who thinks they are basically carrying too little equity capital. Even Germany's Deutsche Bank, regarded as a strong bank, currently carries a €1.85 trillion balance sheet on the basis of equity capital of only €60 billion, a multiple of 31 times leverage. "The dark magic in banking math is risk-weighted assets," said Johnson. "It is an illusion to say we can calculate a risk free-rate on the basis of sovereign debt, which defaults on a regular basis." Agency issues such as executive appetite for risk in banks, highlighted by a recent academic paper by a trio of researchers, serve to pump up the risk in large banks.

For Johnson, recent financial reforms are not enough. Proponents of Dodd-Frank might point to measures by the Federal Deposit Insurance Company (FDIC). But Johnson thinks this U.S. institution has been shown as incapable of dealing with global cross-border institutions. The Lehman failure was certainly complicated by uncertainty surrounding overseas operations.

These banks know they are "too big to fail" and that governments have to bail them out if they get into trouble because the altnerative is the possibility that the entire financial system holding up the world economy would collapse - along with currencies, transportation systems, credit, and other vital sectors.

That's the danger of the European debt crisis. Not tiny Greece going under. But how close Italy, Spain, and perhaps even France are to going over the cliff, pushed by their institutional banks who are recklessly taking risks they should be prevented from doing.

You can't say we haven't been warned.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/11/we_are_looking_straight_into_the_face_of_a_great_d epression.html#ixzz1dIHow1Nz

gunDriller
10th November 2011, 05:51 AM
this has the background conditions that are far more severe than the Great Depression.

during the 1930's, the US was still a net exporter of oil.

The US was also the world's leading manufacturer.

despite the Dust Bowl, local farming was strong, and in most areas sufficient to feed people. they didn't need Mexicans to pick the crops, they had, among other people, my mother & her parents - they picked crops in the San Joaquin Valley when she was a child.

etc. There were fewer people. There were many fewer Hispanic-Americans. Having recently been involved in a 1-on-10 fight with a Mexican neighbor (he was angry that I asked him to keep his noisy pets indoors when he was at work ... also he was a local gang leader in Sonoma County), I can say for sure, in a clutch situation, many 'lines' will be drawn along racial lines. (it wasn't a physical fight. he used his leaf-blowers to make more noise. it escalated from there.)

oh yeah. and then there's the gun issue. Oakland for example. it reminds me of that scene in Aliens 2 when they tell the Imperial Marines that they can't use their guns on the Aliens and Bill Paxton says, "what are we supposed to use ? harsh language ?"

in Oakland, the police are withdrawing to their perimeter, publicly announcing that they won't deal with burglaries (except, i'm sure, in wealthy neighborhoods.) given Calif. gun laws, what are local citizens supposed to do ? their hands are tied, in some cases to defend themselves they have to 'go outlaw' - exposing themselves to criminal prosecution for "breaking gun laws".

not that i think it's much better in now bankrupt Birmingham Alabama, or Chicago (given Rahmbo's "if they are on the no-fly list for criticizing Bush, those 1 million Americans should lose their 2nd Amendment rights" statements.) now that he's MAYOR, i reckon that might be relevant.

yes, i definitely think we have the pre-conditions for a situation that is worse than the Great Depression. i wonder what cute names they'll come up with for it. personally, i just call it, "like the Great Depression, except with iPods & AK-47's". maybe they'll call it the iDepression, or Depression 2.0.

chad
10th November 2011, 05:55 AM
that's one of the things i like about where i live, gundriller. EVERYONE has either a 30-06, winchester 270, or 30-30 in their house for deer hunting purposes. i would venture to say 9/10 households have at least one of these rifles inside. people know it and conduct themselves accordingly.

mick silver
10th November 2011, 06:01 AM
i just dont see it . if they wanting a great depression it would of happen by now . the way there going at it , it more like a great slow kill off . i would say everyone around me has 10 or more guns in there homes

Glass
10th November 2011, 09:57 AM
The Great Oppression or Suppression even? might be a bit too edgy for the public. The Great Recovery? The Great Wasting? I don't know. I was hoping the govt structure would collapse but it doesn't look like it will on it's own.

Joe King
10th November 2011, 10:03 AM
i just dont see it . if they wanting a great depression it would of happen by now . the way there going at it , it more like a great slow kill off . i would say everyone around me as 10 or more guns in there homesWhat you're seeing is evidence of the so-called "soft landing" that's been referred to as being desirable.
The difference between a hard landing and a soft landing is rate of descent over time. In either case though, the destination is the same.

mightymanx
10th November 2011, 10:12 AM
Food is is the real question most have guns and not much food that is a bad combo.

A recipe for disaster (pun not intended)

Guns are great but they don't feed you and once the idea catches on "I'll just take some food" millions will die from that notion.

Then millions will die from the disease that comes from having large quantifies of bodies laying around.

It is not going to be fun I feel bad for the city dwellers, they are going to be exposed to untold hell from every angle. Stalingrad with the Feds "containing the problem" instead of the German army.

Ponce
10th November 2011, 10:16 AM
I would say that at this time the power to be are working very hard in making plans as to how to control us better when what we are waiting for happens........to me this is like at a horse race where everything has to be just right before they open the gate......and then.......you better get the hell out of the way.

keehah
10th November 2011, 10:31 AM
I'll put the start at 2009 when I lost (forever) my corporate cushy job (that was also soul and planet's resources destroying of other people's money so they can continue to deny power problems).

I recall John Kenneth Galbraith's book on the great depression that showed 1932 New York Times headline (as example of others) saying basically 'this little recession is over'.

So I expect after 2012 more people will admit something has changed.

One can only work on any solution after one has admitted they have a problem.

_____

Are we sliding into a depression while Obama keeps banking on the old ways? (http://isiria.wordpress.com/2009/03/08/are-we-sliding-into-a-depression-while-obama-keeps-banking-on-the-old-ways/)
Posted: March 8, 2009

[March 4, 1933]
“This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today….Values have shrunken to fantastic levels….our ability to pay has fallen; government of all kinds is faced by serious curtailment of income; the means of exchange are frozen in the currents of trade; the withered leaves of industrial enterprise lie on every side….the savings of many years of thousands of families are gone.”

“More important, a host of unemployed citizens face the grim problem of existence, and an equally great number toil with little return. Only a foolish optimist can deny the dark realities of the moment.”

“Primarily this is because the rulers of the exchange of mankind’s goods have failed, through their own stubbornness and their own incompetence, have admitted their failure, and abdicated. Practices of the unscrupulous money changers indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the hearts and minds of men….Faced by failure of credit they have proposed only the lending of more money (and exhortations) to follow their false leadership. They have no vision, and when there is (none) the people perish.”

“The money changers have fled from their high seats in the temple of our civilization. We may now restore (it. Doing it will involve) the extent to which we apply social values more noble than mere monetary profit….there must be an end to a conduct in banking and in business which too often (results in) callous and selfish wrongdoing. (We need) action and now….to put people to work….(by redistributing land to those) best fitted (to use it (and) by preventing the tragedy of….foreclosure of our small homes and our farms.”

We need in place “safeguards against a return of the evils of the old order; there must be strict supervision of all banking and credits and investments; there must be an end to speculation with other people’s money, and there must be provision for an adequate but sound currency….For the trust reposed in me, I will return the courage and the devotion that befit the time. I can do no less.”

- Franklin Roosevelt delivered his March 4, 1933 inaugural address

Horn
10th November 2011, 12:54 PM
there must be an end to speculation with other people’s money, and there must be provision for an adequate but sound currency….FDR

And also an end to joining other's zionist pyramid building war agenda.

gunDriller
11th November 2011, 05:22 AM
The Great Oppression or Suppression even? might be a bit too edgy for the public. The Great Recovery? The Great Wasting? I don't know. I was hoping the govt structure would collapse but it doesn't look like it will on it's own.

the Great Enema ?

oh, that would be Israel, the Great Enemy. ('enema' - that's how Southerners say 'enemy').

the Great - which body function makes the best metaphor ?

the Great Pimple Pop ?

the Great Impacted Bowel ?

the Great Kidney Stone ? (painful)

the Great Cancer (another Zionism reference).

i'm having trouble keeping my Zionism references separate from my Depression references.

of course, the Zionists' access to funding puts them in the cat-bird-seat when assets are available for 10 cents on the $, during the Depression.

the Great Root Canal ?