PDA

View Full Version : Riverside County, California To Charge Prisoners $142 Per Day Of Their Stay .

Ponce
10th November 2011, 02:41 PM
This was tested many years ago, anytime that someone would put some money into your account in prison for personal use the prison would keep it......after two months they gave up because no one was getting any money into their account.
==========================================

Riverside County, California To Charge Prisoners $142 Per Day Of Their Stay.

In one southern California county, prisoners will soon have to pay for the privilege of staying in jail.

Riverside County, California will start charging prisoners $142.42 per day of their prison stay, CNNMoney reports. The county's board of supervisors approved the measure on Tuesday as a way to save an estimated $3 to $5 million per year. Not every prisoner will be forced to pay up, however. The county will review each prisoner's case individually to determine if they can afford the fee.

The fee comes as the California correctional system continues to struggle with budget woes. Last month, in an effort to save money, the state transferred responsibility for lower-level drug offenders, thieves and other convicts to counties. The "prison realignment" is one of many measures the state has taken in recent years to close its budget gap. The California Supreme Court is considering this week whether the state broke the law when it used re-development funds to close a shortfall a few years ago, according to the Wall Street Journal.

But at some prisons, there still may be room for cost cuts. A California prison nurse was paid a salary of $269,810 in 2010 after working thousands of hours in overtime. Indeed, the five highest-paid California state employees all work in the prison system, according to LA Weekly.

California isn't the only state coping with cuts to its budget and prison system. Jefferson County, Alabama filed for the biggest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history Wednesday after amassing massive debt and contending with a huge budget shortfall.

Other states have also considered extreme measures in order to cut prison-related costs. In Washington, corrections officials are considering leaving unsupervised thousands of former prisoners currently on parol in an attempt to cut costs, according to the Seattle Times. Thousands of prisoners in Texas have been eating two meals a day on weekends since April in a bid to save the prison system money. In Camden County, Georgia, officials mulled the idea of sending prisoners to work as firefighters to cope with budget woes.

But some have pushed back against the trend. In Minnesota, department of corrections officials argued in April that proposed cuts to the state's prison system were so deep that they would endanger public safety, according to CBS Minnesota. While in New York, the State Corrections Officers Union, told Gov. Andrew Coumo in February that his proposal to cut 3,500 prison beds would put guards who look over violent inmates in danger, the New York Daily News reported.

Though the lingering effects of the recession only made worse the budget woes of many prison systems, the problem wasn't born out of the financial crisis. The number of offenders serving life sentences in prison quadrupled between 1984 and 2008, USA Today reports.

And while state prisons may be suffering, federal prisons are filling that same pinch. President Obama's combined budget requests for fiscal years 2011 and 2012 included a 10 percent increase in funding for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, bringing the total to more than $6.8 billion, according to Mother Jones.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/10/riverside-county-california-prisons_n_1085983.html

DMac
10th November 2011, 02:47 PM
What a great idea. First imprison people for non violent crimes (pot works real well). Then tax their families for the privilege of paying the private corporations that now own the prison system. Finally charge the inmates themselves rent for the luxury of living in these roach infested, disease ridden hell holes.

Profit!

That fee is higher than my rent.

Dogman
10th November 2011, 02:48 PM
Well one needs to keep the stock and bond holders happy! 1540

palani
10th November 2011, 03:39 PM
Thru bonds these prisoners already pay for their "rehabilitation". Just like the mortgage fiasco where the banks aren't making as much by usury as they are by fractional reserve principles there is no limit to greed.

ximmy
10th November 2011, 03:56 PM
Not every prisoner will be forced to pay up, however. The county will review each prisoner's case individually to determine if they can afford the fee.

Future earnings potential, stocks & bonds, savings & retirement, real estate, inheritance, annuities, family contributions, etc. will all be evaluated and weighed in determining amounts to be paid to the state.

Plastic
10th November 2011, 06:16 PM
All the more reason to have as much of your assets outside of the system as possible.

BrewTech
10th November 2011, 06:35 PM
They've been charging inmates for their stays for a while now. Get a DUI (from CHP) in Riverside county and spend the night in jail? Expect a bill from both the CHP and the county for their services. Thankfully, it's never happened to me, but everyone knows someone...

joboo
10th November 2011, 07:50 PM
Let everyone caught smoking a joint go free.

There...half the prison population financial burden taken care of.

vacuum
10th November 2011, 07:58 PM
Deport all the illegals who are in jail?

mightymanx
10th November 2011, 09:09 PM
142 is more than the Hilton in my area.

and Prison probably does not have scratchy towels.

Hatha Sunahara
10th November 2011, 09:51 PM
Doesn't this just show you how the world is run by some really heartless bastards. People who have an instinct to enslave other people. And they get to do it with official approval because their bosses are all authoritarians down to their bones. And you combine this with a corrupt justice system, nobody is safe. We have no rights and no power, and these authoritarian a**holes will keep sticking it to all of us for as long as they can get away with it. The intention here is to prey on more successful people caught up in a rotten justice system.

Hatha

BrewTech
12th November 2011, 06:55 AM
A guy breaks into my house and steals my shit that I worked hard everyday so I could afford it and then when he gets caught, I have to pay for his defense and then when found guilty an thrown in jail I have to pay for a roof over his head and 3 meals a day and cable TV.

Fuk that, he can pay for his meals in prison or starve as far as I'm concerned, he was a leach on society when he was out of prison and still a leach on society in prison.

Why am I expected to pay when he is not?
I am busy working overtime so I can replace the shit he stole.

What about those people (many many) that go to jail for victimless policy violations. Should they starve too?

palani
12th November 2011, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure I understand the term "victimless policy violations"

For example it is against law enforcements' policy to be a witness to their crimes against society. Being a witness is discouraged by various methods. Incarceration is by far the preferred method (to the witness) than termination.

po boy
12th November 2011, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure I understand the term "victimless policy violations"

Did they roll the dice and knowingly break the law that you call victimless policy violations?

I believe that if a person knows they are breaking the law and still chooses to do so with the hopes that they don't get caught but yet do manage to get caught, then they should have to take responsibility for their choice, I didn't make the choice for them so I shouldn't have to pay as a result of it.

Just because you don't agree with a law, it doesn't exempt you from having to obey the law but you still have a choice on whether or not you will.

Do you know all the laws of your state or how many you may be breaking/ Wait till you end up on the other side of the fence.

BTW I've had many things stolen and even if I caught the guy/gay I still wouldn't starve them. Hell I wouldn't even call the police as it's a waste of time and money.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594032556

also http://www.mind-trek.com/articles/pct07a.htm
The Common Law Alternative To The Law Enforcement Growth Industry

po boy
12th November 2011, 02:01 PM
Your post doesn't even pertain to what I posted and you quoted because you are talking about something completely different.

If you go back you will see that I clearly used the words "Knowingly breaks the law" and "knows they are breaking the law"

Nice try though ::)

I was pointing that your example is pure fantasy as compared to the reality. I remember seeing a grandfather facing a felony for breaking up a fight between a bully fighting with his granddaughter.

No harm was done to the little bully it was a policy he violated.

You know all the laws, you must be real smart.
It seems to me your an advocate of the police state.

Joe King
12th November 2011, 02:09 PM
Your post doesn't even pertain to what I posted and you quoted because you are talking about something completely different.

If you go back you will see that I clearly used the words "Knowingly breaks the law" and "knows they are breaking the law"

Nice try though ::)Cobalt,I believe the distinction here is wheteher or not there is an actual victim, as opposed to the "violated the peace and dignity of the State" type of infractions.

If there is an actual victim, the $ charged should go to the victim as a form of restitution.
If there is no actual victim, yet society mistakenly dictates a prison term, the cost should be 100% paid for by society. Including medical.